3M Clear bra to protect tank

Scoobynut_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So, the first thing I did to my bike was apply 3M clear bra material to the rear of the tank. I took lots of pictures of the process in case anyone else is interested. I just thought I would gauge interest before I uploaded all the pics and wrote a how-to. All I'll say is it's just a nice feeling to never again have to worry about scratching the rear of that pretty tank!

I would also be willing to mail the template I cut to whoever is interested in using it. I don't really want to become a mail department, so I would probably leave it up to the members to mail it around to other members, or, if someone else wanted to, they could make copies and mail them to other members. I will however, mail it to the first person who requests it. Having the template would make the clear bra install process much easier for folks who've never custom cut a template before. As an added bonus, I cut the template in such a way that it also prevents the seat from scuffing the paint where it contacts the tank.

Anyways, I recall promising to write a clear bra how-to some time ago on the ADV CB1100 thread, so here I am, ready to show the way for anyone who's interested. :)
 
Post it up in the How To section. Love to see your process.
 
Well I'm interested. My email is everett.mclendon@earthlink.net

I was even thinking of going to a place that installs it on cars, but this would be better.
 
Scooby,
Thanks for doing this. I've been worried about the tank from day one. Is the template already scanned and and electronic form for distribution?
Also, do you have any plans for the side of the tank where the inner thigh possibly make contact?
 
Thread starter
ron1100_imp said:
Scooby,
Thanks for doing this. I've been worried about the tank from day one. Is the template already scanned and and electronic form for distribution?
Also, do you have any plans for the side of the tank where the inner thigh possibly make contact?
Funny you ask, Ron, I just got back from a ride and noticed a few dull scuffs on the side where the knees of my pants were contacting the tank. I've already got the scuffs out, so clear bra material will get cut tonight and go on the sides. I may also cut some for the top of the tank as I like using a magnetic tank bag. I did the rear, the knee cutouts on the side, and the top of the tank of my Super Tenere and it really has saved the paint from a lot of damage. But that bike has a rougher life than this one will!

Well, I think there's enough interest to write the how-to, so I will get to work posting pics and the writeup tonight.
ron1100_imp said:
Scooby,
Thanks for doing this. I've been worried about the tank from day one. Is the template already scanned and and electronic form for distribution?
Also, do you have any plans for the side of the tank where the inner thigh possibly make contact?
Hmmm, I never thought of scanning it like that; I guess the scale would be correct and I can always compare the scan to my original for size. I will save my templates from the knee cutouts on the tank too. They will be a little more difficult, but shouldn't be that hard on this bike the way the cutouts are nice and -- more or less -- flat.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well I'm interested. My email is everett.mclendon@earthlink.net

I was even thinking of going to a place that installs it on cars, but this would be better.
No need to have someone do it, not on a bike -- my how-to should walk you through it.

Cars are a whole different matter; I've done several hoods and they turned out pretty damn nice, but talk about a lot of work and exertion. You actually have to stretch-to-fit one side of the hood once the other side is in place. It was worth saving $300-400 dollars, though.
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
ke6hgi_imp said:
Please post it!
Coming soon!
Coming soon!
Dang, I was first and STILL don't get the prize!:D

How'd ferret jump in front of me anyway..:@ j/k
 
I dont want the pattern .... i just enjoy looking at pictures of processes :D
 
Sccoby,

Thanks for your work and effort on this!

Edit to add: I just looked. No templates yet?
 
Thread starter
Deftquiver_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
Thanks for the write up Scooby. Do you have any experience removing the 3m clear bra? I've heard some horror stories.

Deft
I have removed them before, but only right after application if, say, I wasn't satisfied with it. I think once they've been out in the sun for any length of time they are on there pretty darn good. I remember reading instructions on how to remove it once it's been on there for some time, but haven't revisited that issue since then. I imagine anyone who's had a horror story with them probably didn't follow 3M's removal instructions -- they are probably on their website, but I'll leave it up to you to find it. :P

In any case, once I've applied mine and have been happy with the results, I've never seen any reason to remove it.

BTW, for anyone who's been waiting for the template, go to the how-to thread for an update.
 
On my CB1000 tanks I have used Sniders paint guard,a non adhesive vinyl film bought at Aerostich ,3 big sheets for about $26.Easy to put on and you hardly can see them.
 
Thread starter
We are very close to getting the template scan scaled to the correct size for distribution. Sorry it's taking so long folks, but both myself and Ron, who's been contributing time to this, are pretty busy with life too, so hence the delay. Hang in there, we'll get it out soon.
 
Hey Scoobynut, one quick suggestion: be sure to include a known, set reference point of measurement with your templates — such as a one or two inch scale (or so many centimeters). This way when people print them out, they can compare the reference measurement with an actual ruler to make sure that the printing process did not introduce any unintentional scaling.

Just a thought. It's great that you're putting this together for others to use.

Guth
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Hey Scoobynut, one quick suggestion: be sure to include a known, set reference point of measurement with your templates — such as a one or two inch scale (or so many centimeters). This way when people print them out, they can compare the reference measurement with an actual ruler to make sure that the printing process did not introduce any unintentional scaling.

Just a thought. It's great that you're putting this together for others to use.

Guth
Hey Guth, well, we've now decided that it will be much easier to just snail mail a copy of Ron1100's cleaned up template to everyone who requests it, due to recipients possibly having to still do their own scaling of the scan. See the 'How To' section for more details. :blush:
 
Back
Top