2500 RPM Just feels lean.

quail_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
As you can guess by the thread title I get the feeiling that my bike (2014) is running lean at 2400-2700 RPMs. I say that because my old CB750 had a bad habit of running lean on #4 when pressed hard, and it feels just like that. I think I hear it in the exhaust, but then again I am almost deaf. I think I feel it holding back, but then again I drag my feet when I am tired. It is not something I can put my finger on, it is just a feeling. Anyone else?
 
It's possible it is running lean, but then, our impressions about such things are usually very subjective.

I had a similar impression with my CB...at certain RPM it seemed strained and the exhaust sounded raspy, especially in second gear (with stock exhaust). I considered a Power Commander, but then gave an O2 Sensor Eliminator a try. It smoothed out throttle response, the exhaust no longer sounded raspy, and the bike no longer shuts off fuel drastically when I roll off the throttle so there is no longer any abrupt engine braking in corners. Short of the hard data from a dyno run, this was the "subjective" cure for my bike (your results may vary) ;)

For very little money, the O2 Sensor Eliminator Plug may be worth a try!
 
You are not imagining things. Once in a while the timing will retard a bit more than usual leaving a stop or lugging it. It's surprising, the bike just doesn't pull away like it usually does. Not often, but yeah, it happens. When the clutch switch is out, the timing changes. Yes, it's like that on some bikes. My GSX-R 750 has a very noticeable change at low RPM when disengaging the clutch. ECU sees the switch is released and retards the timing. Feels like you rolled off the throttle, right, or bogs just a little?

I think a reflash would cure all that.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
You are not imagining things. Once in a while the timing will retard a bit more than usual leaving a stop or lugging it. It's surprising, the bike just doesn't pull away like it usually does. Not often, but yeah, it happens. When the clutch switch is out, the timing changes. Yes, it's like that on some bikes. My GSX-R 750 has a very noticeable change at low RPM when disengaging the clutch. ECU sees the switch is released and retards the timing. Feels like you rolled off the throttle, right, or bogs just a little?

I think a reflash would cure all that.
Although the CB has very little retard in the lower gears the flash does smooth out the 10-50% throttle response.

My 2011 GSXR 750 was horrible under 6000RPM's once above fueling was spot on. I installed Ivan's retarder eliminator( fools the ecu thinking its in fourth gear) which helped. Traded the bike in 2 months with 1100 MI for a CBR1000RR which was the best all around ( street) liter bike I've ever owned.
 
CIP57_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
You are not imagining things. Once in a while the timing will retard a bit more than usual leaving a stop or lugging it. It's surprising, the bike just doesn't pull away like it usually does. Not often, but yeah, it happens. When the clutch switch is out, the timing changes. Yes, it's like that on some bikes. My GSX-R 750 has a very noticeable change at low RPM when disengaging the clutch. ECU sees the switch is released and retards the timing. Feels like you rolled off the throttle, right, or bogs just a little?

I think a reflash would cure all that.
Although the CB has very little retard in the lower gears the flash does smooth out the 10-50% throttle response.

My 2011 GSXR 750 was horrible under 6000RPM's once above fueling was spot on. I installed Ivan's retarder eliminator( fools the ecu thinking its in fourth gear) which helped. Traded the bike in 2 months with 1100 MI for a CBR1000RR which was the best all around ( street) liter bike I've ever owned.
Although the CB has very little retard in the lower gears the flash does smooth out the 10-50% throttle response.

My 2011 GSXR 750 was horrible under 6000RPM's once above fueling was spot on. I installed Ivan's retarder eliminator( fools the ecu thinking its in fourth gear) which helped. Traded the bike in 2 months with 1100 MI for a CBR1000RR which was the best all around ( street) liter bike I've ever owned. Yep, you cannot limp-wrist the shifting on the GSX-R. It is a racebike. Heard great things about the CBR1000RR as well; more bike than anyone needs, but not as much bike as most guys want especially these days. Spec sheets sell bikes.

They do some funny things with the ECU programming at lower RPMs on bikes so this is probably what the OP is noticing.
 
Thread starter
Lugging, lack of throttle response, holding back, noticing something different in the sound of the exhaust, yes all of those "feelings" is what I am taking about. I just run the bike in a lower gear, tack at 3000+ and all seems well. That O2 sensor idea may be a thought after it goes out of warranty. Just seems like honda would notice that this bike rides very quiet at 25000-27000, but just like my old 40 year old 4 carb nightmare at the same speeds. Just a little whine before I settle in for the night.
I found this thread talking about the exact same thing.

NHCB wrote:

So my o2 eliminator came in yesterday. Very fast shipping from the UK. I got it off Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221639679815?_tr...EBIDX:IT

It Worked! the bike is smooth any where from 1-3000 rpm. So riding in traffic or through town will no longer be frusrating. High Rpm's are still awesome as they always have been. Iv only put 20 or so miles on with it but absolutely a huge improvement. So we'll see how it goes after some more mileage. Thanks everyone for your Ideas and thanks Siggy for bringing the o2 eliminator to my attention.
I do still plan on getting my bike on the Dyno, with and with out the eliminator to see what it shows.
Well I ordered the part. cost 17.00 from the UK.
 
Look forward to hearing your impressions, quail.
 
quail_imp said:
As you can guess by the thread title I get the feeiling that my bike (2014) is running lean at 2400-2700 RPMs. I say that because my old CB750 had a bad habit of running lean on #4 when pressed hard, and it feels just like that. I think I hear it in the exhaust, but then again I am almost deaf. I think I feel it holding back, but then again I drag my feet when I am tired. It is not something I can put my finger on, it is just a feeling. Anyone else?
Quail,

Of course it's lean under light throttle at low RPM. Motorcycle emission standards make that a necessity these days. Running an engine lean does several things but best performance and throttle response are not among them. Running lean raises exhaust gas temperatures which makes the catalytic converter more effective, raises fuel mileage, and decreases emissions. Bikes are run as lean as possible under light throttle and under heavy throttle they run richer for better response and to keep temps in a safe range. An aftermarket tune runs richer (closer to the sweet spot). Emissions are up a bit although most vehicles will still pass annual emission tests if your state has those, your bike will run a bit cooler, and throttle response from low RPM will be a bit better. FWIW, all cars and bikes are like this whether you can feel it or not.

Chip
 
Thread starter
Well I put the part in. I need to find a smooth road and really give it a fair test. I rode tonight for 10 minutes and I think it has improved. A better road and more time will tell the whole story.
 
Thread starter
Well it did not cure all of it. BUT from 2500 to 3000 rpms it did cure it. So if I find myself in 5th gear and my speed drops my rpm below 2500 I notice it. But 2300- 2500 rpms in 5th gear just may not be a sweet spot for this engine. it has enough power to accel fine at that rpm, but (my 3rd "but" in this update) I really feel I am running the engine at a rpm it was not designed to run at in that gear.
 
quail_imp said:
Well it did not cure all of it. BUT from 2500 to 3000 rpms it did cure it. So if I find myself in 5th gear and my speed drops my rpm below 2500 I notice it. But 2300- 2500 rpms in 5th gear just may not be a sweet spot for this engine. it has enough power to accel fine at that rpm, but (my 3rd "but" in this update) I really feel I am running the engine at a rpm it was not designed to run at in that gear.
Possibly...stop driving it like a hearse! ;)



Keep the RPM well above 2500...both you and the bike will be much happier!
Hopefully you didn't break it in at such consistently low RPM...
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
quail_imp said:
Well it did not cure all of it. BUT from 2500 to 3000 rpms it did cure it. So if I find myself in 5th gear and my speed drops my rpm below 2500 I notice it. But 2300- 2500 rpms in 5th gear just may not be a sweet spot for this engine. it has enough power to accel fine at that rpm, but (my 3rd "but" in this update) I really feel I am running the engine at a rpm it was not designed to run at in that gear.
Possibly...stop driving it like a hearse! ;)



Keep the RPM well above 2500...both you and the bike will be much happier!
Hopefully you didn't break it in at such consistently low RPM...
Have a care, that kind of talk can be thought heresy...:rofl:
 
Thread starter
No I am just lazy at times when I come up behind a car driving 50. I just fail to downshift until I want to accel. I like the way the bike feels above 3000 BUT she is so quiet at 2500. I did find the fuel cut at 125 the other day, I do not think they cut it out to early. Does not seem like there was a lot left to be had. Just wonder why the found it necessary.
 
I think one of the advantages of a liter in line 4 is not having to do a flamenco dance on the gear shifter when riding. This bike will cleanly pull from below 2,000 rpms to redline in most any gear including 6 th. Riding along at 55 in 6 th you come into a small town with a 35 mph limit and you just back off the throttle and roll through and on the other side of town just roll on the throttle up to 55 again with no need to shift.

Conversely you are getting on the entrance ramp of the freeway and juice it up in each gear as high as you want enjoying the rush of acceleration available in the higher regions of the rpms zone.

Or, you are in the twisties and use only a gear or two as you shoot between the curves and use engine braking to knock off the few mph that makes you comfortable entering a turn and using the prodigious torque peak at 5 K to pull you out of the curve like a locomotive on steroids.

It's all good.
 
I assume you searched and read all the ECU flash posts on this forum?
Filled the midrange in for mine years ago...and took top speed limiter off in the process :-)
Guhl Motors in Ephrata, PA has done many of them for owners on this forum.
 
Back
Top