8K Service cost?

Do it yourself and spend the rest on essentials (in the interests of FD*, I will not elaborate).

Cheers

* if you haven't been paying attention - Forum Decorum :)
 
MNM,

It depends. Probably not very much just to check the valve clearance, but if any need adjusting the cams have to come out and the labor costs will go up. I do not know how long the book says it takes, or how long it actually does.
 
So far, though, I don't think anyone's reported the need for value clearance adjustment. Mine have been checked 3 times now and continue to be in spec.
 
RandyB said he had a bunch of valves adjusted.. all on same bank. Very unusual. Last I heard he was still looking for his receipt to see how many and on which bank and if they exchanged shims or charged him etc etc

But he is the only one I can recall having a valve adjusted
 
Cormanus_imp said:
So far, though, I don't think anyone's reported the need for value clearance adjustment. Mine have been checked 3 times now and continue to be in spec.
Slight correction there mate. Mine were adjusted and shimmed by a dealer (Sydney's largest) at the first major. It, the whole service that is, was a costly exercise, in excess of $1000. The cost, plus some irregularities in the way the bike was returned to me made me decide to go to DIY. The two valve clearance checks I have since done have shown the valves to be in spec.

Cheers
 
Oh, well. There you go. Sorry chaps. I was wrong.
 
Ptero... $1000 wow! Do you have the receipt? How many valves? Which bank? Did they charge you for shims or swap? Did they provide you with the measurements on each valve?
 
Is that Australian dollars or US?
 
Yes I have a detailed receipt for the entire service. Shims were not costly, although I have since found a supply at the right price. The entire service was around AUD 900 plus a couple of hundred to shim the valves, in excess of just checking them that is.

If the costs had been more reasonable the dealer would have had the pleasure of slowly bleeding me in the intervening 43000kms.
But he was too greedy first time. Now you know why I do it myself. Once bitten, twice shy.

Cheers
 
Interesting how different dealers behave. The one I've been using for services seems very reasonable to me—certainly not expensive enough to force me to dramatically improve my wrenching abilities.
 
According to the currency converter on samurider, $900 AU is right at $700 USD. I'm not looking forward to that bill.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Yes I have a detailed receipt for the entire service. Shims were not costly, although I have since found a supply at the right price. The entire service was around AUD 900 plus a couple of hundred to shim the valves, in excess of just checking them that is.

If the costs had been more reasonable the dealer would have had the pleasure of slowly bleeding me in the intervening 43000kms.
But he was too greedy first time. Now you know why I do it myself. Once bitten, twice shy.

Cheers
So how many valves were adjusted? Intake or exhaust? Were they out of spec or did dealer just bring them to middle of spec? I know a lot of questions, but that's how we are going to learn the tendencies for these motors.
 
At my 12,000 km (8K mi) service, all valves were in spec. I let the dealer note down the measured values for me:

Outlet valve clearance, 0.28 mm +-0.03mm:

27 28 | 30 30 | 30 30 | 29 28

Inlet valve clearance , 0.15mm +-0.03mm:

15 17 | 14 16 | 15 15 | 16 15


Wearout of valve seating decreases clearance over time. So it's better to have more clearance than less.
 
The only time that I've ever needed to actually change shims was on a 1978 650 Kaw and even then, there were only a couple out of range. Checking them takes very little time but I'd reckon one adjustment in the lifetime of the bike is probably all you'll need. If that.
 
I'm still deciding when to ask the dealer to check mine, I'm at 13K miles, almost ready to bring it in for the rear tire to be replaced.....maybe ask then? Or wait until I have my 2nd front done around 16/17K miles...last time I asked the service manager, he quietly said not to worry about, they hardly ever need adjusting.....
 
Hiker my service mgr says the same thing. I almost had to demand they check them on my ST at 54,000 miles ( they had never been checked). They were all in spec.
 
Checking is no big deal. If everything is in spec, alright.

Effort increases a lot (and gets expensive), when a valve is out of spec and the valve drive has to be disassembled to adjust this.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hiker my service mgr says the same thing. I almost had to demand they check them on my ST at 54,000 miles ( they had never been checked). They were all in spec.
Ferret, I haven't forgotten your questions in your previous post. I am looking through paperwork for some answers.

Cheers
 
Back
Top