21 Days Under The Sky

Never heard of it. What is it about? Might watch it tomorrow.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Never heard of it. What is it about? Might watch it tomorrow.
It's a docu-film about 4 guys who take their home built vintage choppers on a journey from SanFrancisco to New York for a bikers meet. Tough riding, breakdowns and self sufficiency, along with praying for the next gas station to appear on the horizon.
I enjoyed it, light entertainment :cool:
 
Sounds like a fun watch. THanks
 
Well I had a different view of it but I see how riders with somewhat less than half a million miles of riding might find it "light entertainment". Well-said.
 
I'll check it out. So, what is your "different view" of it, Ulventanna? Not sure I exactly understand your comment.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I'll check it out. So, what is your "different view" of it, Ulventanna? Not sure I exactly understand your comment.
I get why they did it, for the steam punk appeal. It is a period thing, vinyl records, magnetic tape, Kodachrome, all that stuff is very interesting to millennials especially. But I personally believe in free speech and good entertainment and I do like motorcycles. So trust me, I am good with this, but as "light entertainment" only. There are a lot of purpose-built rat racers and cafe bikes in my town, and they are very, very cool. Guys taking old Honda, Yamaha, other Japanese stuff and tricking it out, making rolling art from it, using the bikes for daily transpo, duct tape and flat black paint everywhere.

I found Helge Pedersen's "10 Years on Two Wheels" more to my liking; for example, Helge disassembled his bike and packed it through the Darien Gap. Effin crazy and truly very, very dangerous. But again, no mistake about it, I am totally cool with these dudes and it's all good. Light-hearted, but good.
 
My son got me Helge bookk for Christmas one year. Those world traveller type dudes are seriously tough mentally. BMW break down in the middle of the Peruvian jungle? Ahhh no big deal lol
 
I guess I was wondering to whom you were referring when you said "but I see how riders with somewhat less than half a million miles of riding might find it "light entertainment"
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I guess I was wondering to whom you were referring when you said "but I see how riders with somewhat less than half a million miles of riding might find it "light entertainment"
OK well, it's not just the miles, it's the years. Miles? I am referring to me but I stopped counting years ago. I live where the riding season is 12 months a year and it starts to add up. But to me, an old guy, it just looks like a gimmick to some degree. Like, "let's see how hard we can make this on ourselves, but we really won't be in any danger because we got a film crew and phones and wireless and satellites and stuff, GPS and all that jazz." Sort of like Ewan MacGregor with all those chase trucks and stuff.

But again let me be clear, I am not a killjoy and the last thing I'd ever want to see is someone try to take away another guy's sense of adventure, as long as he ain't doing anything to put other folks in danger.
The ferret_imp said:
My son got me Helge bookk for Christmas one year. Those world traveller type dudes are seriously tough mentally. BMW break down in the middle of the Peruvian jungle? Ahhh no big deal lol
The guy is a nut, certifiably but in a good way. I met him at an annual bike show, no one knew who he was then. He autographed my copy of the book, a very, very cool dude. I like the passage where he bagged on the BMW high-mileage guys ("Adventure Bike" was not even a term then) for leaving all the smashed bugs on their windscreens as a badge of honor.

Of course, these days, he is all dialed in with an off-road "Adventure Touring" school and such. And much, much grayer but a big smile on his face.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
I guess I was wondering to whom you were referring when you said "but I see how riders with somewhat less than half a million miles of riding might find it "light entertainment"
OK well, it's not just the miles, it's the years. Miles? I am referring to me but I stopped counting years ago. I live where the riding season is 12 months a year and it starts to add up. But to me, an old guy, it just looks like a gimmick to some degree. Like, "let's see how hard we can make this on ourselves, but we really won't be in any danger because we got a film crew and phones and wireless and satellites and stuff, GPS and all that jazz." Sort of like Ewan MacGregor with all those chase trucks and stuff.

But again let me be clear, I am not a killjoy and the last thing I'd ever want to see is someone try to take away another guy's sense of adventure, as long as he ain't doing anything to put other folks in danger.
The ferret_imp said:
My son got me Helge bookk for Christmas one year. Those world traveller type dudes are seriously tough mentally. BMW break down in the middle of the Peruvian jungle? Ahhh no big deal lol
The guy is a nut, certifiably but in a good way. I met him at an annual bike show, no one knew who he was then. He autographed my copy of the book, a very, very cool dude. I like the passage where he bagged on the BMW high-mileage guys ("Adventure Bike" was not even a term then) for leaving all the smashed bugs on their windscreens as a badge of honor.

Of course, these days, he is all dialed in with an off-road "Adventure Touring" school and such. And much, much grayer but a big smile on his face.
OK well, it's not just the miles, it's the years. Miles? I am referring to me but I stopped counting years ago. I live where the riding season is 12 months a year and it starts to add up. But to me, an old guy, it just looks like a gimmick to some degree. Like, "let's see how hard we can make this on ourselves, but we really won't be in any danger because we got a film crew and phones and wireless and satellites and stuff, GPS and all that jazz." Sort of like Ewan MacGregor with all those chase trucks and stuff.

But again let me be clear, I am not a killjoy and the last thing I'd ever want to see is someone try to take away another guy's sense of adventure, as long as he ain't doing anything to put other folks in danger.

Thanks for clearing up your point. I don't think the riders' ages or their accumulated riding miles has much to do with whether their "adventure" was gimmicky or not. The concept of the trip was no more of a gimmick than someone doing one of the Iron Butt rides, but that's sort of the nature of the beast I think. They really did ride from coast to coast and on some pretty uncomfortable looking bikes which were not designed for this purpose. That alone made it worth watching, especially since it was just over an hour long and interestingly filmed/edited.

But here are the questions I really need answered: At the beginning of the film, Josh is shown heading out leaving his significant other in the doorway, rides down his street and crosses a river via a big white bridge. I inferred that I was watching him ride out to meet his compatriots, but I recognized the bridge he crosses. As it happens, I rode across it about 6 days ago. It's in Rockford, IL and crosses the Rock River. A quick Google search tells me that Josh lives in Rockford. So, did he ride his custom and handmade bike from Rockford to San Francisco and then back to New York? If so, I would have thought that worthy of note. If not, then why the footage of him pulling out of his driveway?

Like I said, though, it's a good way to spend 70 minutes.
 
I watched it, interesting and entertaining although slow. I had to do it in two sittings. My question is, did they ride back home?

"Road" is a good one to watch on Netflix


Sent from me......
 
Thread starter
MMC_imp said:
I watched it, interesting and entertaining although slow. I had to do it in two sittings. My question is, did they ride back home?

"Road" is a good one to watch on Netflix


Sent from me......
I'll check that one out soon, cheers.
EmptySea_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
I guess I was wondering to whom you were referring when you said "but I see how riders with somewhat less than half a million miles of riding might find it "light entertainment"
OK well, it's not just the miles, it's the years. Miles? I am referring to me but I stopped counting years ago. I live where the riding season is 12 months a year and it starts to add up. But to me, an old guy, it just looks like a gimmick to some degree. Like, "let's see how hard we can make this on ourselves, but we really won't be in any danger because we got a film crew and phones and wireless and satellites and stuff, GPS and all that jazz." Sort of like Ewan MacGregor with all those chase trucks and stuff.

But again let me be clear, I am not a killjoy and the last thing I'd ever want to see is someone try to take away another guy's sense of adventure, as long as he ain't doing anything to put other folks in danger.
The ferret_imp said:
My son got me Helge bookk for Christmas one year. Those world traveller type dudes are seriously tough mentally. BMW break down in the middle of the Peruvian jungle? Ahhh no big deal lol
The guy is a nut, certifiably but in a good way. I met him at an annual bike show, no one knew who he was then. He autographed my copy of the book, a very, very cool dude. I like the passage where he bagged on the BMW high-mileage guys ("Adventure Bike" was not even a term then) for leaving all the smashed bugs on their windscreens as a badge of honor.

Of course, these days, he is all dialed in with an off-road "Adventure Touring" school and such. And much, much grayer but a big smile on his face.
OK well, it's not just the miles, it's the years. Miles? I am referring to me but I stopped counting years ago. I live where the riding season is 12 months a year and it starts to add up. But to me, an old guy, it just looks like a gimmick to some degree. Like, "let's see how hard we can make this on ourselves, but we really won't be in any danger because we got a film crew and phones and wireless and satellites and stuff, GPS and all that jazz." Sort of like Ewan MacGregor with all those chase trucks and stuff.

But again let me be clear, I am not a killjoy and the last thing I'd ever want to see is someone try to take away another guy's sense of adventure, as long as he ain't doing anything to put other folks in danger.

Thanks for clearing up your point. I don't think the riders' ages or their accumulated riding miles has much to do with whether their "adventure" was gimmicky or not. The concept of the trip was no more of a gimmick than someone doing one of the Iron Butt rides, but that's sort of the nature of the beast I think. They really did ride from coast to coast and on some pretty uncomfortable looking bikes which were not designed for this purpose. That alone made it worth watching, especially since it was just over an hour long and interestingly filmed/edited.

But here are the questions I really need answered: At the beginning of the film, Josh is shown heading out leaving his significant other in the doorway, rides down his street and crosses a river via a big white bridge. I inferred that I was watching him ride out to meet his compatriots, but I recognized the bridge he crosses. As it happens, I rode across it about 6 days ago. It's in Rockford, IL and crosses the Rock River. A quick Google search tells me that Josh lives in Rockford. So, did he ride his custom and handmade bike from Rockford to San Francisco and then back to New York? If so, I would have thought that worthy of note. If not, then why the footage of him pulling out of his driveway?

Like I said, though, it's a good way to spend 70 minutes.
Interesting, and as MMC asks, I also wondered if they rode back again.
Bummer, Road is not available on the UK Netflix and can't get there via a VPN anymore. I'll have to find another way
 
Back
Top