750 Nighthawk owners chime in on tires

OldF7Guy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Ok, I have a 2003 750 Nighthawk. I was planning on selling. Not so sure now. The back tire is nearly wore out. I had to replace the front this summer due to age. This bike has bias ply tires on it. I knew better to mix match them.

NOw, Im temped to keep the bike. The difference in handling between the 750 and my newer 1100 is dramatic or so it feels. I think it is because of radial tires on the 1100.

Can I put radial tires on this 750? If so, what is a good solid bet? I am sorely temped to keep this motorcycles and put a good set of radials on it and ride it. This means I would have to replace the front yet again and I only have 6k on it but I am ok with that. Other than being cold blooded as all get out I find little to complain about with the NH. Its not worth much on paper but I sure have had a ball with it.

Any NH guys out there that have gone to radials and what did you think about them??


PS. I am worst that a women wanting a new pair of shoes and I know it. I just like this 750/
 
The Nighthawk uses a weird sized tire ( like the CB 1100's), so not a lot is available for them. The only replacement I found for them were the Factory Dunlop 205? 'S. At least they were cheap.

There was a guy over on the 750Nighthawk forum that was running some kind of dual sport tires on his, but it's been a few years and I don't remember the brand.
 
F7,

I would run the pilot road 3's, they have your stock front 110/80/-18 and the rear stock is 140/70-17 you can run the 150/70/17
You have the last year the nighthawk was made, i would hold on to the bike, its worth a lot more to you then its current worth on the open market.
 
Ferret they are K505's stock.
 
Thanks Randy.. Memory is failing, and with multiple bikes hard to remember everything. Heck I keep a chart on the wall on each bike to remind me of tire pressures, oil amts, last time any service was done lol
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
F7,

I would run the pilot road 3's, they have your stock front 110/80/-18 and the rear stock is 140/70-17 you can run the 150/70/17
You have the last year the nighthawk was made, i would hold on to the bike, its worth a lot more to you then its current worth on the open market.
CIP, your right. I have searched and search and this is about the only option I can find. Ferret, your right also, its a odd ball sized and kinda a weird combo to try to match up. I dont think going up just one sized in width would make much difference. I know its been debated over and over but I am not a sport bike rider and not going to ever do anything real crazy.

FWIW, the front tires on the NH and 1100 are exactly the same size. CIP, I found your thread here on the road pilot 3s and read the whole thing. Sounds like you are impressed with them. I have dunlops on my 1100 and they feel sticky but my point of reference is the NH with bias plys that feel real hard. Plus, the back tire is a Kenda which is probably just a cut above a Shinko or something. Road pilot 3 is the way Im going on this deal. They are not that much more than the standard michelin active bias plys.
 
Pterodactyl has PR3s on his CB and swears by them.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Pterodactyl has PR3s on his CB and swears by them.
Thanks for the heads up on that Cormanus. I have checked everywhere for reviews on the road pilots 3 tire and cant find much of anybody to complain on various different makes and models of motorcycles. Sure seems like a safe bet to me.

FWIW, NIghthawks were built to a price point and that included the cheaper bias ply tires. Im not buying that the chassis cant handle it or was not engineered for it. I remember back in the day when we finally put radials on old cars from the 60s and 70s and it made a big difference.

I think this is what I am feeling between the two bikes and I am willing to spend the money to verify it. Checked tonight and I only have 1/32 left on my rear tire. I forgot the limit. I know Im close. Wear bar indicators are really close. I can squeeze another 1000-1500 out of the rear but that is is. IM going to try and still be safe. I want to pull this off next spring if possile. I gotta a lot of bills this time of year.

Guys, thanks for your advice on this stuff. It has saved me a ton of time and I appreciate it more than you can know.




My ride today confirmed it.
 
Thread starter
Guys, I hate to keep rambling on but its official. Im keeping the Nighthawk. I pulled down the adds. I got the last year model and its in good shape and I like it and its dirt cheap to maintain and insure and pay taxes on. So easy to work on also. Other than crappy tires, brakes that are average, and the frustration with carbs it is as slick as my CB1100 and just suits my riding style to a tee.

It just wont bring much on the open market. And its worth more to me to own and keep. I know what I have. I put 7K on it this year and know what I have. I have had 3 dealers offer me 1300-1400 for it which I just laughed off. They are hoping you are desperate before winter really sets in. Not biting.

Going to buy a new set of tires next spring hoping that it will ride a little more like the 1100 but we will see. I swore I would never do anything like this but here I am. IM starting to have a motorcycle addition and that is dangerous.
 
Good decision OF7G. You love that bike, and it would break your heart to say goodbye to it. Now you just have to sell the 2013 CB1100 and find a 2014 DLX.
 
There are times I wish I had never sold mine. Besides being all that you described it was also my winter bike, the one I rode when the roads were questionable due to salt. The one I least worried about. Now, with my 14 dlx, I worry about the salted roads, and since I don't want anything to happen to it, the ST has become my winter bike. Even at his highest value used which I sold it for, it was only worth less than 1/2 of what the ST is worth. Poor judgement on my part.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Guys, I hate to keep rambling on but its official. Im keeping the Nighthawk. I pulled down the adds. I got the last year model and its in good shape and I like it and its dirt cheap to maintain and insure and pay taxes on. So easy to work on also. Other than crappy tires, brakes that are average, and the frustration with carbs it is as slick as my CB1100 and just suits my riding style to a tee.

It just wont bring much on the open market. And its worth more to me to own and keep. I know what I have. I put 7K on it this year and know what I have. I have had 3 dealers offer me 1300-1400 for it which I just laughed off. They are hoping you are desperate before winter really sets in. Not biting.

Going to buy a new set of tires next spring hoping that it will ride a little more like the 1100 but we will see. I swore I would never do anything like this but here I am. IM starting to have a motorcycle addition and that is dangerous.
LOL! Once the addiction sets in there's no stopping it... I currently have "six", yes, 6 bikes in the garage:

2014 CB1100 Deluxe
2009 ST1300
2004 DL650 V-Strom
2000 VFR800Fi
1979 BMW R100S
1973 BMW R60/5 Toaster Tank

TINK
 
The ferret_imp said:
There are times I wish I had never sold mine. Besides being all that you described it was also my winter bike, the one I rode when the roads were questionable due to salt. The one I least worried about. Now, with my 14 dlx, I worry about the salted roads, and since I don't want anything to happen to it, the ST has become my winter bike. Even at his highest value used which I sold it for, it was only worth less than 1/2 of what the ST is worth. Poor judgement on my part.
I dunno. Maybe, when you revisit the reasons you sold it, it may just become simply a judgement. Could always buy another of course.

Cheers.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Good decision OF7G. You love that bike, and it would break your heart to say goodbye to it. Now you just have to sell the 2013 CB1100 and find a 2014 DLX.
Thanks Cormanus, just going to play it by ear. Love both of them.
 
I'm also looking to replace the tires on my NH750 and am considering both the OEM Dunlop K505's or the Bridgestone BT 45's. The Avon AM26 also has available sizing.

Any opinions on personal experience with any of the above tires is appreciated. Also, the online sites motorcycle superstore and bike bandit have the best pricing I could find. Any other website recommendations to buy tires?

Thanks
 
I had no issues with the Dunlops, think I went thru 3 or 4 sets in the time I had my Nighthawk 750. They aren't special rubber, and won't last forever, but they stick well enough and they are cheap. Judging from the mileage you said you ride in your introduction, you'd probably worry more about dry cracking, and age hardening of the rubber than wear though.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
F7,

I would run the pilot road 3's, they have your stock front 110/80/-18 and the rear stock is 140/70-17 you can run the 150/70/17
You have the last year the nighthawk was made, i would hold on to the bike, its worth a lot more to you then its current worth on the open market.
CIP, your right. I have searched and search and this is about the only option I can find. Ferret, your right also, its a odd ball sized and kinda a weird combo to try to match up. I dont think going up just one sized in width would make much difference. I know its been debated over and over but I am not a sport bike rider and not going to ever do anything real crazy.

FWIW, the front tires on the NH and 1100 are exactly the same size. CIP, I found your thread here on the road pilot 3s and read the whole thing. Sounds like you are impressed with them. I have dunlops on my 1100 and they feel sticky but my point of reference is the NH with bias plys that feel real hard. Plus, the back tire is a Kenda which is probably just a cut above a Shinko or something. Road pilot 3 is the way Im going on this deal. They are not that much more than the standard michelin active bias plys.
CIP, your right. I have searched and search and this is about the only option I can find. Ferret, your right also, its a odd ball sized and kinda a weird combo to try to match up. I dont think going up just one sized in width would make much difference. I know its been debated over and over but I am not a sport bike rider and not going to ever do anything real crazy.

FWIW, the front tires on the NH and 1100 are exactly the same size. CIP, I found your thread here on the road pilot 3s and read the whole thing. Sounds like you are impressed with them. I have dunlops on my 1100 and they feel sticky but my point of reference is the NH with bias plys that feel real hard. Plus, the back tire is a Kenda which is probably just a cut above a Shinko or something. Road pilot 3 is the way Im going on this deal. They are not that much more than the standard michelin active bias plys.
I've got close to 5K on my CB1100 PR3's, I'm LOVING them. To be honest I don't have to much reference to, but I'll buy them again. I haven't had a single issue with them, they stick great, are more confidence inspiring then the stock Dunlops. Tar snakes haven't surprised me like the old tires. The Dunlops front cupped quite a bit, these haven't at all. Wear is very good. I've done about around 500 miles in the rain and wet in the last week and I haven't had any slides, surprises or concerns. PR's aren't cheap but have been absolutely worth it.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
F7,

I would run the pilot road 3's, they have your stock front 110/80/-18 and the rear stock is 140/70-17 you can run the 150/70/17
You have the last year the nighthawk was made, i would hold on to the bike, its worth a lot more to you then its current worth on the open market.
CIP, your right. I have searched and search and this is about the only option I can find. Ferret, your right also, its a odd ball sized and kinda a weird combo to try to match up. I dont think going up just one sized in width would make much difference. I know its been debated over and over but I am not a sport bike rider and not going to ever do anything real crazy.

FWIW, the front tires on the NH and 1100 are exactly the same size. CIP, I found your thread here on the road pilot 3s and read the whole thing. Sounds like you are impressed with them. I have dunlops on my 1100 and they feel sticky but my point of reference is the NH with bias plys that feel real hard. Plus, the back tire is a Kenda which is probably just a cut above a Shinko or something. Road pilot 3 is the way Im going on this deal. They are not that much more than the standard michelin active bias plys.
CIP, your right. I have searched and search and this is about the only option I can find. Ferret, your right also, its a odd ball sized and kinda a weird combo to try to match up. I dont think going up just one sized in width would make much difference. I know its been debated over and over but I am not a sport bike rider and not going to ever do anything real crazy.

FWIW, the front tires on the NH and 1100 are exactly the same size. CIP, I found your thread here on the road pilot 3s and read the whole thing. Sounds like you are impressed with them. I have dunlops on my 1100 and they feel sticky but my point of reference is the NH with bias plys that feel real hard. Plus, the back tire is a Kenda which is probably just a cut above a Shinko or something. Road pilot 3 is the way Im going on this deal. They are not that much more than the standard michelin active bias plys.
I've got close to 5K on my CB1100 PR3's, I'm LOVING them. To be honest I don't have to much reference to, but I'll buy them again. I haven't had a single issue with them, they stick great, are more confidence inspiring then the stock Dunlops. Tar snakes haven't surprised me like the old tires. The Dunlops front cupped quite a bit, these haven't at all. Wear is very good. I've done about around 500 miles in the rain and wet in the last week and I haven't had any slides, surprises or concerns. PR's aren't cheap but have been absolutely worth it.
 
Thread starter
emtae_imp said:
I'm also looking to replace the tires on my NH750 and am considering both the OEM Dunlop K505's or the Bridgestone BT 45's. The Avon AM26 also has available sizing.

Any opinions on personal experience with any of the above tires is appreciated. Also, the online sites motorcycle superstore and bike bandit have the best pricing I could find. Any other website recommendations to buy tires?

Thanks
I have had good luck with these people in the past and they seem like they have very good pricing. I will buy from them again likely in the future.

American Moto Tire: Your One Source Powersports Store, Shop
Over at AVD rider somebody posted that the Micheline pilot roads 3 have been discontinued. Does anybody know for sure and should I go ahead and purchase them now while I can still get my hands on a set??
 
Back
Top