35K miles..living with the CB

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
On yesterday's ride I turned over 35,000 miles on my CB 1100.

91bb826cfc59afa08a64c8b7639cd8fc.jpg


I pre-ordered it in Nov or Dec 2013, it came in on 4-02-2014 and I picked it up and rode it home on 4-5-2014 trading in my 2013 CB1100 with 8,500 miles on it.

Seeing it for the first time

a30826e65e5749c3716891cc094582bf.jpg


odometer reading when I picked it up (0)

25afab3857fd23087b8f2c352fdec6ef.jpg


riding it home on 4-5

3f70bc3ca58f2cf33aed5938738be2aa.jpg


Things I added:

RLETs of course,( they were installed when the bike was set up), a small quickly removable NC Street Shield EX windshield (which has been shortened 7") chrome instrument cups and painted headlight bucket from Samurider, Kawasaki fork gaiters, 83 degree valve stems from Kurvygurl, a Fehling luggage rack, Progrip 719 Gel grips, a Helmet Guardian, and a battery tender pig tail. Also removed reflectors, tank stickers and did the Chip Beck lic plate mod with a piece sent by Chip Beck hisself.

394b7bd9e8a3c470c685c1c2fc152ea1.jpg


Maintenance:

I performed the initial service at 476 miles. The oil and filter have been changed 8 times since (for a total of 9 oil and filter changes) at approx 4,000 mile intervals. It's due again in 1000 miles. I have changed all the oil and filters myself.(Always using GN4 10W30 dino oil and oem filter). BTW changing the oil and filter on this bike is a snap.

I have replaced 3 sets of tires (always F&R together). The original Dunlop's lasted 8543 miles. I switched to Michelin Pilot Road 3s at that point.The first set of Michelin's lasted 10,559 miles, the next set made it 10,424 miles and I have 5474 miles on the current set. I am disappointed Michelin has quit making these tires. I like them a lot. (All tires replaced by the shop)

I replaced front and rear brake pads at 19,102 miles. (shop)

I also had the brake and clutch fluids replaced at 19,102 and again at 24,000 because I forgot I had them done at 19,102 lol (shop)

I replaced the original spark plugs at 26,026 miles. They still looked good. (self)

I replaced the air cleaner at 26,026 too and it needed it lol (self)

I have never had the valves inspected, as the bike starts fine, runs fine, makes no strange noises and my fuel mileage has remained consistent at around 57 mpg. It has never been revved over 6,000 rpms.

I am still running the original chain and sprockets but just bought an oem replacement set (they will be replaced by the shop when I have it done).

Although purchased primarily as a "local ride" (I have a touring bike) it has proven itself worthy of multi-day multi-state trips when fitted with Tourmaster soft luggage. It has been ridden to North Carolina, Virginia, and Arkansas for CB forum rally's, to Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana and West Virginia on rides with buddies and to North Carolina, Ohio, central Kentucky, and West Virginia on Fall Men's Trips with family. Also recently ridden in Colorado (towed from Indiana and back) for 5 days with a side trip up to Nebraska, with fellow forum members.

6ead05857e3700fdea74faaf05376f4d.jpg


It is ridden in all 4 seasons and all 12 months of the year, in rain, snow, hail and blistering sun...whatever Mother Nature throws it's way. It gets washed 2-3 times a year. Usually in the spring to wash off the salt, and in the fall to get rid on road grime. Other than that it just get's ridden. Knock on wood, so far it has never let me down. It does show some corrosion on engine case covers and on the rear wheel. A by-product of winter riding I think. My Honda car and truck shows the same corrosion on the wheels

What has broken:

The left mirror lost some of it's reflective coating about an inch long and 1/4" wide along the bottom (out of warranty-replaced by a generous forum member..thanks PD)

The left front turn signal lens, which disintegrated around mounting base and fell off in my hand recently in Indiana. (out of warranty, ordered a new one)

That's it.

Been a great bike so far. Comfortable enough for me to put in 12 hours straight in the saddle, quiet, smooth, easy to ride, plenty of power especially for riding 45-60 mph on country back roads that I prefer, stunning good looks and Honda's legendary reliability.

Here's to the next 35,000 miles :thumbsup:
 
To the next 35,000 miles. Look forward to sharing some of them vicariously.
 
It is interesting to me to see that you have had very little to replace beyond expected maintenance items. Some of the other things that I think of are clutch levers that get sloppy or the related cables. You had mentioned the chain and its sprockets holding up for as long as they have. Good read.
 
A bloke you carry around on the pillion seat who looks after your helmet when you step off for pizza? :dodgy:
 
The ferret_imp said:
On yesterday's ride I turned over 35,000 miles on my CB 1100.

91bb826cfc59afa08a64c8b7639cd8fc.jpg


I pre-ordered it in Nov or Dec 2013, it came in on 4-02-2014 and I picked it up and rode it home on 4-5-2014 trading in my 2013 CB1100 with 8,500 miles on it.

Seeing it for the first time

a30826e65e5749c3716891cc094582bf.jpg


odometer reading when I picked it up (0)

25afab3857fd23087b8f2c352fdec6ef.jpg


riding it home on 4-5

3f70bc3ca58f2cf33aed5938738be2aa.jpg


Things I added:

RLETs of course,( they were installed when the bike was set up), a small quickly removable NC Street Shield EX windshield (which has been shortened 7") chrome instrument cups and painted headlight bucket from Samurider, Kawasaki fork gaiters, 83 degree valve stems from Kurvygurl, a Fehling luggage rack, Progrip 719 Gel grips, a Helmet Guardian, and a battery tender pig tail. Also removed reflectors, tank stickers and did the Chip Beck lic plate mod with a piece sent by Chip Beck hisself.

394b7bd9e8a3c470c685c1c2fc152ea1.jpg


Maintenance:

I performed the initial service at 476 miles. The oil and filter have been changed 8 times since (for a total of 9 oil and filter changes) at approx 4,000 mile intervals. It's due again in 1000 miles. I have changed all the oil and filters myself.(Always using GN4 10W30 dino oil and oem filter). BTW changing the oil and filter on this bike is a snap.

I have replaced 3 sets of tires (always F&R together). The original Dunlop's lasted 8543 miles. I switched to Michelin Pilot Road 3s at that point.The first set of Michelin's lasted 10,559 miles, the next set made it 10,424 miles and I have 5474 miles on the current set. I am disappointed Michelin has quit making these tires. I like them a lot. (All tires replaced by the shop)

I replaced front and rear brake pads at 19,102 miles. (shop)

I also had the brake and clutch fluids replaced at 19,102 and again at 24,000 because I forgot I had them done at 19,102 lol (shop)

I replaced the original spark plugs at 26,026 miles. They still looked good. (self)

I replaced the air cleaner at 26,026 too and it needed it lol (self)

I have never had the valves inspected, as the bike starts fine, runs fine, makes no strange noises and my fuel mileage has remained consistent at around 57 mpg. It has never been revved over 6,000 rpms.

I am still running the original chain and sprockets but just bought an oem replacement set (they will be replaced by the shop when I have it done).

Although purchased primarily as a "local ride" (I have a touring bike) it has proven itself worthy of multi-day multi-state trips when fitted with Tourmaster soft luggage. It has been ridden to North Carolina, Virginia, and Arkansas for CB forum rally's, to Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana and West Virginia on rides with buddies and to North Carolina, Ohio, central Kentucky, and West Virginia on Fall Men's Trips with family. Also recently ridden in Colorado (towed from Indiana and back) for 5 days with a side trip up to Nebraska, with fellow forum members.

6ead05857e3700fdea74faaf05376f4d.jpg


It is ridden in all 4 seasons and all 12 months of the year, in rain, snow, hail and blistering sun...whatever Mother Nature throws it's way. It gets washed 2-3 times a year. Usually in the spring to wash off the salt, and in the fall to get rid on road grime. Other than that it just get's ridden. Knock on wood, so far it has never let me down. It does show some corrosion on engine case covers and on the rear wheel. A by-product of winter riding I think. My Honda car and truck shows the same corrosion on the wheels

What has broken:

The left mirror lost some of it's reflective coating about an inch long and 1/4" wide along the bottom (out of warranty-replaced by a generous forum member..thanks PD)

The left front turn signal lens, which disintegrated around mounting base and fell off in my hand recently in Indiana. (out of warranty, ordered a new one)

That's it.

Been a great bike so far. Comfortable enough for me to put in 12 hours straight in the saddle, quiet, smooth, easy to ride, plenty of power especially for riding 45-60 mph on country back roads that I prefer, stunning good looks and Honda's legendary reliability.

Here's to the next 35,000 miles :thumbsup:

I don't know what touring bike you have, but when I walk into garage, I can choose either a '15 Goldwing or a '14 CB 1100. I almost always choose the CB1100, unless interstate riding is involved. It's just a fun bike to ride! If I thought I could tour on the CB1100, I'd sell the Goldwing. Just not ready to give up all of the creature comforts a Goldwing has to offer on a multi-day, 1,000+ mile trip. At some point, I will drop down to just one bike.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I have a Honda ST 1300 besides the CB
 
Congrats ferret! I can only hope to get to that many miles on my CB one day.

Also: really enjoyed reading about your CB's history - makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing that even this bike is still a Honda, not needing much besides regular maintenance. Bonus: I have a better idea of what to expect down the road as far as brake pads, etc!

Here's to the next 35,000 miles! :beerchug:
 
Great milestone on a great bike., congrats, and many more happy miles ahead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
If there is a man in North America who digs his CB more than ferret digs his...he's being awfully quiet about it. :thumbsup:
 
Congrats on the milestone and thanks for sharing the story. Now some of the next 35,000 miles ought to be spent on a ride up to Chicago or Wisconsin, or Chicago AND Wisconsin. :)
 
Very interesting that you never had the valves inspected. Nothing against my local shop or the other Honda shops in the area, but you just don't know who you're going to get as the technician when your bike is serviced. Regarding the valve inspection, the chance of an inexperienced tech causing a problem is greater than the chance of finding the valves significantly out of spec.

I believe I will have to follow your lead. As long as everything seems okay, I'm not going to let them open up the engine (while paying a small fortune for the risk). If I happen to befriend a master technician of proven competence, I will reconsider.
 
Congrats on the 35K milestone Ferret! :thumbsup:

I'm close to 20K miles and other than regular oil/filter changes, I replaced the plugs at 9K miles, air filter at 16K and flushed the brake and clutch fluid 2 times. I haven't had the valve clearances checked yet and am also skeptical about whether my dealer will do it at all or properly. I may do it myself this year though and will change the plugs again at the same time. My brake pads are getting close to needing replacement and I'll do it myself.
 
Back
Top