6 speed cb > 5speed cb??

jeffskar_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I noticed that the 2013's have a 5 speed gearbox, and 2014's and newer have six speeds. I do not own a cb1100 yet, but can get a very good deal on a brand new 2013 cb1100 that has yet to be sold, is it that important? I will say I can get this bike for less than 7500.00, and it looks just like any other cb1100 I've seen so far.

I've heard people describe the cb's power as very smooth with great torque, so that tells me that if the ratios are a little wider in the 5 speed compared to the six speed, it shouldn't be a very big deal. If it was a very "peaky" power band, I'd say the six speed would be more important, but that's not what I'm hearing so far on the power, just haven't heard much about the different transmissions?
Here's the real kicker, The darn place that has the good price on the new 2013 cb doesn't allow test-rides, and I have yet to ride a cb1100 as of yet. I think I see why they have a 2013 model, when 2016's right around the corner
 
I own a '13 model with the 5 speed. Traveling at speeds up to 75mph isn't a big deal nor do I think it's over revving at those speeds. If you are doing long trips at higher speeds your opinion may vary, to me the cost difference is enough to stay with the 5 speed. The power curve is very linear and smooth delivery. $7500 is a very good price.
 
I have a '13. I've actually come to enjoy the taller gearing of a 5-speed gearbox and not having to shift so must around town. 3rd gear seems to be the 'do everything' gear around town for me.
 
This issue is kind of like seats. Individual preferences seem to vary widely.

I've been riding inline-4 standards for decades and the 5 speed gearbox on my '13 is the lowest revving bikes (at highway speed) that I've owned. I typically don't shift into 5th gear until around 70 - 75 mph.

According to the maintenance manual, the ratios for the 1st 5 gears on both the '13 and '14 are very close. The '14's 6th gear is more like an overdrive gear for the highway.

Given my riding style, I would probably never use 6th gear, but there are some on this site wouldn't consider riding without the six speed.
 
With the major price diff I decided to go with the '13 and 5 speed. Missed the 6th gear and constantly found myself lookin for it. Just passed 2K miles and it feels like the engine is broken in and loosened up a small bit, no longer looking for sixth gear and gas mileage got better. All good.
Right choice for me, I bought the bike to ride and the $1,500 I saved pays for all the farkles I want plus quite a few tanks of gas.
A countershaft sprocket only costs $30 if you decide you really must regear it. Torque nice for country road cruising and the hill country, rode a few hours on the highway recently, no problems cruising along at 75.
Lack of test ride deal killer for me, left several dealerships with money still in my pocket. Never buy on looks only.
 
I have the 2013, re-geared to run 300 rpm lower in 5th gear, and I can't notice a difference - except I'm going 77 mph at 4000 rpm. Low speed, low rpm behavior is still remarkable thanks to the strong torque.
 
Thread starter
4 Paws_imp said:
With the major price diff I decided to go with the '13 and 5 speed. Missed the 6th gear and constantly found myself lookin for it. Just passed 2K miles and it feels like the engine is broken in and loosened up a small bit, no longer looking for sixth gear and gas mileage got better. All good.
Right choice for me, I bought the bike to ride and the $1,500 I saved pays for all the farkles I want plus quite a few tanks of gas.
A countershaft sprocket only costs $30 if you decide you really must regear it. Torque nice for country road cruising and the hill country, rode a few hours on the highway recently, no problems cruising along at 75.
Lack of test ride deal killer for me, left several dealerships with money still in my pocket. Never buy on looks only.
I'd actually probably have the bike in my garage right now if they'd just allow test rides. I'm pretty sure I'd like it a lot, but not knowing for sure how it drives, and feels is still a big risk even though it seems like a very fair deal.
Does anyone know or have a link to the actual ratios here?
 
Jeff, search the site for gear ratios. They've been posted somewhere.

BTW, I have 2011 5-speed and I've ridden it long distances with no difficulty. I wouldn't be at all exercised about no sixth gear.
 
I have a '13, and have ridden a '14. Really like the overdrive 6th, and actually, 5th is also an overdrive. On the '14, RPMs in 5th are noticeably lower than the '13!
The tradeoff is that passing in 6th may need a downshift (or two).
 
I have a '14. Unless your're running 90mph, 6th is useless. 5 speed on this bike is about perfect but I tend to enjoy riding at 4-6krpm.
 
Toddman_imp said:
I have a '14. Unless your're running 90mph, 6th is useless. 5 speed on this bike is about perfect but I tend to enjoy riding at 4-6krpm.
6th is useless? 70+ in 6th vs 5th = way less engine vibration. Cruising in 6th at highway speeds makes the ride much more pleasant. Not a useless gear unless you're riding at really high RPMs
 
I find myself using 6th as low as 45 mph lol. Bike pulls it just fine. Having said that on my 5 speed CB I was running the same roads/ same speeds in 5 th and other than a few less rpms on the tach on the 6 speed, I can't tell the difference between them.

5 speed does fine on the freeway as well, just about 500 rpms higher than on the 6 speed, but still nowhere near straining the motor. I think 80 on the 5 speed was just over 4000 rpms and just under 4000 on the 6 speed.

I did finally run my bike up to 5000 rpms in second and third gears the other day just for grins.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I find myself using 6th as low as 45 mph lol. Bike pulls it just fine. Having said that on my 5 speed CB I was running the same roads/ same speeds in 5 th and other than a few less rpms on the tach on the 6 speed, I can't tell the difference between them.

5 speed does fine on the freeway as well, just about 500 rpms higher than on the 6 speed, but still nowhere near straining the motor. I think 80 on the 5 speed was just over 4000 rpms and just under 4000 on the 6 speed.

I did finally run my bike up to 5000 rpms in second and third gears the other day just for grins.
You REBEL!!
 
I know..felt like such an outlaw. :cool: :banana:
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I know..felt like such an outlaw. :cool: :banana:
Don't torture the engine!
Too much revs anyway....:D

Wisedrum
Don't torture the engine!
Too much revs anyway....:D

Wisedrum
If you don't bounce off the rev limiter at least once a week, then you're doing it wrong. :excited: :celebrate: :thanks:
 
MSB911_imp said:
I have a '13. I've actually come to enjoy the taller gearing of a 5-speed gearbox and not having to shift so must around town. 3rd gear seems to be the 'do everything' gear around town for me.
I'm in complete agreement.

Except for riding on a wide open interstate highway, you could leave the CB in third gear all day.

I had a bike with 6 gears before the CB. I looked for a 6th the first couple of rides I took on the CB, now I never think about it.
 
Wouldn't say that 6th is "useless". But, it's absence is certainly not so dramatic as to be a deal killer. In other words, I wouldn't (and didn't) walk away from a good deal on a 5 speed 2013 because of it.
 
I constantly find myself looking to shift into 6th. Not because of the RPM issue but because the motor has so much torque in every gear that it just seems intuitive to look for that next shift. A handful of people on this forum have mentioned buzzing at 4K RPM and above to the point where it became bothersome (both in the hands and through the foot pegs in one instance if I remember right). I ride at 4K or a little above quiet a bit and just don't seem to notice it. The premium for the 2014 standard which was available at the time I bought my 2013 Standard #00021 Tim Duncan Tribute Edition, was roughly $1.2-$1.4K. I don't miss a sixth gear from a functional perspective. Keep thinking about it and somebody is going to grab that standard out from under you because sub $7500 for this machine is a GREAT price.
 
Back
Top