a better sissy bar

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
The company Fehling in Germany offers this sissy bar for an older Honda model, at about 160 €. And they do small series manufacturing or adaptations if one orders a minimum of 25 units. Would there be enough interest on our forum to order the same style sissy bar for the CB1100 (I am assuming here that mounting is identical on SC65 and SC78) ?

Yes, I know, there is shipping, customs, G knows what other troubles lie ahead. But we could at least try and do a count ... for your pillion and mine ... I think the result might still be better than home brew.

 
j3gq_imp said:
The company Fehling in Germany offers this sissy bar for an older Honda model, at about 160 €. And they do small series manufacturing or adaptations if one orders a minimum of 25 units. Would there be enough interest on our forum to order the same style sissy bar for the CB1100 (I am assuming here that mounting is identical on SC65 and SC78) ?

Yes, I know, there is shipping, customs, G knows what other troubles lie ahead. But we could at least try and do a count ... for your pillion and mine ... I think the result might still be better than home brew.
" ... supply chain constraints ... " :dodgy:
 
I'm not surprised there are no takers. How many people regularly ride two up on the CB and to my mind they just don't suit this bike very well.
 
Thread starter
michael1954_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
So nobody interested ? not one ?
You can count me in, that makes 2, counting you! Would it fit the DLX?
You can count me in, that makes 2, counting you! Would it fit the DLX?
If I find enough interest, I have two solutions in mind, either check interface drawings to see which models fit, or let Fehling do it (this is their expertise), or see whether minor modifications would do it. As far as I can see the main frame of the CB has not gone through any changes since 2013.
Mixagon_imp said:
I prefer a top box with a back pad, looks better and is good storage space.
And if 'our' custom rack was designed to have a sissy bar OR a top box connected, and go from one to the other within 2 minutes ? :clap:
 
Apropos different fits, I think I recall there was a difference between the 2013-14 standard and the 2014 DLX/EX rack fittings.
 
For a qty of two you are better off buying the standard Fehling rack, for the correct model, and cutting the upright bar on the rear hoop and self extending it.
 
Tev62_imp said:
I'm not surprised there are no takers. How many people regularly ride two up on the CB and to my mind they just don't suit this bike very well.
My granddaughter regularly rides two up with me on the EX and the RS. She prefers the RS. Funny, youth finds the RS look more appealing, yet it is probably the only other large bike with any retro qualities, albeit not as retro as the CB1100.
 
Tev62 Wrote:
"I'm not surprised there are no takers. How many people regularly ride two up on the CB and to my mind they just don't suit this bike very well."

Hey I resemble that remark!
I never ride any of my bikes on my own..Director of Finance is ALWAYS on the pillion.
She tells me that the Honda RS is more comfortable than the Kawa RS..but the Crossrunner is ultimatley the best.
Keeping on track with this thread though I couldn't bear the thought of a topcase on the Kawa so I custom made her a backrest from a Shad part that was sold as a universal back rest for a big scooter..turned out a big success with her too, so happy days!
323820efbc399d614301c54436182a16.jpg


JT
 
Jonnyteabag_imp said:
Tev62 Wrote:
"I'm not surprised there are no takers. How many people regularly ride two up on the CB and to my mind they just don't suit this bike very well."

Hey I resemble that remark!
I never ride any of my bikes on my own..Director of Finance is ALWAYS on the pillion.
She tells me that the Honda RS is more comfortable than the Kawa RS..but the Crossrunner is ultimatley the best.
Keeping on track with this thread though I couldn't bear the thought of a topcase on the Kawa so I custom made her a backrest from a Shad part that was sold as a universal back rest for a big scooter..turned out a big success with her too, so happy days!
323820efbc399d614301c54436182a16.jpg


JT
Well done JTB, and nice snap of the Kawi.
 
Jonnyteabag_imp said:
Tev62 Wrote:
"I'm not surprised there are no takers. How many people regularly ride two up on the CB and to my mind they just don't suit this bike very well."

Hey I resemble that remark!
I never ride any of my bikes on my own..Director of Finance is ALWAYS on the pillion.
She tells me that the Honda RS is more comfortable than the Kawa RS..but the Crossrunner is ultimatley the best.
Keeping on track with this thread though I couldn't bear the thought of a topcase on the Kawa so I custom made her a backrest from a Shad part that was sold as a universal back rest for a big scooter..turned out a big success with her too, so happy days!
323820efbc399d614301c54436182a16.jpg


JT
Disguised it well with a bag behind it so you get a pass! :thumbsup::D
 
Thread starter
Could any expert in m/c or suspension) tell me, what the heck is the purpose of an inverted fork (or inverted shocks) ? All I see (in above pic) is that it makes installing the front fender more complicated and less clean (apology Jonny !).
 
I'm no suspension expert but one of the goals of a motorcycle designer is to reduce unsprung weight. This is weight not under the control of suspension. Swapping the two main stanchion components around has the lighter tube as unsprung weight and allows it to be more dynamic, it is easier to move a lighter weight quickly for more responsive suspension.

Along with this, lighter brake calipers, wheels, discs etc all go towards the same goal. A lighter wheel also has inertial and gyroscopic benefits too. Our suspension is a nod to classic design and aesthetics, in pure engineering terms it is the wrong choice for a modern bike. If money was no object we would all have magnesium wheels but we don't want to pay an extra $3,000 for our CB1100's!
 
Tev62_imp said:
I'm no suspension expert but one of the goals of a motorcycle designer is to reduce unsprung weight. This is weight not under the control of suspension. Swapping the two main stanchion components around has the lighter tube as unsprung weight and allows it to be more dynamic, it is easier to move a lighter weight quickly for more responsive suspension.

Along with this, lighter brake calipers, wheels, discs etc all go towards the same goal. A lighter wheel also has inertial and gyroscopic benefits too. Our suspension is a nod to classic design and aesthetics, in pure engineering terms it is the wrong choice for a modern bike. If money was no object we would all have magnesium wheels but we don't want to pay an extra $3,000 for our CB1100's!
Thanks Tev62, that's a good explanation. I had never connected the inverted forks with unsprung weight.
 
Back
Top