3M Paint defender spray protection- DIY

I for one will be checking some of this stuff out. I notice it doesn't appear to be too difficult to remove. Very interesting.

3M really does make some cool niche products in the automotive arena; pretty gutsy of them to create something to compete with their own clear film protection. Maybe this stuff will eventually take over from the clear film? Only time (and ease of use) will tell.
 
I think maybe buying some and testing it first might be, well, fun actually. I'm going to try to find some this weekend and play with it when the rain is over...

I'm not spraying something on my tank though until I or someone tries it out.
 
I saw this advertised on TV while watching a car repair show last night. It does look interesting. I'm going to try to find some today and do some playing...
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I saw this advertised on TV while watching a car repair show last night. It does look interesting. I'm going to try to find some today and do some playing...
wow, nice.. our own first hand official review coming up...! Thanks popgun.
 
Well if the Autozones here have it, I'll let you know!
 
I did buy the "kit" Saturday, but have not had time to try it out yet. Here is an initial finding though.

It comes in 3 parts and you can buy them separately.

Spray Trigger for the can--$6.99

Application Kit--$11.99 contains 1 roll of masking tape and 1"X20 yards and plastic sheeting for masking 4ydsX5.33yds

Spray Film--$24.99 contains 1 can of film (1lb 1.5oz), 1oz packet of wax and an instruction sheet. The wax is to make it easier to remove the film later.

The instructions show how to mask properly, and how to spray the film. Its not quite like spraying paint. They suggest looking at the demo videos on the 3m site and I am going to do that. It looks easy though. There is a technique for masking to ensure a nice film line.

It says it takes 1-2 hours to dry and 1-4 days before it is water proof. Heat makes it dry faster and they suggest letting it set in the sun.

If you intend to buy this for your car, note that the spray film box front flap will open, showing the inside of the box and on the back of the flap shows how many cans of film you need for jobs. Ex. doing your whole hood takes 2 cans.

More later.
 
Popgun,
I also bought the 3M Paint Defender. Let me give you a suggestion before you apply it: it's better to err on the side of applying a thicker coat than a thinner one. I applied 3 coats, per the 3M video. But the final product was still thin because I moved my hand across the tank too quickly, I suspect. As a result, the final texture is pebbly. Because I applied it too thinly, it's difficult to remove (comes out in patches instead of a single film). Doing some internet research, I've come across the same advice from others. Most also suggest applying a thicker coat, which is more easily removed, than a thin one.

That said, I really like the idea of the Paint Defender. I will remove and try again next week.
 
In the instructions it does mention the distance to hold the can, and the speed at which to move it. I can't remember what it is right now, but I'm going to experiment before I decide to put it on my bike, I may still go with the standard 3M plasic like in the how to do it thread.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
In the instructions it does mention the distance to hold the can, and the speed at which to move it. I can't remember what it is right now, but I'm going to experiment before I decide to put it on my bike, I may still go with the standard 3M plasic like in the how to do it thread.
Hi popgun, in this below video 3M is mentioning to use a distance of 8 inches away,and a hand speed of about 2 to 3 secs per foot, the video has other information too..
 
Thread starter
rjk555_imp said:
Popgun,
I also bought the 3M Paint Defender. Let me give you a suggestion before you apply it: it's better to err on the side of applying a thicker coat than a thinner one. I applied 3 coats, per the 3M video. But the final product was still thin because I moved my hand across the tank too quickly, I suspect. As a result, the final texture is pebbly. Because I applied it too thinly, it's difficult to remove (comes out in patches instead of a single film). Doing some internet research, I've come across the same advice from others. Most also suggest applying a thicker coat, which is more easily removed, than a thin one.

That said, I really like the idea of the Paint Defender. I will remove and try again next week.
how did it come the second time rjk555 ...?
 
And I have to say that I haven't experimented with the spray yet. Being slack...
 
wildezt_imp said:
rjk555_imp said:
Popgun,
I also bought the 3M Paint Defender. Let me give you a suggestion before you apply it: it's better to err on the side of applying a thicker coat than a thinner one. I applied 3 coats, per the 3M video. But the final product was still thin because I moved my hand across the tank too quickly, I suspect. As a result, the final texture is pebbly. Because I applied it too thinly, it's difficult to remove (comes out in patches instead of a single film). Doing some internet research, I've come across the same advice from others. Most also suggest applying a thicker coat, which is more easily removed, than a thin one.

That said, I really like the idea of the Paint Defender. I will remove and try again next week.
how did it come the second time rjk555 ...?
how did it come the second time rjk555 ...?
Gotta do this weekend. Real life, interrupted. :-)
 
3M Paint Defender Success Story

Readers of this thread know that I previously used the 3M spray unsuccessfully. I gave it a second try. What a difference some practice makes. As you'll see towards the bottom of this entry, the 3M delivered good results.

STEP 1: PREP & WAX

I covered parts of the bike using saran wrap and painter's tape, leaving the parts that would accept the film exposed. I then applied the supplied 3M Synthetic Wax Protectant. It's supposed to keep the surface slick, which will help you remove the film someday. FYI, that wax is good stuff. I may use it on a permanent basis for my bike tank.




STEP 2: SPRAY
Next step is to spray. Instructions for spray are found here:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3hJYmtKR4]3M Paint Defender Instructions Video

Learn from my mistakes by erring on the side of excess. My first attempt failed because I was too light on the spray. This is a picture of my first attempt immediately after spraying. The film dried into a similar, and very thin, pebbly texture.

[url=http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/rjk555/media/Bike%20Pics/image-17_zps331e863a.jpeg.html]

I removed the film from my first attempt and tried again. This is my second attempt. See the difference? The second time the spray is much thicker. You can see a lot of white, which was missing from the first attempt. That's the sign you are applying the correct amount of spray. If you don't see white, it's not right. Note: I applied the film in three segments - the right panel, center and then left panel. Each segment received the 3 passes of spray required by the 3M video instructions.

[url=http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/rjk555/media/Bike%20Pics/image-18_zps9dbbfc87.jpeg.html]


STEP 3: REMOVE PAINTER TAPE
About two or three minutes after applying the spray, I removed the painter tape from the bike. This is intended to keep a clear break between the tank and sprayed areas. If I kept the tape on while drying, part of the film may settle on the tape. There might be some puckering on the edges of the film, if you remove the tape then.

[url=http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/rjk555/media/Bike%20Pics/image-19_zps907ba1fa.jpeg.html]


STEP 5: LET DRY
I left my bike alone for the night. The next morning, this was the result:

[url=http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/rjk555/media/Bike%20Pics/image-20_zps2c5fb453.jpeg.html]

[url=http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/rjk555/media/Bike%20Pics/image-15_zpsab41bfb1.jpeg.html]

Can you see the demarcation between the 3M film and unsprayed areas of the tank? From a few feet away, I couldn't. Instead, the film-covered areas look like original paint. It's only close-up (as in a foot or two away) that you can see slight imperfections, such as the occasional dust mote that settled on the film before it dried, or water-like ripples.

The film texture is a bit "grippy," and not smooth like paint. I read elsewhere that applying wax on the sprayed areas will make it smoother, but I haven't had the chance to do so. I will do so next Saturday after the film cures.

STEP 6: CONCLUSION

I'll update this thread in a few months, after I get real-world evidence about the film's longevity and durability. For now, I'm pleased with the results. The film looks good, and it should protect against the minor scuffs that appear on the tank, as a result of your riding pants rubbing on the tank's sides. I like it.

Hope this proves helpful.




APPENDIX - Tip if your first attempt fails, and you need to remove the improperly applied film


Please note that if you apply the spray too thinly, you may have trouble removing the ensuing film. Because it is thin, the film will come out in patchy chunks instead of a single, continuous piece as seen in the 3M videos. For example, I removed a quarter-sized spot of patchy film after 15 minutes. I then got smart and called 3M for help. The customer service rep advised me to use 3M glass cleaner as a solvent. It worked: spray on the solvent, let it soak a bit and use a soft microfiber rag to vigorously rub away the patchy film. 3M said ammonia-based cleaner would also work, but I subjectively got better results using the 3M product. I suggest rewaxing your tank immediately after that, or the glass cleaner may harm the paint.

Here is a link to the glass cleaner: [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VNYZIS/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]3M Glass Cleaner - Amazon.com
 
Back
Top