A Bike You Would Like to Own, If Only

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
When I was shopping for a new bike last month, I stopped by a dealer to look at a new V-strom. This dealer also carries KTM and on the floor was the new 1190 Adventure. This is one beautiful bike if it can be said of adventure style bikes in general, and my "want one" meter immediately went off the scale. My last bike of this genre was a 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 and I have regretted selling it since I watched it ridden away by the new owner. All bikes in this category are tall but I was able to adapt my stubby body to the Tiger but the KTM is taller yet, that and the price was enough to cool my jets.

If only!

http://www.ktm.com/us/travel/1190-adventure-eu/highlights.html#.UvoglWJdVv8
 
Cycle World just came out with the 1190 on the cover, asking " Is KTM's 1190 the best all-around bike in the world?"

I had to think about your question for awhile.. and I've pretty much run the gamete on motorcycles. I've had singles, twins, triples, fours, two strokes, 4 strokes, on road, off road, liquid cooled, air cooled, chain, belt and shaft drive, automatics, 3 speeds, 4 speeds, 5 speeds, 6 speeds, totally naked, fully dressed

If I had Leno money, I'd own a lot of bikes. But I don't. I'd like to own an immaculate late 70s BMW R75-R100. I'd like to own a 1967 Triumph Bonneville in Burgoine and white. I'd like to own a 1979 Honda CBX in red.

As far as modern bikes go, if someone handed me a check for say $ 20,000 and said here, go buy any modern bike you desire, honestly, there's nothing out there that I would really want.. Maybe a BMW R 1200R. maybe a Ninja 1000 or a Yamaha FJR. Would probably be a lightweight sport tourer of some sort. Don't know..nothing is clawing at my guts to own right now, that I don't already own.

Interesting question to ponder.
 
Thread starter
Ferret, I'm still on the Tiger forum and one of the guys there (in the UK) bought one a while back. He is a long time rider of sound judgement. His evaluation, the best bike he's ever owned by far. But then again, he's one of those "lucky" tall guys.
 
Lucky guy..being tall would open up a world of possibilities on motorcycles one could ride. I'm pretty much limited to 32" seat height or less.
 
I want to own one Ducati before I croak. Its a shame they don't make the GT series anymore, but a MultiStrada would be a nice consolation prize.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lucky guy..being tall would open up a world of possibilities on motorcycles one could ride. I'm pretty much limited to 32" seat height or less.
No kidding. Every motorcycle I have ever had in my life has been too big for me but I have just managed to get by some how. I just deal with it. Tall people have the world by the ass when it comes to motorcycle choices.
 
Indian target market are Harley owners. You can stand them side by side and not know the difference. Their motto could be "our bike looks like yours but are better and cheaper". I am not against Indian, just their approach.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
 
Funny, I have little lust over modern bikes, particularly expensive, complex ones. I find the combination of the CB 1100 and Tiger 800 to be just about all I need for the type and amount of riding I typically do. And I like having vintage, fixer- upper or 'special' bikes to tinker on and show. If I was to get a new bike, no regards for price, dealer location or practicality, it might either be a Norton 961, BMW s1000R or a KTM Super Duke 1290. I need none of them, and I can't say I lose sleep over not having any of them.

I suppose a nice touring bike, like a Triumph Trophy, would be great. But I'm not in need of 750 pounds of electronics and plastic at this point, and I really strive for 'horses for courses' when it comes to bikes.

OK, I'd like a Velocette Thruxton. There.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
I want to own one Ducati before I croak. Its a shame they don't make the GT series anymore, but a MultiStrada would be a nice consolation prize.
This! If I had that $20k handed to me and was told to buy a bike, then a Multistrada would be the one for me. I test rode one and it was like riding a trail bike on steroids - fully upright and comfortable.
 
The Ferret and I share an opinion on this one. If I had the money, I would love to have a red 79 CBX, also wouldn't mind a mint 73 or 74 Kawasaki Z-1, a similar vintage H-2 would be a blast from the past for sure.

As for new bikes, I chose the CB1100 over the CB1000R and the Yamaha FZ-09. If I were to chose another bike it would either be the CB1000R or the new Ninja 1000 with luggage. My second bike would be a sport tourer, then I would cafe my CB1100.
 
Thread starter
One bike I would absolutely have if it was offered in the US is the Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport. I'm still addicted to the sound of those Triumph triples.
 
Kawasaki W800. If only it was imported into the US. Alas, I would trade 3 (hideous wannabe Harley Sportsters IMO) Triumph Bonneville Americas for one of these legally registered here.
Australians may have funny accents, lousy beer, and drive on the wrong side of the road, but I envy them for having access to this bike.

ab022bd5ac573ce173c43d5e4d20ddf3.jpg



And here's what a "Triumph" looks like when it wants to look like a Harley triumph.

This bit of cartoonish grotesquery was Triumph's best-selling overall model at exactly the same time Kawasaki decided to discontinue sales of the W650 in the US, due to sluggish sales.
"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just." -T. Jefferson
 
I read that same review that Ferret referenced on the 1190. KTM's bikes have always had too much of a slab-sided, 'some kid carved my fairing with a pocket knife and a soap bar'-look for me. I'm sure KTM's new Super Duke is a wonderful backroad scalpel, but the thing to me looks like Star Wars' General Grievous (read: not a good thing).

But yeah, the looks of that new Adventure aren't as off-putting as their previous bikes, and I could actually see myself owning one. The electronics package is very, very impressive.
 
Thread starter
thumper_imp said:
I read that same review that Ferret referenced on the 1190. KTM's bikes have always had too much of a slab-sided, 'some kid carved my fairing with a pocket knife and a soap bar'-look for me. I'm sure KTM's new Super Duke is a wonderful backroad scalpel, but the thing to me looks like Star Wars' General Grievous (read: not a good thing).

But yeah, the looks of that new Adventure aren't as off-putting as their previous bikes, and I could actually see myself owning one. The electronics package is very, very impressive.
Carved from a soap bar is very descriptive of KTM's and spot on I think LOL. The new 1190 looked pretty good in the pics I'd seen but it looks even better when you see one in the showroom. The typical KTM orange has a metallic look on this new model and the fit and finish is really fine as it should be on a bike this expensive. But it's still too tall for me.
 
SanPete_imp said:
Indian target market are Harley owners. You can stand them side by side and not know the difference. Their motto could be "our bike looks like yours but are better and cheaper". I am not against Indian, just their approach.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Hey, that's me - a Harley owner "target". I had a '99 Victory too. Quick tip; you can easily tell the Indian from Harleys or other cruisers by it's fenders. But you knew that... :P

Oh, another bike I think I'd like to own is the old Norton Commando 850. Always liked the way they looked and rode.
 
calamarichris_imp said:
Kawasaki W800. If only it was imported into the US. Alas, I would trade 3 (hideous wannabe Harley Sportsters IMO) Triumph Bonneville Americas for one of these legally registered here.
Australians may have funny accents, lousy beer, and drive on the wrong side of the road, but I envy them for having access to this bike.

ab022bd5ac573ce173c43d5e4d20ddf3.jpg



And here's what a "Triumph" looks like when it wants to look like a Harley triumph.

This bit of cartoonish grotesquery was Triumph's best-selling overall model at exactly the same time Kawasaki decided to discontinue sales of the W650 in the US, due to sluggish sales.
"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just." -T. Jefferson
This is one of my favorite "Unobtainiums" too. Last year they had a Special Edition with gold wheels and some other goodies that was just gorgeous.
SanPete_imp said:
Indian target market are Harley owners. You can stand them side by side and not know the difference. Their motto could be "our bike looks like yours but are better and cheaper". I am not against Indian, just their approach.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
This was certainly true back in the "CMC" iteration of Indian from 06-11. At the time they were using S&S Evo engines that were direct clones of HDs. The IMC versions were somewhat better with the unique "Bottlecap" engines, but they still very much an HD clone, IMO.

Today I think Polaris deserves major kudos for engineering a new Indian bike from the ground up. The Power Plus 103 engine is a tribute to the classic Indian engines in a way very similar to our CBs vs. the original CBs. I've read the engine kicks ass power-wise. And although I don't like the valanced fender, mega cruiser bike style myself, I don't think anyone is going to mistake a Chieftain for an Ultra Classic.
I've changed my mind on the Multi. Now I want one of these:

http://www.ducatiusa.com/bikes/monster_1200/index.do
 
I wouldn't mind having something like an early 1930s Henderson or Indian to look at and occasionally ride around town. I love the sound those things make.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The real answer for me would be more bikes. A sport tourer, a supersport, and supermoto to go along with my cb1100.

After seeing this video, I'm tickled with the thought of owning a little inline-4 250 though.
 
Back
Top