Bheezy27403_imp
Road warrior
Thread starter
Finally! Blowing smoke.
Well that's a crappy picture. Oh well.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.


It's in pretty good shape considering it's 47 years old. The crappy pic hides a few scars. I will be swapping out prettier parts in my stash for what's on the bike now if it's needed. An example is the front fender, it will pass but one of the ones I have is way nicer. A little tlc here and there and it will pop. Then I need to decide if I want it repainted and new decals or leave the patina. We'll see.GoldOxide_imp said:Looks fantastic. In way better shape than my previous '76 RD400.
Ha! Yeah I'm about to sock up on some.furious_blue_imp said:sweet !
brings me back to the days when the local shops would advertise a sale on cartons of 10 (12 ?) NGK spark plugs to get traffic into the store....
misterprofessionality_imp said:*sigh*. i've always wanted to own one of these obnoxious noisy smelly beautiful machines but I've just never had the mechanical chops. every time I think about getting one I remember how much skill and time and tools it takes to keep it working well and I back down. I'm glad somebody is keeping them on the road.
PowerDubs_imp said:misterprofessionality_imp said:*sigh*. i've always wanted to own one of these obnoxious noisy smelly beautiful machines but I've just never had the mechanical chops. every time I think about getting one I remember how much skill and time and tools it takes to keep it working well and I back down. I'm glad somebody is keeping them on the road.
2-stroke are much much easier than a 4-stroke, and an air cooled 2-stroke is about as easy as it gets.
No camshafts, no valves, no coolant....easy peasy. And basic hand tools is all you need for whatever.
Worst thing about that bike (maint wise) is just the carbs...but carbs on any bike are a PITA eventually.
Bheezy27403_imp said:PowerDubs_imp said:misterprofessionality_imp said:*sigh*. i've always wanted to own one of these obnoxious noisy smelly beautiful machines but I've just never had the mechanical chops. every time I think about getting one I remember how much skill and time and tools it takes to keep it working well and I back down. I'm glad somebody is keeping them on the road.
2-stroke are much much easier than a 4-stroke, and an air cooled 2-stroke is about as easy as it gets.
No camshafts, no valves, no coolant....easy peasy. And basic hand tools is all you need for whatever.
Worst thing about that bike (maint wise) is just the carbs...but carbs on any bike are a PITA eventually.
2-stroke are much much easier than a 4-stroke, and an air cooled 2-stroke is about as easy as it gets.
No camshafts, no valves, no coolant....easy peasy. And basic hand tools is all you need for whatever.
^^^^This.
misterprofessionality_imp said:Bheezy27403_imp said:PowerDubs_imp said:misterprofessionality_imp said:*sigh*. i've always wanted to own one of these obnoxious noisy smelly beautiful machines but I've just never had the mechanical chops. every time I think about getting one I remember how much skill and time and tools it takes to keep it working well and I back down. I'm glad somebody is keeping them on the road.
2-stroke are much much easier than a 4-stroke, and an air cooled 2-stroke is about as easy as it gets.
No camshafts, no valves, no coolant....easy peasy. And basic hand tools is all you need for whatever.
Worst thing about that bike (maint wise) is just the carbs...but carbs on any bike are a PITA eventually.
2-stroke are much much easier than a 4-stroke, and an air cooled 2-stroke is about as easy as it gets.
No camshafts, no valves, no coolant....easy peasy. And basic hand tools is all you need for whatever.
^^^^This.
2-stroke are much much easier than a 4-stroke, and an air cooled 2-stroke is about as easy as it gets.
No camshafts, no valves, no coolant....easy peasy. And basic hand tools is all you need for whatever.
^^^^This.
You guys forgot one very important tool: knowledge, and I dont got it. I've tried to get it many times and it all just turns up looking like Egyptian to me. You can have a garage full of tools and the knowledge just isn't going to come to me. Can't make heads or tails of a service manual and every time I try something there's always some critical catastrophe even though I do exactly what I'm told. Some people are just cursed in certain areas of expertise, and motors are mine.
No sirs, I think I know my limits well and I'm happy to pay people to do the bits I cant. Im fine with changing oil and chain maintenance.

