a CB in the Scottish Highlands

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
This is in the baby stages at this point, but i've got some plans to fly into scotland, pick up a CB1000R and spend a week tearing up all over those lovely single track roads and winding hills in Scotland.

So, first and foremost, members who live in the UK: have you ridden the scottish highlands? what "must hit" points on the map can you reccommend?

Other members who have also traveled to Scotland to do something similar to what i'm doing, what important nuggets of information can you impart? got a specific rec for a rental service?

finally, What time of year is going to be the absolute best riding weather, or at least the safest?
 
This fellow has several videos from his Scotland tour. It may be useful for you.

I'm simply shocked at how narrow the roads are in the islands and Norway!
Oops! Here's the link:
 
North Coast 500 - google is your friend!

Plenty of YouTube content too, with good and not so good weather included!

For example (this is episode 5 of a set )....
 
Go for it, misterprofessionality. Where you lead others may well follow.
 
Thread starter
thanks for all the videos guys. i hadn't yet seen those.

videos like that are part of what inspired me to do this, but right now what i'm primarily looking for are specific road names/numbers to target, and specific landmarks to target. lots of those videos are unfortunately extremely vague about exactly what road they're on.

I know there are tons of castles and other special landmarks in Scotland, and I want to hit as many as I can without getting bogged down trying to see **everything. The approach i'm taking now is to see if any of you who have been have advice about what i absolutely must see.

The NC500 is of course going to be a big part of the trip, with special mention to a loop of road in the area of Drumbeg. on a map, that road looks absolutely phenominal. as for looping the entire NC500 though? i'm not sure if i'll do that in one stretch. there's so much in the interior i'm interested in seeing and riding, that i don't want to just loop around it.
 
When are you planning to do this ride MrP. I now have family in Scotland that I'm committed to visiting regularly and combining that with some motorcycle activity would be fantastic. I've not ridden a bike there, but I have driven a bit around Perth, Aberfeldy, Pitlochry, Dunkeld and there are some very pretty roads. Some years ago, I drove from Fort William to Ballater. It was lovely and I suspect there are way better roads to ride than the ones we drove on.

I'm pretty keen to explore the NC500 sometime.
 
Thread starter
he's thinking of the NC700. :-p

fun fact, there's a motorcycle hire company in inverness that carries nothing but NC700's you can rent to ride the NC500. i chuckled when i found that out.

Cormanus: the plan is not yet set in stone. i don't even yet know what the best time of year is to be down there. if August is good, then it will probably be August 2020. if the best time is earlier like April or May, then I will wait til 2021.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
This is in the baby stages at this point, but i've got some plans to fly into scotland, pick up a CB1000R and spend a week tearing up all over those lovely single track roads and winding hills in Scotland.

So, first and foremost, members who live in the UK: have you ridden the scottish highlands? what "must hit" points on the map can you reccommend?

Other members who have also traveled to Scotland to do something similar to what i'm doing, what important nuggets of information can you impart? got a specific rec for a rental service?

finally, What time of year is going to be the absolute best riding weather, or at least the safest?
I didn't know you could use the concepts "good weather" and "Scotland" in a single post!

Anyway: in summer, daylight stays "forever", and in winter, it's dark nigth pretty eary. This will be the only natural phenomena that won't be random and can be planned in advance, so... go now, when days are longer!
 
Hi mister - Have a look at "Scottish Tour" by WK57ABF on this forum, it might give you a few ideas but the guy to ask is "Wisedrum" i met him in Glencoe and he has toured Scotland far more than myself - I'm sure he will be along shortly with some advice.
The traffic is light in the Highlands all year - hope you enjoy your trip - its beautiful.
John
 
Thread starter
good to know, thanks WK. i'm trying to balance "acceptable weather" (since my wife will be along, and she won't tolerate excessive cold the way I will) with "acceptable traffic" (not so many people in the way of the CB1000R i intend to rent) but it's good to know that the traffic is really a non-issue. that means i can just focus on average temperature and rainfall statistics.

I have read a lot of Wisedrum's posts and had suspected he might turn up with some poignant information. I'll wait patiently.
 
Hi mister - don't worry about the cold and rainfall - I'm in my late 70's and don't find it an issue - the Scots have a wonderful drink to keep out the cold.
John
 
Thread starter
however, that drink sadly does not mix well with motorcycling on wet roads!! not a good plan my friend!

in all seriousness, i'm not at all worried about the cold. i regularly commute in 30 degreeF weather here at home during the winter. It's just that my wife will be with me on her own bike, and she will not tolerate anything lower than probably 50. I know her well, there's no negotiating that part.
 
Yes, Stichill, I was in Scotland in summer a couple of years ago, at the same time as WK57ABF and Wisedrum (although in a different part), and it was wet and decidedly cool. I don’t think you can guarantee any period when it will be warm and dry.
 
I can confirm that weather 2 years ago except it wasn't really cold. Also not way up in the Highlands.

But fortunately or unfortunately as you like to see it, it was always a mixture of rain for one hour or so followed by sun and so on. So got dry and wet and dry and wet etc. . One can get used to it. At least you have no other choice if you want to ride in Scotland and even England. I don't expect no other weather this year in Irland. Plan to leave for a trip to ride there in the end of this month. I will be happy, if I can build up and pack my tent without rain each day...

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top