6th gear syndrome..

retroman_imp said:
I change gears by ear and find myself looking for the non existent 6th gear. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Not to mention leaving the turn indicators on :)
It is ludicrous that a modern bike would not have self-cancelling signals; both my 1979 XS750F and my 2004 Sportster 1200R do. Even sillier for a detail-oriented company like Honda. The Bonneville SE I test-rode did not have them, either. Just cheapness, I guess?

:huh:
 
HikerToo_imp said:
You want retro or you want new?

BTW, my 2 "86" Ninjas did not have self cancel.
Por que no los dos? This bike is marketed as retro styling with contemporary accents. I don't think self-canceling turn signals in 2013 is that unreasonable.

Edit: It's worth mentioning that for people to be nit picking something like the turn signal (as I am), they've done a pretty good job with the rest of the bike.
 
Something has to be said when my 1980 yes that is a 33 year old bike of the same style as this brand new bike, has self cancelling turn signals but a brand new latest technology in the motor and other areas, ABS for example, doesn't have something so simple...

Regarding the sport bikes from 86 without self cancelling signals, those bikes were meant to turn? Those were ninjas, were they 250cc ones? Maybe they needed to have bigger motors to get that feature? :)
 
Are self-canceling turn signals still in vogue? I've had a few modern motorcycles, and only my GL1800 Goldwing had self-canceling signals...and I thought they were a PITA.
 
If you are really in tune with your ride, you should never need self-cancelling signals! ;) (Honda, just contact me for details where the check can be sent.)

In all seriousness, never had 'em before, so I've no idea what I'm missing out on, or not.
 
thumper_imp said:
Are self-canceling turn signals still in vogue? I've had a few modern motorcycles, and only my GL1800 Goldwing had self-canceling signals...and I thought they were a PITA.
My old Harley had them also and I never really liked them. Great idea on paper imo but I would rather not have them. I like it as simple as possible and would rather be in full control.
 
Guth_imp said:
If you are really in tune with your ride, you should never need self-cancelling signals! ;) (Honda, just contact me for details where the check can be sent.)

In all seriousness, never had 'em before, so I've no idea what I'm missing out on, or not.
Guth,

Self canceling turn signals aren't 100% positive. There is some downside. On the HD, they shut off after about 10 seconds if the bike is rolling, if the bike is stopped they stay on forever (while you are sitting at a light). So if I turn them on too soon approaching a light they may turn off before I stop and I might not notice that I'm no longer signaling a turn. If I signal and turn right away they will continue to flash for the full 10 seconds possibly indicating to a car driver that I'm gonna make a turn when I'm not. To me the lack of self canceling turn signals is not a big deal.


Chip
 
The ferret_imp said:
I still have a brand new 16 t counter sprocket for a 750 nighthawk in the garage. Bought it to do just that but never got around to it before I sold the bike. Wonder what the chances are that it would be the same one?
I believe it takes a 530 chain...and nighthawk is 525.
 
RajunCajun_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I still have a brand new 16 t counter sprocket for a 750 nighthawk in the garage. Bought it to do just that but never got around to it before I sold the bike. Wonder what the chances are that it would be the same one?
I believe it takes a 530 chain...and nighthawk is 525.
I believe it takes a 530 chain...and nighthawk is 525.

Oops you are probably right.
 
I've been looking online for larger front or smaller rear sprockets for the cb11. I haven't found any. Has anyone had any luck for finding compatible sprockets?

I'm not sure how much I want to increase the gearing, not too worried since the bike already pulls well in 5th at 30mph.
 
I do neither of the things mentioned by the OP. I've done what Ferret mentioned, cruising in 4th thinking it was 5th (makes the shift into 2nd a bit surprising). I like having only five gears because I like to be in fifth most of the time for gas mileage purposes, and having to drop-down that extra gear at stop lights/signs would be more of a pain (I have that nuisance with my CBR).

When I first got my CBR, I thought I would need a gear position indicator, so I went and got one. Two months later I found myself not needing it anymore.

All five vehicles in my household are equipped with manual transmissions. We do things old school. Lol. Although one of the automobiles is only a five-speed also. Anyone see that the new C7 Corvette is a 7-speed manual!? With active rev-matching (WTH!?)!
 
Speaking of manual VS auto. Any of you guys ever ride a bike with auto shift? I had DN-01 for a time. That was pretty darned nice I'll tell you. Shift it manually or let it do it's own thing.

I know I know the vast majority of you will stick your noses on the suggestion of an auto on a bike. Just don't pass up an opportunity to ride one if you get the chance.

I liked the DN-01 save for a couple things. Not enough engine and the darn thing sounded like a lawn mower. And WAY too expensive to sell well.

I've been a manual only with cars for years but with todays technology it makes almost no sense at all. Drive a VW with their DSG transmission. It will go up and down in gears quicker then a blink of the eye and it's FUN FUN FUN. Boy's it isn't 1960. (Sadly)

An auto in a bike that was set up right would be very interesting to me. But only if it was done right and very easy to override manually.

It will come I have no doubt.
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
Speaking of manual VS auto. Any of you guys ever ride a bike with auto shift? I had DN-01 for a time. That was pretty darned nice I'll tell you. Shift it manually or let it do it's own thing.

I know I know the vast majority of you will stick your noses on the suggestion of an auto on a bike. Just don't pass up an opportunity to ride one if you get the chance.

I liked the DN-01 save for a couple things. Not enough engine and the darn thing sounded like a lawn mower. And WAY too expensive to sell well.

I've been a manual only with cars for years but with todays technology it makes almost no sense at all. Drive a VW with their DSG transmission. It will go up and down in gears quicker then a blink of the eye and it's FUN FUN FUN. Boy's it isn't 1960. (Sadly)

An auto in a bike that was set up right would be very interesting to me. But only if it was done right and very easy to override manually.

It will come I have no doubt.
I have ridden the NC700 I believe it is, the current offering of the automatic from Honda. I will say it was alright in automatic mode and that could be because the bike wasn't broke in yet, but it seemed to shift hard upshifting... But downshifting was alright.

The paddle shifting was smooth though and was quite a hoot to ride! You can either paddle shift down or let it downshift on its own as I was doing it with the paddle but then let one go a little to long and it shifted on its own. So really in manual, if you can call it that, mode the only thing you really need to do is upshift with the paddle shift. It did have plenty of gears though to go through, I believe it was like 7 of them! It was a slick bike to ride, a little uncomfortable for me on my 25 mile test ride as I kept finding myself being pressed into the back of the seat as it was. Definitely was nice on take off from a stop! Just give it gas and your on your way! I did find myself looking though for the clutch and shift with the foot for the first oh 5 miles...
bubblerboy64_imp said:
Speaking of manual VS auto. Any of you guys ever ride a bike with auto shift? I had DN-01 for a time. That was pretty darned nice I'll tell you. Shift it manually or let it do it's own thing.

I know I know the vast majority of you will stick your noses on the suggestion of an auto on a bike. Just don't pass up an opportunity to ride one if you get the chance.

I liked the DN-01 save for a couple things. Not enough engine and the darn thing sounded like a lawn mower. And WAY too expensive to sell well.

I've been a manual only with cars for years but with todays technology it makes almost no sense at all. Drive a VW with their DSG transmission. It will go up and down in gears quicker then a blink of the eye and it's FUN FUN FUN. Boy's it isn't 1960. (Sadly)

An auto in a bike that was set up right would be very interesting to me. But only if it was done right and very easy to override manually.

It will come I have no doubt.
I have ridden the NC700 I believe it is, the current offering of the automatic from Honda. I will say it was alright in automatic mode and that could be because the bike wasn't broke in yet, but it seemed to shift hard upshifting... But downshifting was alright.

The paddle shifting was smooth though and was quite a hoot to ride! You can either paddle shift down or let it downshift on its own as I was doing it with the paddle but then let one go a little to long and it shifted on its own. So really in manual, if you can call it that, mode the only thing you really need to do is upshift with the paddle shift. It did have plenty of gears though to go through, I believe it was like 7 of them! It was a slick bike to ride, a little uncomfortable for me on my 25 mile test ride as I kept finding myself being pressed into the back of the seat as it was. Definitely was nice on take off from a stop! Just give it gas and your on your way! I did find myself looking though for the clutch and shift with the foot for the first oh 5 miles...
bubblerboy64_imp said:
Speaking of manual VS auto. Any of you guys ever ride a bike with auto shift? I had DN-01 for a time. That was pretty darned nice I'll tell you. Shift it manually or let it do it's own thing.

I know I know the vast majority of you will stick your noses on the suggestion of an auto on a bike. Just don't pass up an opportunity to ride one if you get the chance.

I liked the DN-01 save for a couple things. Not enough engine and the darn thing sounded like a lawn mower. And WAY too expensive to sell well.

I've been a manual only with cars for years but with todays technology it makes almost no sense at all. Drive a VW with their DSG transmission. It will go up and down in gears quicker then a blink of the eye and it's FUN FUN FUN. Boy's it isn't 1960. (Sadly)

An auto in a bike that was set up right would be very interesting to me. But only if it was done right and very easy to override manually.

It will come I have no doubt.
I have ridden the NC700 I believe it is, the current offering of the automatic from Honda. I will say it was alright in automatic mode and that could be because the bike wasn't broke in yet, but it seemed to shift hard upshifting... But downshifting was alright.

The paddle shifting was smooth though and was quite a hoot to ride! You can either paddle shift down or let it downshift on its own as I was doing it with the paddle but then let one go a little to long and it shifted on its own. So really in manual, if you can call it that, mode the only thing you really need to do is upshift with the paddle shift. It did have plenty of gears though to go through, I believe it was like 7 of them! It was a slick bike to ride, a little uncomfortable for me on my 25 mile test ride as I kept finding myself being pressed into the back of the seat as it was. Definitely was nice on take off from a stop! Just give it gas and your on your way! I did find myself looking though for the clutch and shift with the foot for the first oh 5 miles...
 
If I'm going 45 mph at 2500 rpm, or 60 at 3400, or 70 at 4000,.... Then I know I'm in 5th. Otherwise I just shift when it feels like the right time.
 
I was always reaching for another gear on my FZ and it already had 6. I tnk its just a natural reaction for us to verify we are in the top gear!

As far as automatics, I also have a Majesty 400 scooter. Rode it over to watch my grand daughter play volley ball this afternoon. Its a hoot. Id have no problem riding an automatic motorcycle.
 
The one that bothers me the most is leaving the turn signal on, but I would not want the cancelling feature. I would like to see a gear indicator on the LCD display if I had the choice. Nonetheless, I do notice a double click from 4th to 5th just like the one from 1st to 2nd. This is the CB11 way to let us know we have arrived at the last gear.
 
Back
Top