2024 MG Stelvio

Thread starter
I see it as a sport touring motorcycle, only with a little more upright riding position and more versatile with its 6 1/2" travel and 19" front, one that'll work fine on gravel roads. Probably not quite as nice on bad roads as a V85TT but a little better as a sporty highway tourer.
Compared to the new R1300GS base model, the Guzzi comes in around $3,500 less. It certainly is less powerful but 100hp is plenty for me, I think I like the Stelvio more.
 
... wow, ... Guzzi. 4D Rider Assistance radar imaging technology?



Wonder if I could savor a SoCal donut while ridin' one of these?
 
Thread starter
I really thought I'd end up with the new GS1300 but I somehow I like what I see in the Stelvio. I couldn't resist so it's ordered.

"Reservation Reference Number: #725

Stelvio (Giallo Savana)
GU3285270YCR02

QTY: 1"

I'm keeping the V85TT but need to sell something, probably the 2015 California.
 
wow...congrats. When did they say it would be in?

Seems the Stelvio and the V 85 are awfully similar to keep them both. I know trade the V85 in on a Mandello!
 
Thread starter
They said next month.

Indeed a V85TT and Stevio do overlap, but dual sports and adventure bikes are my favorite type. Also while they share similarities they are pretty different.

I haven't ridden a Mandello but I've sat on them and rolled one around the showroom. I like a lot about it but the seat is too low and the bars are as well. If I opt for the taller seat that'll just make the bars worse. The fenders don't offer much protection and the windshield seems low too. The tank is border line too small and I don't care for side load panniers. I made the decision then that there are too many compromises for one to my newest, most expensive, do everything, motorcycle. The Stelvio addresses most of my V100 Mandello concerns. I won't opt for the panniers, I hope someone comes out with top load aluminum ones but I can use throw over soft ones meanwhile.

Up for sale will be a 2015 California and 2021 Tenere 700.
 
Ollie_imp said:
I really thought I'd end up with the new GS1300 but I somehow I like what I see in the Stelvio. I couldn't resist so it's ordered.

"Reservation Reference Number: #725

Stelvio (Giallo Savana)
GU3285270YCR02

QTY: 1"

I'm keeping the V85TT but need to sell something, probably the 2015 California.
That, ... is stellar Ollie!

Whew! Congratulations.

It is indeed gorgeous, feature-loaded, and seemingly capable.

Love it!
 
Thread starter
Thank you GO!
We'll see how it works for me but given it's due in December means I won't be taking it out much for a while.

V100 Mandello owners seem to be happy with them. The few quips seem to be a few developed a coolant leak, some report notching shifting, a clunk going into 1st, and some with the standard suspension say it rides a bit harsh. We'll see if Guzzi has worked on some of those issues and the Stelvio's suspension is different with more travel. If it's as good as the V85TT I'll be satisfied.
 
Ollie_imp said:
Thank you GO!
We'll see how it works for me but given it's due in December means I won't be taking it out much for a while.

V100 Mandello owners seem to be happy with them. The few quips seem to be a few developed a coolant leak, some report notching shifting, a clunk going into 1st, and some with the standard suspension say it rides a bit harsh. We'll see if Guzzi has worked on some of those issues and the Stelvio's suspension is different with more travel. If it's as good as the V85TT I'll be satisfied.
First model year is always some "risk", but the Guzzi warranty is better than Honda in Canada.

I am surprised about the gearbox, but I suppose it is new to Guzzi. The V85TT [traditional] gearbox is just something special that is so addictive. Of course, the V85TT doesn't have coolant issues. Trade-offs, trade-offs. The 2024 Stelvio is another stunner looker by Guzzi. The company has really taken flight in the past years. The V85TT is their best seller, ever. The Stelvio work is well done.
 
Wow, that bike is pretty! Moto Guzzi is certainly hitting on all two cylinders lately with their new designs.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
Thank you GO!
We'll see how it works for me but given it's due in December means I won't be taking it out much for a while.

V100 Mandello owners seem to be happy with them. The few quips seem to be a few developed a coolant leak, some report notching shifting, a clunk going into 1st, and some with the standard suspension say it rides a bit harsh. We'll see if Guzzi has worked on some of those issues and the Stelvio's suspension is different with more travel. If it's as good as the V85TT I'll be satisfied.
First model year is always some "risk", but the Guzzi warranty is better than Honda in Canada.

I am surprised about the gearbox, but I suppose it is new to Guzzi. The V85TT [traditional] gearbox is just something special that is so addictive. Of course, the V85TT doesn't have coolant issues. Trade-offs, trade-offs. The 2024 Stelvio is another stunner looker by Guzzi. The company has really taken flight in the past years. The V85TT is their best seller, ever. The Stelvio work is well done.
True, I look at the 1300GS as a first year, all new motorcycle. The Stelvio as a second year V100 Mandello with some minor changes.

Yes the gearbox was all new last year but Guzzi have reworked it for the Stelvio and 2024 Mandellos. The gears are now back-cut, a damper was added to the clutch and the clutch was further revised as well.

I agree with you on the V85, its gearbox and clutch work beautifully! I've always preferred the way dry clutches work by completely disengaging and not dragging. Too bad they had to go with a wet clutch on V100's.
 
My opinion only: the V85TT is the best looking ADV bike currently on the road. I like the 85 front end look better than the Stelvios.

I’m actually surprised that without Paniers the Stelvio comes in at the same wet weight as the Harley Pan America.

Having both Harley and Moto Guzzis in my garage I would have to take a REALLY hard look at the Pan America before I dropped somewhere around $17K for the Guzzi. I’m expecting to see a fair amount of V85TTs for sale shortly. I might just be compelled to buy one with low miles that was well taken care of. If it wore the McDonalds color scheme that would be a bonus.
 
Thread starter
If I were interested in a Pan America I'd shop the used market because there are a lot of low mileage ones out there.
 
Ollie_imp said:
If I were interested in a Pan America I'd shop the used market because there are a lot of low mileage ones out there.
I would avoided the first 18 month release ones, 2021 and into 2022. Our local dealer was having heart failure with the amount of customer issues he was getting. You can't put the HD supplied Quick-shifter on the '21 model either if that's your thing.

Personally I absolutely love the Pan America, the engine is a riot. I am assuming they have got most of the launch issues sorted now, hope so.
 
Tev, you always provide reliable updates on variety of moto topics and news.
Thanks for your contribution :worship:
 
Tev62_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
If I were interested in a Pan America I'd shop the used market because there are a lot of low mileage ones out there.
I would avoided the first 18 month release ones, 2021 and into 2022. Our local dealer was having heart failure with the amount of customer issues he was getting. You can't put the HD supplied Quick-shifter on the '21 model either if that's your thing.

Personally I absolutely love the Pan America, the engine is a riot. I am assuming they have got most of the launch issues sorted now, hope so.
It is interesting to see the success evolution of new releases.
 
Thread starter
I'm pretty familiar with Pan Am's. I looked closely at them when they came out and followed owners experiences on a Harley forum (I had a Harley then) and other sites. The bike makes a lot of power (also heat unfortunately) and no doubt is a good motorcycle, but as Tev mentioned it's been plagued with problems. Harley and the dealers have been working to correct one issue after another but many owners have thrown up their hands and just moved on. Certainly the 2023's have the latest updates and may well be solid.

I've not ridden one but just looking at and sitting on them there's some things I just don't care for such as the engine. I know "heck with what it looks like it's all about how it runs" but I just don't care of the looks and that's something, to me at least. Don't care for the (mini Road Glide) fairing or the windshield either. Ergo seem good though.

The local dealer experience, when I was just looking one over, was awful which I won't even go into here. I can't imagine how many potential buyers they ran off. I purchased 3 Harley's there in the past (2004, 2009, and 2015) but I will never return. There are certainly other HD dealers but that really soured me.

Quite honestly what pushed me to the Stelvio is the positive experience with the last two Guzzi's, and what I've seen and heard about the V100 Mandello. So finger's crossed....
 
Back
Top