2021 Guzzi V7 Special

peterbaron

Road warrior
Thread starter
070cf13b29a40ec001d674ab22707e1e.jpg


This bike comes with 2 y/unlimited kms and 1 y roadside assistance.
The additional, 3rd party - 4 y warranty can be bought for about C$1300, good price compared to Honda.

Today, I went to a Guzzi dealer to take a look and sit on it.

Expectation:
As an Italian bike, I was expecting a visual impression, perfect finish & detailing - better than my '14 STD and DLX

What I dislike:
* indoor viewing/not much room between bikes
* black forks, painted fenders - front and rear in two different colors, black color and ugly shape of the rear fender, kind of grayish/silverish gas tank paint and its "trapezoidal shape" when viewed from above while sitting. Silver, not chrome gas cap
* completely black engine, lacking some contrast elements like silver or chrome
* awkward/large foot pegs, clutch and brake levers
* cable, not hydraulic operated clutch
* visible and protruding O2 sensors
* lacking centre stand, can be bought OEM for C$200

What I like:
* 6 speed
* lighter than CB
* >21L/5.5 gal gas tank
* comfy seat
* drive shaft
* Moto Guzzi brand

accept:
* single front disc brake
* spoke wheels, tubs
* rectangular mirrors
* too modern, instead of classic turn signals
* tail light - barely accept its black housing and shape, needs mods

Biggest impression, what I think, what worries me and the bottom line:
The biggest impression and amazing surprise is how easy, nimble and gentle was moving and tilting this Guzzi on the showroom floor = simple peanut compared to our CB1000

There is no doubt, I still like this Guzzi. The 2022 model comes in Blue Formale.
My biggest worry is Guzzi's trouble free riding and dealer network.

In spring, I will go to a dealer again, look at the blue one and request a test ride....
I expect easier handling than our CB due to lower gravity and larger/longer?? handlebar.
If engine performance and the bike behaviour impresses me during test ride, I will make my final decision and may say goodbye to my white STD :-/, while keeping beloved DLX

https://www.motoguzzi.com/ca_EN/models/v7/v7-special-850-v-twin-4s-2021/
2021 Moto Guzzi V7

P.S. I know, I'm too used to CB :cool:

589c52495edaf569bdf63dc5b14ed9ab.jpg
 
I think Guzzi makes good looking bikes, particularly the new Mandello. I would never own one though, even though I have always had this desire to do so.

Having test ridden an Eldorado, a Breva 750, a V7 111 and a Griso, I can tell you first hand I am not Guzzi material.
 
Having owned two prior-generation V7’s, I can certainly appreciate the attraction to the new Special. I found both bikes to be an absolutely joy to ride, with plenty of performance and surprisingly good handling, but the suspension was not the best and the dealer experience was very disappointing and unsustainable. The suspension has been improved on the 2021 bikes. My CB1100 was a superior bike to those two V7’s but I did love those Guzzi’s.

b67ef718eae68a53219a405d70d4a0bd.jpg


0f10062dd4f36d7af1ace0b1a39440c8.jpg


The upcoming V100 Mandello is quite the seductress but it remains to be seen if I have the stomach to go down that rabbit hole again.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Having owned two prior-generation V7’s, I can certainly appreciate the attraction to the new Special. I found both bikes to be an absolutely joy to ride, with plenty of performance and surprisingly good handling, but the suspension was not the best and the dealer experience was very disappointing and unsustainable. The suspension has been improved on the 2021 bikes. My CB1100 was a superior bike to those two V7’s but I did love those Guzzi’s.

b67ef718eae68a53219a405d70d4a0bd.jpg


0f10062dd4f36d7af1ace0b1a39440c8.jpg


The upcoming V100 Mandello is quite the seductress but it remains to be seen if I have the stomach to go down that rabbit hole again.
Really good shot LR.

I always liked the flat light green and unpainted cylinder heads.
 
These are wonderful bikes, and I too am tempted by the new 850cc version of the V7 (esp the blue colour...). Other than accepting the lower amount of power that the V7 produces compare to the CB1100, you cannot go wrong with a Moto Guzzi V7.

If you have a Piaggio dealer not too far from you, you are a lucky member of a very small group of people, esp in North America. I own a MG Griso for 7 years now, and my nearest Piaggio dealer is located in Vancouver, 9 hrs away. It forced me to do all regular maintenance myself, and thereby finding out that it is not so difficult after all. Strangely enough, I have had no problem getting spare parts sent to me in 2 or 3 weeks from excellent suppliers in US and Europe. I have never had to wait longer than that (which I cannot say about my Honda parts...).
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for additional info and opinions, and I am happy to hear the good news!

Just got an email from a dealer principal with some more info about '22 V7 blue.
Asa they get a blue one, they will let me know....
As test ride is concern, it might be a bit complicated as their insurance provider has restricted them in the past, so they will check in with them again as their renewal is coming up soon... but I am very sure, I will get my test ride prior purchasing.
Also, she provided two accessory links

https://www.af1racing.com/V7-Stone-V7-Special-Racks-Storage
https://www.motoguzzi.com/en_EN/accessories/

Within a radius of 60 kms, I have at least few dealers.
Also started reading some Guzzi forums.
Stay tuned....
 
Yes, AF1 is one of the better Guzzi-parts suppliers in the US. There are several others, in the US and in Europe, for new and second-hand parts. If you are interested I can send you a long name/link-list of parts-providers but I am sure you did your web-searching.

Let's hope this winter is ending soon!!
 
Corsa Meccanica in Vaughan, Ontario used to allow demo rides to serious shoppers. Not sure if the founder is still there, but it worth a try. He'll know if you are serious or not before you will. They have been around long enough and are pretty hip.
 
Guzzi's have a reputation of needing things sorted the first year or two, then last forever. Today I think the sorting bit is not nearly as common as it used to be. Alas; with all the new electronics, lasting forever may be iffy (mainly, sourcing electrical parts after a couple decades).

I'm hearing that parts are hard to get now (just like one bit for my CB1100!). A buddy has been waiting a VERY long time for a formed rubber hose for his Griso. The pandemic gets most of the blame.

I never found a lack of a dealer that big a deal (I one in Tucson that I had to use for a couple problems - one related to an accident, one for a "recall" ). Warranty work would be the biggest problem. Standard maintenance - not so much. Very easy to work on once you learn a few things (easy learning curve in my opinion).

I've owned two and between Guzzi's right now - but frankly I' not sure I'll get one again. I'd lean towards a Royal Enfield at this point - with no desire to sell the CB.
 
Thread starter
@Rboe - thanks

@Bioman, if you could provide a few links for new accessories, mostly rear and side racks, side panniers and engine crash bars.
Also, there is a lot of shop manual downloads but not a service manual/book :-/
Do you know if these spoke wheels are tubeless tire compatible , like our '17 CB?
Dealer could not answer that question.

Guzzi seems to have much better access to literature than Honda does??
 
Come spring I'd be surprised if they don't have a test ride event at a dealer near you. I went to one in my area last season at Blackman's in Emaus, PA and rode the V7. I absolutely loved it. The guy leading the ride wasn't poking around either, we were booking on some nice country roads and that bike was a joy to ride.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Come spring I'd be surprised if they don't have a test ride event at a dealer near you. I went to one in my area last season at Blackman's in Emaus, PA and rode the V7. I absolutely loved it. The guy leading the ride wasn't poking around either, we were booking on some nice country roads and that bike was a joy to ride.
(+1) Totally agree.

In Vaughan, ON go to Corsa Mec and be really friendly to them.
 
Thread starter
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Come spring I'd be surprised if they don't have a test ride event at a dealer near you. I went to one in my area last season at Blackman's in Emaus, PA and rode the V7. I absolutely loved it. The guy leading the ride wasn't poking around either, we were booking on some nice country roads and that bike was a joy to ride.
Heh, heh...it has never happened in my moto life to test ride a motorcycle before buying*...I just have an internal feeling/intuitions and sniffed out that it will be a good lump for me, and I have never been disappointed....identical story with both CBs*

* '13 CB was bought in January when -20*C/-4*F and snowing, '14 one was tested but it was just formality as I already had my '13...and with the red DLX, I was in such a hurry that I never check anything, including documents, VIN...etc, just relaying on forum member/Alain Lee opinion and talking/texting to the previous DLX owner.

I already know and accepted that V7 is a totally different animal then CB.
:biker:+:biker:

Spring, please come sooner this year :cool:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Come spring I'd be surprised if they don't have a test ride event at a dealer near you. I went to one in my area last season at Blackman's in Emaus, PA and rode the V7. I absolutely loved it. The guy leading the ride wasn't poking around either, we were booking on some nice country roads and that bike was a joy to ride.
Heh, heh...it has never happened in my moto life to test ride a motorcycle before buying*...I just have an internal feeling/intuitions and sniffed out that it will be a good lump for me, and I have never been disappointed....identical story with both CBs*

* '13 CB was bought in January when -20*C/-4*F and snowing, '14 one was tested but it was just formality as I already had my '13...and with the red DLX, I was in such a hurry that I never check anything, including documents, VIN...etc, just relaying on forum member/Alain Lee opinion and talking/texting to the previous DLX owner.

I already know and accepted that V7 is a totally different animal then CB.
:biker:+:biker:

Spring, please come sooner this year :cool:
You'll definitely want to test ride a V7 before putting down the stash.

Booking opportunities should be good right now. Roads are dry and nobody is riding with -30C windchill PB. You should have the V7 for one to two hours all to yourself.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Come spring I'd be surprised if they don't have a test ride event at a dealer near you. I went to one in my area last season at Blackman's in Emaus, PA and rode the V7. I absolutely loved it. The guy leading the ride wasn't poking around either, we were booking on some nice country roads and that bike was a joy to ride.
Heh, heh...it has never happened in my moto life to test ride a motorcycle before buying*...I just have an internal feeling/intuitions and sniffed out that it will be a good lump for me, and I have never been disappointed....identical story with both CBs*

* '13 CB was bought in January when -20*C/-4*F and snowing, '14 one was tested but it was just formality as I already had my '13...and with the red DLX, I was in such a hurry that I never check anything, including documents, VIN...etc, just relaying on forum member/Alain Lee opinion and talking/texting to the previous DLX owner.

I already know and accepted that V7 is a totally different animal then CB.
:biker:+:biker:

Spring, please come sooner this year :cool:
You'll definitely want to test ride a V7 before putting down the stash.

Booking opportunities should be good right now. Roads are dry and nobody is riding with -30C windchill PB. You should have the V7 for one to two hours all to yourself.

This is good thinking GO...Wednesday will be around 0*C

Tomorrow, I may go to a different dealer, as I want to check out tubeless spoked wheels and different color forks...if these fit V7 Special from a different Guzzi model????... and how much :@
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Come spring I'd be surprised if they don't have a test ride event at a dealer near you. I went to one in my area last season at Blackman's in Emaus, PA and rode the V7. I absolutely loved it. The guy leading the ride wasn't poking around either, we were booking on some nice country roads and that bike was a joy to ride.
Heh, heh...it has never happened in my moto life to test ride a motorcycle before buying*...I just have an internal feeling/intuitions and sniffed out that it will be a good lump for me, and I have never been disappointed....identical story with both CBs*

* '13 CB was bought in January when -20*C/-4*F and snowing, '14 one was tested but it was just formality as I already had my '13...and with the red DLX, I was in such a hurry that I never check anything, including documents, VIN...etc, just relaying on forum member/Alain Lee opinion and talking/texting to the previous DLX owner.

I already know and accepted that V7 is a totally different animal then CB.
:biker:+:biker:

Spring, please come sooner this year :cool:
You'll definitely want to test ride a V7 before putting down the stash.

Booking opportunities should be good right now. Roads are dry and nobody is riding with -30C windchill PB. You should have the V7 for one to two hours all to yourself.

This is good thinking GO...Wednesday will be around 0*C

Tomorrow, I may go to a different dealer, as I want to check out tubeless spoked wheels and different color forks...if these fit V7 Special from a different Guzzi model????... and how much :@

That would be a very cool excursion.

Ensure to check back in with the CB1100 Forum with a full report on what's happening with the 2022 Moto Guzzi V7*. Itchin' folks may wish to know.


Warning: Don't look at other Guzzis while there.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Come spring I'd be surprised if they don't have a test ride event at a dealer near you. I went to one in my area last season at Blackman's in Emaus, PA and rode the V7. I absolutely loved it. The guy leading the ride wasn't poking around either, we were booking on some nice country roads and that bike was a joy to ride.
Heh, heh...it has never happened in my moto life to test ride a motorcycle before buying*...I just have an internal feeling/intuitions and sniffed out that it will be a good lump for me, and I have never been disappointed....identical story with both CBs*

* '13 CB was bought in January when -20*C/-4*F and snowing, '14 one was tested but it was just formality as I already had my '13...and with the red DLX, I was in such a hurry that I never check anything, including documents, VIN...etc, just relaying on forum member/Alain Lee opinion and talking/texting to the previous DLX owner.

I already know and accepted that V7 is a totally different animal then CB.
:biker:+:biker:

Spring, please come sooner this year :cool:
You'll definitely want to test ride a V7 before putting down the stash.

Booking opportunities should be good right now. Roads are dry and nobody is riding with -30C windchill PB. You should have the V7 for one to two hours all to yourself.

This is good thinking GO...Wednesday will be around 0*C

Tomorrow, I may go to a different dealer, as I want to check out tubeless spoked wheels and different color forks...if these fit V7 Special from a different Guzzi model????... and how much :@

That would be a very cool excursion.

Ensure to check back in with the CB1100 Forum with a full report on what's happening with the 2022 Moto Guzzi V7*. Itchin' folks may wish to know.


Warning: Don't look at other Guzzis while there.

That would be a very cool excursion.

Ensure to check back in with the CB1100 Forum with a full report on what's happening with the 2022 Moto Guzzi V7*. Itchin' folks may wish to know.


Warning: Don't look at other Guzzis while there.
Yesterday, I sent a request to Guzzi Canada about the blue, 2022 V7 Special arrival...no words yet..
 
Back
Top