60 MPH Whine

TwoBrothersBusa_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So I just picked up my 2014 CB1100 and on the way home (2hr ride) I discovered a very definite whine at 60 mph. Doesn't matter what gear the whine is only at 60. It sounds like it is in the front sprocket area. Is the front sprocket bolt a standard counter clockwise to loosen bolt? A sprocket change is my first try since the bike only has 3K on the clock.

The new bike...

 
First off welcome to the forum.

Check and make sure chain is lubed. SOmetimes a dry chain will make a whining sound at speed.
 
Thread starter
Lubed up the chain and took the bike back out. Apparently chains do require lube. The noise was gone.

The previous owner apparently didn't keep it lubed. I should have carried some with me and sprayed it before the trip.
 
These chains don't require a lot of lube, just a shot every now and then when they get dry or after a rain. IT's mostly to lube the contact between points between the chain link plates and the sprockets, and to keep rust at bay.
 
But they do require a significant amount of engine oil, that is if you want to keep yourself and garage lubed as well, like Ferret. 😬 good call!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
Retsel' pid='176043' dateline='1498519425 said:
But they do require a significant amount of engine oil, that is if you want to keep yourself and garage lubed as well, like Ferret.


:rofl: I can' tell this isn't going away for awhile :blush:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Retsel' pid='176043' dateline='1498519425 said:
But they do require a significant amount of engine oil, that is if you want to keep yourself and garage lubed as well, like Ferret.


:rofl: I can' tell this isn't going away for awhile :blush:
Maybe you should video your next oil change? We're talking at least a million hits on YouTube!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
When I bought my CB500F the chain was dry. VFR I looked at once had a dry chain that was tight as a driveshaft. I spray mine every 500 miles or so. Don't like the wax as it attracts anything and everything but WD40 on a rag cleans it well. Whining gone as you said.
 
Back
Top