2020 Poll - forum member age

In August, I'll be 33 per leg...lol...what a great age with a young soul, heart & spirit!

Thanks to Gumby1100, I became our Forum member in January 2016, previously joining UK CB1100 for a short while.
My dream bikes were:Y-RD, K-KH, S-Kettle, H-GW & CBX ++ and the late 70's CB550, which was owned by a friend of mine with 4 in 4 exhaust ( possible Wyvern?)
Started riding at the age of 14 and my last European ride dates April 1981 ......

After emigration, made a few attempts of buying a bike in Canada, that includes a new 550/750 GPZ and used, red CBX with 10K miles...
Most likely would never have another bike if the CB1100 was not rejuvenated, did not even have my Canadian M.
When discovered that the CB1100 was introduced to Canada in 2013, I rushed to a local Honda dealer full of hope to get one right away...and was told all 7 were already pre-sold.
The search for the CB1100 just began, and in January 2014, I located a white, '13 demo with almost 5K kms at a Honda dealer, 70 kms away from where I live. A quick call was made to secure it and by the end of January '14, she was already in my garage.

After a 33-year hiatus, I quickly made my M1/M2 and M lisence.
Rode my '13 model for 50K kms and in spring 2017 she was replaced with a '14 model of 17K kms, which presently has almost 38K kms. No mods, OEM with few accessories: w/shield, bigger tank, chrome engine guards and luggage.
Most likely it will be my last bike due to covid 19 which screwed up buying another bike, a pristine GL1000....

Thanks Guth and others for having/running this Forum.
 
Hi all, have had my 2013 cb 1100 for three years now, lovely bike.My other ride is a suzuki gsr 600 bought new in 2008,at this point in time i am planning to change the suzuki for honda rebel 500. A big thank you to all you guys that keep this great forum going.
 
I've owned my '17 ex for just over 2 years and have just under 9k miles on it, so about 4500 per year, and then I've owned my 07 KLR650 since Aug of 08, and have 46k miles on it...took some long trips on it, but only about 2500 per year of late, so about 7k miles per year 'tween the 2 bikes.
 
I'm 44, and I've had my 2013 CB1100 since 3rd Feb 2020. It's now coming up to 7,800 miles.
Not ridden it a great deal due to coming off the back of winter and now the Covid-19 situation with lockdown in force.
Looking forward to some social riding miles.

It's a great bike. Smooth, easy to ride, gutsy but not stupidly fast or difficult to handle.
Seems pretty easy to maintain and has excellent build quality.
I think it looks great in a modern retro way too.
I have some subtle plans for it in the coming months ahead.
Its now my only motorcycle.
 
I'm fifty eight and three-quarters. My 2019 EX is my show pony bike, alongside my 1250GS. The GS has about 10k miles after 9 months of ownership - although these days it is not being used due to Covid.
 
I got my CB January of 2014 and still consider it my all time favorite bike. I'll turn 72 this Sunday and I'm feeling better now than I have in a while but have not ridden much as too many other things to do.
 
Well so far 83.82% are eligible to belong to AARP and 55.88% are old enough to collect Social Security lol
 
2dad3c36298c323e10f70d6313517a35.jpg


I’ll be 65 in June and have been coming in and out of here (mostly out the last few years) since April 2013. I have these 4 bikes and ride the red one most often. However I do expect to have more time beginning later this year so the blue one might actually get used a bit more. I bought my orig 2013 CB with the help of some of the guys on this forum and then promptly traded it in as soon as the 2014’s were announced, buying it sight unseen (other than photos). It was either Ferret or myself who had the first 2014 in the group, not sure which. I’ve very much enjoyed this forum over the years... I met our illustrious founder on a trip to Oregon a few years ago, put up two wondering souls from Australia a few summers back, had an extremely hard time keeping up with The Ferret on a few rides at the first rally, and also had my CB ‘modified’ by a few of the same guys at that rally. Yes, the thingys are still there. Good group of people here... the only forum I even look at any more.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
redbirds_imp said:
I got my CB January of 2014 and still consider it my all time favorite bike. I'll turn 72 this Sunday and I'm feeling better now than I have in a while but have not ridden much as too many other things to do.
Happy Early birthday this weekend!! :beerchug:
 
I am still 69! I won’t be 70 until 9 more days.

Except for about 2 years while a college student,I owned Honda motorcycles since 1966. I bought my current CB77 during 1974. After raising my family, I had no interest in buying modern style motorcycles. I thought my CB77 would be my last motorcycle.
Well that suddenly changed when I saw an used 2013 CB1100 at a local Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki dealer. It was love at first sight. The salesman there was terrible and left me standing at the bike when I was asking him questions. There was scratches in the engine case, side cover, mirror, etc, on that bike.
When I got home, I approached my wife and provided her many reasons why it is important for me to buy a CB1100. Well, I actually begged. The next day I ordered a new 2014 Standard at my local Honda dealer. When I looked for CB1100 pictures online to show her, I discovered this great forum and joined. That was November 2016.
 
suhawk305_imp said:
I am still 69! I won’t be 70 until 9 more days.

Except for about 2 years while a college student,I owned Honda motorcycles since 1966. I bought my current CB77 during 1974. After raising my family, I had no interest in buying modern style motorcycles. I thought my CB77 would be my last motorcycle.
Well that suddenly changed when I saw an used 2013 CB1100 at a local Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki dealer. It was love at first sight. The salesman there was terrible and left me standing at the bike when I was asking him questions. There was scratches in the engine case, side cover, mirror, etc, on that bike.
When I got home, I approached my wife and provided her many reasons why it is important for me to buy a CB1100. Well, I actually begged. The next day I ordered a new 2014 Standard at my local Honda dealer. When I looked for CB1100 pictures online to show her, I discovered this great forum and joined. That was November 2016.
That's a good story. :biker:
 
73
Although an eye issue caused me tp part with my final M/C Sep 2018.
Glad the CB1100 was the icing on the cake!
If I had not promised no more M/C to my wife, a new Kawasaki W800 would be tempting.
But I am not complaining about 17 bikes in 55 years.

pdedse: I sent you a PM type email through the forum, a few weeks ago, asking why you kept your Triumph Street Twin only a short time...was it radiator fan blowing hot air on your feet?
 
suhawk305_imp said:
I am still 69! I won’t be 70 until 9 more days.

Except for about 2 years while a college student,I owned Honda motorcycles since 1966. I bought my current CB77 during 1974. After raising my family, I had no interest in buying modern style motorcycles. I thought my CB77 would be my last motorcycle.
Well that suddenly changed when I saw an used 2013 CB1100 at a local Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki dealer. It was love at first sight. The salesman there was terrible and left me standing at the bike when I was asking him questions. There was scratches in the engine case, side cover, mirror, etc, on that bike.
When I got home, I approached my wife and provided her many reasons why it is important for me to buy a CB1100. Well, I actually begged. The next day I ordered a new 2014 Standard at my local Honda dealer. When I looked for CB1100 pictures online to show her, I discovered this great forum and joined. That was November 2016.
Wow, I had forgotten how much older you are than me. :rofl:
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
73
Although an eye issue caused me tp part with my final M/C Sep 2018.
Glad the CB1100 was the icing on the cake!
If I had not promised no more M/C to my wife, a new Kawasaki W800 would be tempting.
But I am not complaining about 17 bikes in 55 years.

pdedse: I sent you a PM type email through the forum, a few weeks ago, asking why you kept your Triumph Street Twin only a short time...was it radiator fan blowing hot air on your feet?
Hmmm...that sounds familiar, but I checked incoming / outgoing pm and I don't see anything. I'm kinda of thinking we had this exchange in one of the threads, but I can't recall for sure.

I think Triumph did a nice job with the long rectangular radiators they use for the Street Twin and others; but no, it wasn't that "radiator fan" : )

I had a CB1100 '14 standard, traded it in for the Street Twin, but after 2 months with it, I realized it just wasn't the right bike for me--too light, and even smaller than the CB, meaning that I was even more hunched over on the Triumph. But the ST was a cool looking, sweet sounding, great handling bike. But I like to do trips and out on the hiways, winds just blew me around a bit much to my liking.

So I sold the Triumph and went back to the Cb1100, a '17ex. A strange motorcycle phase for me.
 
Thread starter
Lots of great stories contained within this thread so far and I've appreciated them all. An extra tip of the cap to ORZ, decarmine, Redbird, and Rocky for holding down the extreme ends of this forum. I'll turn 58 in just a few days so it will be a while before I find myself in the next age group.

The ferret_imp said:
Well so far 83.82% are eligible to belong to AARP and 55.88% are old enough to collect Social Security lol
Yeah, it's an especially tough gig when you have to be over 76 (or under 26) to receive special recognition, lol. Yet I doubt that the age distribution comes as a surprise to most here. Beyond it's civility, I personally believe that one of the reasons this forum stands out amongst so many others in existence despite it's small size, is the amount of knowledge and wisdom to be found here.

That knowledge comes from the shared passion for motorcycling and for motorcycles themselves. But even more noteworthy is the wisdom gained through the combined seat-time of our active members here. From my point of view, knowledge can be gained more quickly if one has the time to dedicate to learning. But wisdom can only be earned the old-fashioned way, by living life.

I'll add one more note of special thanks to those of you who have decided to hang up the boots for whatever the reason, yet have decided to hang around here just the same. You all had plenty of wisdom and knowledge to share with myself and the others when you joined here and that hasn't changed. So know that as someone who hopes to never stop learning, I definitely appreciate your continued presence here. I know that I'm not the only one.
 
My first post in the forum was in October 20, 2015, the day I bought my pre-owned 2014. It is true that you meet the nicest people on a Honda. I've made really good friends here. I'll be 55 next month.

:bacon: is life
 
I joined in 2015 as I was researching options in 4-cylinder touring motorcycles, after making a few long-distance excursions on CBF600SA. That was at the time the lightest 4-cyl bike sold by any make in Canada. Was looking for something similar with just a bit more power and stabilty in heavy traffic on straghts, yet pleasure on twisties. It took two years to actually get my CB1100.

Just a year ago I was rear-ended while stopped at the light on that cbf600sa mentioned above. (My fault really, as I try not to ruffle the feathers of the natives around me by urban lane-splitting and pulling to the front of the line on red. :) The bike was totaled, I had a scratched knee and a bit of a pain in my shoulder, pulled by trying to keep the bike already at 45degrees from dropping flat. (Don't do it at home kids. Let the bike drop, it is only cheap plactic and metal, your bones and joints are worth more!) After an incredible hasle with the guilty party's liability insurer (TD Insurance - fellow Canadian riders, stay away from them!) I am now looking for a replacement, some lighter, around-the-town-and-up-and-down-the-ravine bike, and am, amog other, considering an RE Himalayan.

Half a year or so I ride on the other side of the Pond on whatever an old friend or two will loan me for a day or a week. Right now am waiting for flights across to reopen after the epidemic.

P.S. we need an 80+ age slot above the current top one. When I get there (in couple of years), I expect free life-time membership of this forum!
Rotor
 
Rotor, I may have missed it, but I don’t think you told us you’d been rear ended. I’m very sorry to hear and that your bike was totaled. I’m relieved to hear you’re OK.
 
57.....Just got my licence too as I think Im sensible enough now not to kill myself on a motorcycle...lol:biker:
 
Back
Top