Average number years you own a bike

First post in a long time -- since trading my CB and Fury for Harley Sport Glide...

Kawasaki VN800 bought new in '97, sold after 19 years
Harley Wide Glide bought new in '04, sold after 15 years

CB1100 only lasted about 3 years.

Lots of CB750's in the early to mid '70s (about one a year) -- usually bought used late one year and sold late the next -- so they averaged about one year each
 
Of the bikes that I still own:
1985 YAMAHA RZ350..........30 years 2014 HONDA CB1100 DELUXE..4 years
1998 ATK 605 ES................22 years 2016 BMW R1200R.................4 years
1999 KAWASAKI ZRX 1100...21 years 2019 KAWASAKI Z900RS.........4 mo.
1999 KAWASAKI ZRX1100...19 years
2006 DUCATI S2R 1000.......14 years
2009 H-D ROAD KING..........9 years
 
Yea color me green with envy. Although I'm glad I don't have to maintain them all lol
 
Yes, getting to be too much to maintain the carbs on the 2 ZRXes and the RZ.......the ethanol fuel plugs up the pilot jets in the 3 months they sit while we’re in Idaho.....so after I get them running I’ll be selling them and the only carbed bike I have to worry about is my ATK....
 
1990 Suzuki GS500E (new): 11 years
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthawk (new): 18 years and counting
2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe (new): 5 years and counting
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
During my first 3 years of motorcycling I changed motorcycles every year.
I modified a BSA Lightning into a café racer and kept it 3 years.
After that I went back to my yearly changes for another 3 years.
Restored a 1971 BSA Lightning and kept it 3 years.
Bought a 1980 Yamaha 1100G and added a lot of Vetter touring accessories to it.
Traded it in on a 1982 Honda Aspencade and kept it 7 years.
Had a 25 year hiatus from motorcycling and bought a CB500XA in 2014.
Traded it in on a 2017 CB1100 EX which I have kept.
 
09 Hyosung GV 250 2 years but 12 months of that was deployed so can’t count all of it

Yamaha 950 Tourer (year?) 3 years

2009 Harley Davidson Low Rider 4 years

2013 Yamaha FJR1300 about 18 months

(Current) 2014 Honda CB1100 so far less than 2 months- just bought it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Just voted 2-4 years based on my other four bikes over the last few years. But I think I'm keeping the CB. It does my heart good every time I see/sit/ride it.:biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker:
 
Voted 5-7 years based on two bikes:
2003 Interceptor 2009-2014
2014 CB1100 DLX 2014-????

Great to see all the different bikes people have owned. Always impressive.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Sitting hear trying to take my mind off the Corona virus thing--my wife just returned from Costa Rica, has sore throat, chills, slight fever; online doc says no need to test...yet.
:huh:

I was looking at some 3-4 year old threads and saw lots of usernames that I don't see any more. I wonder if they've moved on from the CB1100. Which made me wonder how long riders own their motorcylces in general.

Question: What's the average number of years you have owned your motorcycles? If you have owned too many to recall, maybe just report on the last 5-7 bikes you've owned. Maybe discard bikes that you bought and then sold immediately after for whatever reason. Indicate bike and whether bought used or new.

My example:
2004 HD Sportster 1200 (new): 8 years
2007 Kawa KLR650 (used): 12 years and counting
2013 Honda CGL125 (new): 4 years
2014 Honda CB1100 (new): 2 years
2017 Honda CB1100 (new): 2 years and counting

Average # of years I own a bike so far: 28 years / 5 bikes = 5.6 years

Outliers: I owned a couple of Yamaha XS650s, but only for a few months, and I owned a Triumph Street Twin for a whole month. Not including these.
Hi, at 65 and still riding like crazy 3 different bikes, I will probably die with my two Hondas. The Z900RS is so fast, especially now with the Akrapovic Headers and exhaust & K&N air filter, I may sell it out of survival instinct. If I do, I will put it on this forum first to give my fellow CB riders a chance at it. It does draw a lot of attention nowadays. I am putting a "Booster Plug" on it this week or next to smooth out the acceleration curve and gas usage. It is a looker. Will post pixs of all 3 soon.

1969 Suzuki Wolf (new): 3 years
1972 Honda CB175 (used): 10 years
1998 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder (new): 5 years~Totaled it
2003 Kawasaki 1500 Nomad (new): 2 years
2003 Triumph Speedmaster (new): 8 years~~~First Year~Wish I had kept it!
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS (new): riding
2013 Honda CB1100 (used) 2nd year now-riding
2017 Honda CB1100EX (used) 4 months now-riding
 
Back
Top