6th gear syndrome..

retroman_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I change gears by ear and find myself looking for the non existent 6th gear. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Not to mention leaving the turn indicators on :)
 
I do that all the time, but the gear ratios seem to be better than on the 2003 Nighthawk 750 I had just before the CB11.
 
I do it occasionally. I think it's because I can't HEAR it. Damned huge muffler makes it quieter than a house mouse. Hoping (again) to get out in the shop this weekend to install Fuzzy's mod. If the wife doesn't come up with something more "important." =)
 
I have not ridden for a few years before the CB1100, so am not used to a 6th gear any more, so doing OK with that. I do watch the RPM vs MPH so know when I'm in top gear too.
Now the turn signal push to off button I love compared to my old 900 Ninja. I don't even need to look which one is on or which way to slide the button....just press it IN and it cancels the turn signal , very cool!
 
I am missing the turn signal cancelling feature that my 1980 Yamaha XS850 had! Wouldn't let me get more than a block past the turn and they would cancel. I rode the other day for about 8 blocks with the silly blinker on before I realized and remembered to turn it off.....

Regarding 6th gear... I have found myself reaching only once or twice now for that 6th gear. Whereas with the XS850 I was reaching for it all the time. This bike is geared better in my opinion. I will get used to not having one.
 
I've searched for an "extra gear" a couple of times. Mainly because the engine pulls so readily in fifth that it seems to me like I must be in fourth, and the bike being as quiet and smooth as it is just adds to the illusion. By comparison, when my Hawk is in 5th gear, I definitely know it. It goes down the road just fine, but there isn't nearly as much grunt on tap so I'm often forced to downshift.
 
I often " discover " that I have a 5 th gear after riding for a couple of miles in what I THOUGHT was 5 th. I really don't need a 6 th
 
Do any of you drive manual transmission cars? I've only ever owned stickshift so I think that might be the cause of me wanting another gear to run at lower rpm.
 
All Ive ever driven is sticks. Before I retired I was in over the road sales. Drove over 1 1/2 million miles, all on sticks. I wore out 5 Hondas , 1 Toyota, and 1 Chev. Loved the Hondas, running each over 200k and one of them almost 300k
 
I do find that I search for 6th gear somewhat often at a point where it just feels and sounds like there should be just one more. Only to realize it's not there so I relax or give it more throttle then find out there is so much more juice there it has to give.
 
Thread starter
I also like to cruise in lower rpms and will eventually get used to the indicators and foot-peg placement. It is mostly due to my RKC familiarity and riding habits. Looking forward to really experiencing the bike (4K+ rpms) after break-in period.. Ride on!
 
retroman_imp said:
I also like to cruise in lower rpms and will eventually get used to the indicators and foot-peg placement. It is mostly due to my RKC familiarity and riding habits. Looking forward to really experiencing the bike (4K+ rpms) after break-in period.. Ride on!
I can also relate to the RKC low RPM cruising style I enjoy so much...
 
Has anyone looked into changing the front sprocket out to "adding one more tooth"? I changed mine on my nighthawk from a 15 to a 16tooth and dropped 450 rpms. Tremendously helped out cruising in 5th gear. Comments? RajunCajun
 
I still have a brand new 16 t counter sprocket for a 750 nighthawk in the garage. Bought it to do just that but never got around to it before I sold the bike. Wonder what the chances are that it would be the same one?
 
dBuster_imp said:
I am missing the turn signal cancelling feature that my 1980 Yamaha XS850 had! Wouldn't let me get more than a block past the turn and they would cancel. I rode the other day for about 8 blocks with the silly blinker on before I realized and remembered to turn it off.....

Regarding 6th gear... I have found myself reaching only once or twice now for that 6th gear. Whereas with the XS850 I was reaching for it all the time. This bike is geared better in my opinion. I will get used to not having one.
I'm with ya brother! I do this on all the old Vintage bikes, but never considered that this one wouldn't have self-cancelling....Oh well
 
I ride secondary roads 90% of the time and live in 3rd & 4th. But is seems that every time I hit the interstate I look for a 6th gear. But I did the same thing on my BMW K75 as well.

I am with you 100% on that turn signal thing!:)
I can ride for a block with that think flashing away. Even my old '78 XS11 had self concealers, IIRC, and I know my K75 and the Road Star had it,
 
Back
Top