3D Printed Honda CB500

the_undecider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
This guy made a life size model of a '72 CB500 out of plastic on a 3D printer. While I am impressed from an artistic and creative perspective, I have to ask why. He mentions life getting in the way, buy it seems that the countless hours making this might well have gotten in the way of his life. I can only imagine how much he spent on the printer. Surely, he could have bought a bike with what he spent, probably a lot of bikes.

 
The Ultimaker 2 3D Printer is $2499. Shipping is free. The plastic ranges from $25 to $45 per kilo depending on the quality. (I had to look that up!) He says he used 18 kilos, making his plastic costs between $450 and $810. Total cost - approx $2950 to $3310. Not too bad for an amazing creation. Of course, I'm not factoring in the cost of his time but how do you do that when the guy is obviously obsessed with his work and considers himself an artist. I think it's really cool and hope it makes its way into a museum.
 
That is a CB 750, not a 500. Look closely st the motor and the oil tank, the shape of the fuel tank, the exhaust.

Pretty cool though
 
Thread starter
metallyguitarded_imp said:
The Ultimaker 2 3D Printer is $2499. Shipping is free. The plastic ranges from $25 to $45 per kilo depending on the quality. (I had to look that up!) He says he used 18 kilos, making his plastic costs between $450 and $810. Total cost - approx $2950 to $3310. Not too bad for an amazing creation. Of course, I'm not factoring in the cost of his time but how do you do that when the guy is obviously obsessed with his work and considers himself an artist. I think it's really cool and hope it makes its way into a museum.
That's not as expensive as I figured, but I still think he'd be better off with a real bike. Somehow, I get the impression that he has never ridden, so who knows. Since he is an artist, I assume he will use the printer for other projects, so it isn't as simple as saying he could have bought a real bike with that money. Artists don't usually consider how many hours it takes to complete a piece in whether it is worth any sort of payoff in return. It's all in the process.
The ferret_imp said:
That is a CB 750, not a 500. Look closely st the motor and the oil tank, the shape of the fuel tank, the exhaust.

Pretty cool though
This begs the question then of how he was able to model all of the components into the CAD for the printer to spit out all of the pieces. The artist claims it was a 500. Surely, he knew what he was modeling or he is simply an incredibly talented artist with no knowledge of motorcycles (this may perfectly describe the hipster motorcyclists all over the country).
 
The exhaust is definitely wrong for a '72 CB500. they narrowed at the end distinguishing themselves from the CB750.

The CB500 also didn't have the oil filler cap on the right hand side cover.

None of that takes away from the brilliance of his work. It's great stuff.

4996dd9fcff7eb6883cf5392274710ef.jpg
 
So..I figured I'd just send an email to the artist about the discrepancies discussed above. What do you know, but he replied. Here's what he said on the subject:

Hi Matt, Thanks for contacting me.
Things got a bit confused in the editing of the video and I credit you for your attention to details. The sculpture will be featured in an upcoming Print issue of Motorcycle Magazine which will clarify things further for enthusiasts like yourself.

I honestly don’t know a lot about motorcycles and didn’t make a huge effort toward accuracy despite the amount of detail. The real life motorcycle my sculpture is based on was a 1972CB500 Four like the photo I attached. The one I created ended up being a combination of 1970’s Honda motorcycle parts that I could find “ready made” 3D models of online and those I drew from original Honda press photos like the one attached. [Jonathan sent the exact picture of the 500 that Cormanus just posted] It would be more accurate to label mine a generic early 70’s CB or perhaps a customized CB500.

Thanks,

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Brand
 
Not taking anything away from the artists work, I agree, outstanding work and very, very cool. Would love to have that in my living room!

Interestingly though, if you freeze the video at 2:19 and ask anyone even remotely familiar with early Hondas what it was, they would identify that as a 750 rather than a 500. Then seeing the pipes would cinch it as Cormanus pointed out the 750 had long tapered pipes, the 500 pipes reduced then flared on the ends. The wheels, seat, fenders, turn signals, tailight, handlebars, headlight, suspension, switches, levers, instruments, pegs were all generic enough to be from either model. So in the end the artists explanation that it's an amalgamation of early CB's is probably accurate.
 
Thread starter
The artist has some interesting work featured on his website. There is a paper model of a Ford Mustang body, engine, wheels, and various parts. It's title, "One Piece at a Time," is admittedly a nod to Johnny Cash. It's also confirmation of his hipster status. Hipsters love them some Cash!

The motorcycle being an homage to 1970s Honda CBs is not unlike our very own CB1100s.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Not taking anything away from the artists work, I agree, outstanding work and very, very cool. Would love to have that in my living room!

Interestingly though, if you freeze the video at 2:19 and ask anyone even remotely familiar with early Hondas what it was, they would identify that as a 750 rather than a 500. Then seeing the pipes would cinch it as Cormanus pointed out the 750 had long tapered pipes, the 500 pipes reduced then flared on the ends. The wheels, seat, fenders, turn signals, tailight, handlebars, headlight, suspension, switches, levers, instruments, pegs were all generic enough to be from either model. So in the end the artists explanation that it's an amalgamation of early CB's is probably accurate.
I'll submit that most folks would ID it as a 750 simply because of the higher historical profile of the 750. Very few folks are aware of the 500, fewer still of that small batch would recall the 500 before thinking of the 750.

That leaves The Ferret, outstanding in his field.

By himself....... (we need a poking in the ribs gramelin!). :D

Still, one heck of a project. :worship:
 
Hey Rboe...see all the Guzzi models from that company I posted in the model thread?
 
I didn't look too deep into it (less temptation) but saw a couple. I picked up a B-17 metal model at the last Guzzi rally (was bummed as when the drawings started an Abrams tank was on top and I must missed it, luck me, the B-17 was under it!).

But our house needs less clutter and I'm still loosing that battle. :P
 
Back
Top