5 or 6 speed? Gear indicator?

PAULIBIKER_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Been looking at 13’s and 14’s. Do they all have 5 speeds and a gear indicator? Leaning towards a black 14 but there is a low mile 13 close to me pretty cheap. Thanks
 
13s have 5 speeds no indicator

14s have 6 speeds and DO have an indicator
 
I passed over a 13 dlx, w/ 8K miles on it for a BN 14. I paid slightly more for the 14, but i felt inclined based on comments from this forum. Although I don’t do a lot of highway riding today, I felt that the 6 speed would would be more future proof. I plan on keeping it for a long time. It is a truly beautiful bike and a joy to ride.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It can get confusing what model has what,

13 std

13 ABS

14 std

14 DLX

14 EX (Japan and Europe)

15 Special (Japan only)

16 Checkerboard model (Canada only?)

17 EX

17 RS (Japan and Europe only)

If my memory is correct lol. FOr a model that isn't a big seller, Honda sure has worked hard to keep it out there
 
Thread starter
New 14 for $6500 or used 13 with 1200 miles for $4000? I like red and the black motor, so that’s a wash. 6 speeds and gear indicator are nice, but $2500 nice?
 
That's your decision. I moved up from a 13 to a 14 DLX and there was more than a $2500 diff. No regrets from me.Love my Dlx.

Think of it this way though, for $6500 you are getting a brand new, one year newer I-4 1100cc with 6 speeds, triple disc brakes, gear indicator, trip computer, 85 horsepower for the price of most manufacturers 50-70 horsepower twins like the NC 700, FJ-07, SV 650 etc. The new CB is a heck of a deal for that money. You are also getting a new bike warranty for some piece of mind.

You have to decide what features are important to you.
 
PAULIBIKER_imp said:
New 14 for $6500 or used 13 with 1200 miles for $4000? I like red and the black motor, so that’s a wash. 6 speeds and gear indicator are nice, but $2500 nice?
I wouldn't think of it that way. In my opinion, either bike should be considered a great buy for what a person would be getting at those respective prices. If a person's budget could accommodate either bike, then the one to buy is the one that appeals the most to a that person based on their preferences regarding aesthetics/functionality/warranty.
Geez, I type too slow, lol.
 
A GiPro gear indicator is a plug in accessory if one wants. I have one on both my bikes.
 
PAULIBIKER_imp said:
New 14 for $6500 or used 13 with 1200 miles for $4000? I like red and the black motor, so that’s a wash. 6 speeds and gear indicator are nice, but $2500 nice?
Yes, nice, but for me on the bikes that haven't had a gear indicator, I don't even notice it after a few rides; the brain takes over, you know what gear you're in.
 
PAULIBIKER_imp said:
Been looking at 13’s and 14’s. Do they all have 5 speeds and a gear indicator? Leaning towards a black 14 but there is a low mile 13 close to me pretty cheap. Thanks
GENERAL info:

1. 2013 - 5 speed and ONLY neutral indicator, 5th gear = 1.111 (30/27) = NOT O/D

2. 2014 - 6 speed and 1-6 + N indicators, 5th gear = 1.074 (29/27), 6th = 0.964 (27/28) = 6th IS O/D


3. Honda did NOT modified 2013/5-speed tranny JUST by adding the 6th gear to 2014 !!!!!

4. Entire gear ratios for 2013 & 2014 are TOTALLY different. STUDY gear ratio for 5 & 6 speed tranny.
If you do not understand gear ratio/rpm correlation, ask somebody who does, PRIOR making your decision!! Gears are not just the numbers.

I do not intend to influence your decision.

Good luck :thumbsup:

pb
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Thank you papa Ferret for showing me the error of my ways. :thumbsup:
Papa????? Ferret.....I did not know his new name:P

:clap::excited:

pb
 
2013 rider here. Upside to the 5-speed is that you shift 17% less than the 6 speeds. And who really needs a gear indicator when you have a tach? (that's the serious part of this reply).
 
peterbaron_imp said:
PAULIBIKER_imp said:
Been looking at 13’s and 14’s. Do they all have 5 speeds and a gear indicator? Leaning towards a black 14 but there is a low mile 13 close to me pretty cheap. Thanks
GENERAL info:

1. 2013 - 5 speed and ONLY neutral indicator, 5th gear = 1.111 (30/27) = NOT O/D

2. 2014 - 6 speed and 1-6 + N indicators, 5th gear = 1.074 (29/27), 6th = 0.964 (27/28) = 6th IS O/D


3. Honda did NOT modified 2013/5-speed tranny JUST by adding the 6th gear to 2014 !!!!!

4. Entire gear ratios for 2013 & 2014 are TOTALLY different. STUDY gear ratio for 5 & 6 speed tranny.
If you do not understand gear ratio/rpm correlation, ask somebody who does, PRIOR making your decision!! Gears are not just the numbers.

I do not intend to influence your decision.

Good luck :thumbsup:

pb
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Thank you papa Ferret for showing me the error of my ways. :thumbsup:
Papa????? Ferret.....I did not know his new name:P

:clap::excited:

pb
Papa????? Ferret.....I did not know his new name:P

:clap::excited:

pb
That's cause I look like Papa Smurf :rofl:
 
The ferret_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
PAULIBIKER_imp said:
Been looking at 13’s and 14’s. Do they all have 5 speeds and a gear indicator? Leaning towards a black 14 but there is a low mile 13 close to me pretty cheap. Thanks
GENERAL info:

1. 2013 - 5 speed and ONLY neutral indicator, 5th gear = 1.111 (30/27) = NOT O/D

2. 2014 - 6 speed and 1-6 + N indicators, 5th gear = 1.074 (29/27), 6th = 0.964 (27/28) = 6th IS O/D


3. Honda did NOT modified 2013/5-speed tranny JUST by adding the 6th gear to 2014 !!!!!

4. Entire gear ratios for 2013 & 2014 are TOTALLY different. STUDY gear ratio for 5 & 6 speed tranny.
If you do not understand gear ratio/rpm correlation, ask somebody who does, PRIOR making your decision!! Gears are not just the numbers.

I do not intend to influence your decision.

Good luck :thumbsup:

pb
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Thank you papa Ferret for showing me the error of my ways. :thumbsup:
Papa????? Ferret.....I did not know his new name:P

:clap::excited:

pb
Papa????? Ferret.....I did not know his new name:P

:clap::excited:

pb
That's cause I look like Papa Smurf :rofl:
Papa????? Ferret.....I did not know his new name:P

:clap::excited:

pb
That's cause I look like Papa Smurf :rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:thanks: for having great sense of humor..

:worship:

pb
 
I've never had a bike with a gear indicator before and I will admit it's nice to have but it would not be a deciding factor in my purchasing.

The 6th gear though is almost a must, I'm always looking for another gear on my HD and at one point I wanted to install a 6 speed trans but just couldn't afford it at the time.
 
Back
Top