A Bike You Would Like to Own, If Only

Thread starter
jimigalahad_imp said:
The real answer for me would be more bikes. A sport tourer, a supersport, and supermoto to go along with my cb1100.

After seeing this video, I'm tickled with the thought of owning a little inline-4 250 though.
Cool! Reminds me of Honda's 6cyl 250 race bike from the 60's.

 
The Spaceman_imp said:
calamarichris_imp said:
Kawasaki W800. If only it was imported into the US. Alas, I would trade 3 (hideous wannabe Harley Sportsters IMO) Triumph Bonneville Americas for one of these legally registered here.
Australians may have funny accents, lousy beer, and drive on the wrong side of the road, but I envy them for having access to this bike.

ab022bd5ac573ce173c43d5e4d20ddf3.jpg



And here's what a "Triumph" looks like when it wants to look like a Harley triumph.

This bit of cartoonish grotesquery was Triumph's best-selling overall model at exactly the same time Kawasaki decided to discontinue sales of the W650 in the US, due to sluggish sales.
"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just." -T. Jefferson
This is one of my favorite "Unobtainiums" too. Last year they had a Special Edition with gold wheels and some other goodies that was just gorgeous.
SanPete_imp said:
Indian target market are Harley owners. You can stand them side by side and not know the difference. Their motto could be "our bike looks like yours but are better and cheaper". I am not against Indian, just their approach.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
This was certainly true back in the "CMC" iteration of Indian from 06-11. At the time they were using S&S Evo engines that were direct clones of HDs. The IMC versions were somewhat better with the unique "Bottlecap" engines, but they still very much an HD clone, IMO.

Today I think Polaris deserves major kudos for engineering a new Indian bike from the ground up. The Power Plus 103 engine is a tribute to the classic Indian engines in a way very similar to our CBs vs. the original CBs. I've read the engine kicks ass power-wise. And although I don't like the valanced fender, mega cruiser bike style myself, I don't think anyone is going to mistake a Chieftain for an Ultra Classic.
I've changed my mind on the Multi. Now I want one of these:

http://www.ducatiusa.com/bikes/monster_1200/index.do
You may be comparing the wrong two bikes. There was an article last year from motorcycle-usa.com comparing the "2014 Heritage Softail vs Indian Chief Vintage" here is an excerpt from that article. " we pit the 2014 Indian Chief Vintage against the 2014 Harley Heritage Softail Classic. Externally, the two are carbon copies of one another, big classic-cued cruisers clad in chrome, swooping fenders and softail-style suspension." I can't say it better than this. If I had to choose between these two bikes, I would take the Indian. But if I had to choose from all the bikes mentioned here I would probably choose the Kawasaki W800. Now if only Greg could show us a picture of his. A thing of beauty!

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/17...Heritage-Softail-vs-Indian-Chief-Vintage.aspx
 
I guess I'm on a real family kick this evening.

I'd love to own a couple of dirt bikes (one for me and one for my son). Maybe some old Honda XRs or some newer Honda CRF trail bikes. That would make for such a great experience for us to share.

There are plenty of older bikes I wouldn't mind owning. And even though I can't afford one right now, nor do I really have a need for one, I can't help but keep an eye out for a pristine blue/green 1970 CB350 like the one my dad used to own.:
0c38fc496b85c30b9df32608606b427e.jpg
 
Guth.. I bought a new 1969 CB 350 just like that after I totaled my 305 scrambler by stuffing it in the passenger door of a 54 Buick that turned in front of me. I added the matching right mirror ( an option then) for $7 lol...probably a dozen years later I was the parts manager at that dealership.... ahhh the memories
 
SanPete_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
calamarichris_imp said:
Kawasaki W800. If only it was imported into the US. Alas, I would trade 3 (hideous wannabe Harley Sportsters IMO) Triumph Bonneville Americas for one of these legally registered here.
Australians may have funny accents, lousy beer, and drive on the wrong side of the road, but I envy them for having access to this bike.

ab022bd5ac573ce173c43d5e4d20ddf3.jpg



And here's what a "Triumph" looks like when it wants to look like a Harley triumph.

This bit of cartoonish grotesquery was Triumph's best-selling overall model at exactly the same time Kawasaki decided to discontinue sales of the W650 in the US, due to sluggish sales.
"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just." -T. Jefferson
This is one of my favorite "Unobtainiums" too. Last year they had a Special Edition with gold wheels and some other goodies that was just gorgeous.
SanPete_imp said:
Indian target market are Harley owners. You can stand them side by side and not know the difference. Their motto could be "our bike looks like yours but are better and cheaper". I am not against Indian, just their approach.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
This was certainly true back in the "CMC" iteration of Indian from 06-11. At the time they were using S&S Evo engines that were direct clones of HDs. The IMC versions were somewhat better with the unique "Bottlecap" engines, but they still very much an HD clone, IMO.

Today I think Polaris deserves major kudos for engineering a new Indian bike from the ground up. The Power Plus 103 engine is a tribute to the classic Indian engines in a way very similar to our CBs vs. the original CBs. I've read the engine kicks ass power-wise. And although I don't like the valanced fender, mega cruiser bike style myself, I don't think anyone is going to mistake a Chieftain for an Ultra Classic.
I've changed my mind on the Multi. Now I want one of these:

http://www.ducatiusa.com/bikes/monster_1200/index.do
You may be comparing the wrong two bikes. There was an article last year from motorcycle-usa.com comparing the "2014 Heritage Softail vs Indian Chief Vintage" here is an excerpt from that article. " we pit the 2014 Indian Chief Vintage against the 2014 Harley Heritage Softail Classic. Externally, the two are carbon copies of one another, big classic-cued cruisers clad in chrome, swooping fenders and softail-style suspension." I can't say it better than this. If I had to choose between these two bikes, I would take the Indian. But if I had to choose from all the bikes mentioned here I would probably choose the Kawasaki W800. Now if only Greg could show us a picture of his. A thing of beauty!

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/17...Heritage-Softail-vs-Indian-Chief-Vintage.aspx
You may be comparing the wrong two bikes. There was an article last year from motorcycle-usa.com comparing the "2014 Heritage Softail vs Indian Chief Vintage" here is an excerpt from that article. " we pit the 2014 Indian Chief Vintage against the 2014 Harley Heritage Softail Classic. Externally, the two are carbon copies of one another, big classic-cued cruisers clad in chrome, swooping fenders and softail-style suspension." I can't say it better than this. If I had to choose between these two bikes, I would take the Indian. But if I had to choose from all the bikes mentioned here I would probably choose the Kawasaki W800. Now if only Greg could show us a picture of his. A thing of beauty!

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/17...Heritage-Softail-vs-Indian-Chief-Vintage.aspx
The same sort of analogy could be made comparing a Kawasaki 1200 ZRX & our Honda CB 1100's. Similar to be sure (and I like them both) but just not the same. The Kawi is faster, the Honda is prettier. The Indian is prettier than H-D's Heritage Softail too.
 
Guth_imp said:
I guess I'm on a real family kick this evening.

I'd love to own a couple of dirt bikes (one for me and one for my son). Maybe some old Honda XRs or some newer Honda CRF trail bikes. That would make for such a great experience for us to share.

There are plenty of older bikes I wouldn't mind owning. And even though I can't afford one right now, nor do I really have a need for one, I can't help but keep an eye out for a pristine blue/green 1970 CB350 like the one my dad used to own.:
0c38fc496b85c30b9df32608606b427e.jpg
Awesome! My Pa bought this little 175 before he went to Vietnam, and when he came back from the war, he had a little riding buddy to go bar-hopping with. (I was born while he was at war, and he used to ride on the tank.)

 
The first bike I owned was a CB175 like calamarichris's dad's. I thought the CB350 like Guth's dad's was just the duck's guts. All that unimaginable power.

Funny how things change.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The first bike I owned was a CB175 like calamarichris's dad's. I thought the CB350 like Guth's dad's was just the duck's guts. All that unimaginable power.

Funny how things change.
Since we're talking about the old twins, here's my 1972 CB175. She's a beloved family heirloom and one of the first bikes I ever got to ride on the back of as a kid.

As far as other bikes I'd love to own (aside from a CB1100 deluxe one of these days) would be the early '80's CB900 Custom with the unique dual range transmission!
 
redbirds_imp said:
That old 175 is gorgeous Kitch.:thumbsup:
Thank you! Believe it not after all these years I never saw another one like her until last year...same year and color too! I still see running examples of her more famous (and numerous)CB350 big sister though.
 
Thanks for the picture Kitch. Brings back many happy memories.
 
[/QUOTE]
As far as other bikes I'd love to own (aside from a CB1100 deluxe one of these days) would be the early '80's CB900 Custom with the unique dual range transmission!
[/QUOTE]

I had one of those CB900s, I believe it was an '82 model, blue one. I loved that bike, but to be honest, I seldom ever used the dual range tranny. Most of my riding on that bike was around town, so I seldom had use for the high range. Like the CB1100, it was an easy bike to just tool around on. :thumbsup:
 
The dual speed tranny was just a gimmick by Honda. They used a Gold Wing rear end which was driven on the right, and the engine from the Dohc inline 4 series which was chain driven on the left. They used the dual range case to transfer power from 1 side to the other. Clever, but virtually useless in real life.
 
The ferret_imp said:
The dual speed tranny was just a gimmick by Honda. They used a Gold Wing rear end which was driven on the right, and the engine from the Dohc inline 4 series which was chain driven on the left. They used the dual range case to transfer power from 1 side to the other. Clever, but virtually useless in real life.
Interesting, I had that bike for a little over a year and never really thought about that. I didn't get anything out of the dual range, if I remember correctly, sometimes I wasn't completely certain if I was in hi or lo.
 
My dream bike was the Kaw GPz 750 Turbo. Kaw brought their bikes to the track to try and entice the local club riders in '84. I rode the new 900r (the original Ninja) first and was pretty impressed.

The next ride was 4 hot laps on new Turbo and I was blown away. At the time, 112 hp from a 750 class bike was unheard of. I clearly recall opening it up coming out of the final turn on to the straightaway and passing through 120 mph, turbo screaming, before I was halfway to the next turn. Soon after I experienced the wonder of modern (for the day) triple discs. :D

After that ride I attempted to buy one. I could afford the payments on the $4500 bike, but it turned out that the insurance cost (for a 23 yr. old squidly kid) would be equal to the bike payments. That was the deal breaker. These days it's nearly impossible to find one that hasn't been beat to death.

70dea9e0be6450497f3d625da4a5f975.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
The dual speed tranny was just a gimmick by Honda. They used a Gold Wing rear end which was driven on the right, and the engine from the Dohc inline 4 series which was chain driven on the left. They used the dual range case to transfer power from 1 side to the other. Clever, but virtually useless in real life.
Was the idea to change the ratio of the standard gears by stepping up or down a range in the transfer case? It does seem silly for a bike, although it might be useful for an off road vehicle...
 
Yes around town you could use the lower ratio for more pick up, out on the road the higher ratio for easier cruising. In reality most people stuck it in the higher ratio and just left it there.
 
The ferret_imp said:
The dual speed tranny was just a gimmick by Honda. They used a Gold Wing rear end which was driven on the right, and the engine from the Dohc inline 4 series which was chain driven on the left. They used the dual range case to transfer power from 1 side to the other. Clever, but virtually useless in real life.
Thanks for the info!

I had read somewhere that most owners would use the lower range and then once on the highway in 5th, would shift to the high range for a sort of overdrive. Still, I liked the styling of the 650, 750, 900/1000 Customs...a final homage to the older CB's in some ways as the F models and early Nighthawks were on the rise with sportier looks.
 
Back
Top