2019 Motorcycle Show - Cleveland

Tebs_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hello all,

Although I had a fun time hanging with my family and friends I was disappointed that Honda did not bring the CB1100 to the 2019 show.("We only have 1 truck this year and the CB1100 was omitted" said one Honda representative. My tongue in cheek reply was "good to see you your brought the NC750X". PSH!)

In addition, neither Ducati nor BMW thought it important enough to show up either.

Stay home and watch Youtube instead folks.
 
At least you have a show. Denver is a huge regional motorcycling market and used to be an annual stop for the Progressive International Motorcycle Show. About 12 years ago, Denver was removed from the venue listing. The nearest show is now in Chicago or Long Beach, CA.

I attended the Paris Motor Show this past October and Honda had a huge exhibit in the motorcycle-only exhibit hall (next to three even larger halls dedicated to cars and technology). The CB was there, as were the Monkey and Super Cub, neither of which were available in the U.S. at the time. The most highly-attended exhibit, by a huge margin, was Harley-Davidson. I guess the Europeans are fascinated by Harleys! Oddly, BMW was absent there too, claiming they'd be at another show in Frankfurt the following week.

bc0d263be6a258c7f1a9bf34de819d12.jpg
 
yea it's kind of sad. Participation by mfgs and vendors has been on the decline at these shows for years now.
 
Probably the real reason why there were no Honda CB1100s at the show because America Honda has none left in their stock to order (according to my Honda Motorsports Dealer). To the best of my knowledge, Honda is not bringing a 2019 model to the US so any available new CB1100s is in dealers stock.
 
I was told 2019 that Honda makes show representatives pay for their Honda shirts, which are about $175 Cdn each. Cutbacks are appearing everywhere it seems.
 
Went to the show on Friday with three buddies. We drove up from Kentucky and stopped at Iron Pony Motorsports in Columbus on the way. I probably haven't been in there for ten years and it has grown from a riding apparel store into a multi-brand motorcycle dealership. I've been wanting to throw a leg over a Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster since it was introduced and I got my chance...that might have been a mistake because the thing fit me like a glove. Extremely comfortable and one of the few bikes I've ever been able to flat-foot. And it's a beautiful bike.









At the show I was intrigued by a bike from [url=http://www.genuinescooters.com/g400c.html]Genuine Motorcycles called a G400C. It's an air-cooled twin cylinder and had a cryptic sign in front of it. There was a red standard and a black scrambler version.










I saw the Kawasaki W800 CAFE in person. I found the coloring and striping to be a bit uncoordinated.





I saw the 2019 Honda Super Cub in person for the first time. What neat little motorcycle. There was a wholesome, pretty young brunette sitting on it when I stopped by. She was with her boyfriend and it looked like they had serious interest in buying one. I'm curious about its top speed.



Triumph had a Thruxton R TFC on display:



No photo, but did see the Yamaha Niken leaning 3-wheeler. The engineering is brilliant but in person the front end looks enormous and ungainly. I'm not against the concept or the attempt. Maybe someday the designers will figure out how to make it look cool.
 
I thnk GC is based in Cleveland?

I'll be going to Iron Pony in the near future. It's better than a motorcycle show, you get to see more and with cash or a credit card you can take stuff home with you.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I thnk GC is based in Cleveland?

I'll be going to Iron Pony in the near future. It's better than a motorcycle show, you get to see more and with cash or a credit card you can take stuff home with you.
Very true! We could have spent more time in Iron Pony and there's no $18 admission fee. The show was smaller than any of us expected...somewhat anticlimactic. Plus $10 for a 20-oz beer was insane.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I thnk GC is based in Cleveland?

I'll be going to Iron Pony in the near future. It's better than a motorcycle show, you get to see more and with cash or a credit card you can take stuff home with you.
According to their website they are in Chicago. I also noticed the skyscraper in the video and the crate in this unboxing video:


 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I didn't realize GC were imported from China. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
I think he misspoke. They are made in Taiwan. Apparently the bike is more-or-less a clone of a Honda CB400SS. I'm not sure to what degree (if any) Honda was involved, i.e. did they license the design of the engine, etc.

Edit: This article reveals that the bike is in fact made in China by Sineray, who previously manufactured the CB400SS for Honda.

Speaking of the engine, apparently it's a single-cylinder with two exhaust valves / ports which is why it looks like a parallel twin.



Interesting review of the working prototype from [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/exclusive-first-ride-genuine-g400c-motorcycle/]scooterfile.com.
 
topspeed of the super cup : max like the monkey

i sat last week on it at my dealer...well the monkey is much time confi.....smile.....and the gearlever i think is nothing for big shoes...
 
Stichill_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I didn't realize GC were imported from China. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
I think he misspoke. They are made in Taiwan. Apparently the bike is more-or-less a clone of a Honda CB400SS. I'm not sure to what degree (if any) Honda was involved, i.e. did they license the design of the engine, etc.

Edit: This article reveals that the bike is in fact made in China by Sineray, who previously manufactured the CB400SS for Honda.

Speaking of the engine, apparently it's a single-cylinder with two exhaust valves / ports which is why it looks like a parallel twin.



Interesting review of the working prototype from [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/exclusive-first-ride-genuine-g400c-motorcycle/]scooterfile.com.

I think he misspoke. They are made in Taiwan. Apparently the bike is more-or-less a clone of a Honda CB400SS. I'm not sure to what degree (if any) Honda was involved, i.e. did they license the design of the engine, etc.

Edit: [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/genuine-g400c-motorcycle-in-detail/]This article reveals that the bike is in fact made in China by Sineray, who previously manufactured the CB400SS for Honda.

Speaking of the engine, apparently it's a single-cylinder with two exhaust valves / ports which is why it looks like a parallel twin.



Interesting review of the working prototype from [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/exclusive-first-ride-genuine-g400c-motorcycle/]scooterfile.com.
Nice ground work Stichill. Based on previous readings, the bike appears to hold some level of quality and/or curiosity and enthusiasm. I suspect equivalent class Japanese return/retro models are concerned over competitive pricing.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I didn't realize GC were imported from China. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
I think he misspoke. They are made in Taiwan. Apparently the bike is more-or-less a clone of a Honda CB400SS. I'm not sure to what degree (if any) Honda was involved, i.e. did they license the design of the engine, etc.

Edit: This article reveals that the bike is in fact made in China by Sineray, who previously manufactured the CB400SS for Honda.

Speaking of the engine, apparently it's a single-cylinder with two exhaust valves / ports which is why it looks like a parallel twin.



Interesting review of the working prototype from [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/exclusive-first-ride-genuine-g400c-motorcycle/]scooterfile.com.

I think he misspoke. They are made in Taiwan. Apparently the bike is more-or-less a clone of a Honda CB400SS. I'm not sure to what degree (if any) Honda was involved, i.e. did they license the design of the engine, etc.

Edit: [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/genuine-g400c-motorcycle-in-detail/]This article reveals that the bike is in fact made in China by Sineray, who previously manufactured the CB400SS for Honda.

Speaking of the engine, apparently it's a single-cylinder with two exhaust valves / ports which is why it looks like a parallel twin.



Interesting review of the working prototype from [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/exclusive-first-ride-genuine-g400c-motorcycle/]scooterfile.com.
Nice ground work Stichill. Based on previous readings, the bike appears to hold some level of quality and/or curiosity and enthusiasm. I suspect equivalent class Japanese return/retro models are concerned over competitive pricing.

Thanks, GO. I would agree that this bike sets a floor on quality and a ceiling on price for cycles in this class. I had never heard of this bike before this weekend. It piqued my interest at the IMS Cleveland because it was placed amongst the vintage bikes. Although it looked vintage, upon closer inspection it was evidently new and seemed to be well-made with quality fit and finish. I enjoy lightweight bikes and I appreciate the classic looks, so I would really like to take one out for a spin.

I think the Taiwan confusion stems from the ignition and electronics coming from Taiwan whereas the bike is primarily made and assembled in China. Interestingly, the FI is Siemens. [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/genuine-g400c-motorcycle-in-detail/]More details about the bike.
 
Stichill_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I didn't realize GC were imported from China. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
I think he misspoke. They are made in Taiwan. Apparently the bike is more-or-less a clone of a Honda CB400SS. I'm not sure to what degree (if any) Honda was involved, i.e. did they license the design of the engine, etc.

Edit: This article reveals that the bike is in fact made in China by Sineray, who previously manufactured the CB400SS for Honda.

Speaking of the engine, apparently it's a single-cylinder with two exhaust valves / ports which is why it looks like a parallel twin.



Interesting review of the working prototype from [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/exclusive-first-ride-genuine-g400c-motorcycle/]scooterfile.com.

I think he misspoke. They are made in Taiwan. Apparently the bike is more-or-less a clone of a Honda CB400SS. I'm not sure to what degree (if any) Honda was involved, i.e. did they license the design of the engine, etc.

Edit: [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/genuine-g400c-motorcycle-in-detail/]This article reveals that the bike is in fact made in China by Sineray, who previously manufactured the CB400SS for Honda.

Speaking of the engine, apparently it's a single-cylinder with two exhaust valves / ports which is why it looks like a parallel twin.



Interesting review of the working prototype from [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/exclusive-first-ride-genuine-g400c-motorcycle/]scooterfile.com.
Nice ground work Stichill. Based on previous readings, the bike appears to hold some level of quality and/or curiosity and enthusiasm. I suspect equivalent class Japanese return/retro models are concerned over competitive pricing.

Thanks, GO. I would agree that this bike sets a floor on quality and a ceiling on price for cycles in this class. I had never heard of this bike before this weekend. It piqued my interest at the IMS Cleveland because it was placed amongst the vintage bikes. Although it looked vintage, upon closer inspection it was evidently new and seemed to be well-made with quality fit and finish. I enjoy lightweight bikes and I appreciate the classic looks, so I would really like to take one out for a spin.

I think the Taiwan confusion stems from the ignition and electronics coming from Taiwan whereas the bike is primarily made and assembled in China. Interestingly, the FI is Siemens. [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/genuine-g400c-motorcycle-in-detail/]More details about the bike.

Thanks, GO. I would agree that this bike sets a floor on quality and a ceiling on price for cycles in this class. I had never heard of this bike before this weekend. It piqued my interest at the IMS Cleveland because it was placed amongst the vintage bikes. Although it looked vintage, upon closer inspection it was evidently new and seemed to be well-made with quality fit and finish. I enjoy lightweight bikes and I appreciate the classic looks, so I would really like to take one out for a spin.

I think the Taiwan confusion stems from the ignition and electronics coming from Taiwan whereas the bike is primarily made and assembled in China. Interestingly, the FI is Siemens. [url=http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/genuine-g400c-motorcycle-in-detail/]More details about the bike.
Not a problem (RE Taiwan). I read the full article and other references within the article. I agree - there is something fun about this "organic" model. I don't think they are available in Canada (yet?), however, Cleveland/Detroit is a fun round day trip (or overnight, if lazy) from north shore Lake Ontario. Buffalo/Rochester is even closer. If you happen to be lucky to sample a ride, please feel free to share with the Forum. I would be interested.

The writer was 6'3" and indicated the [pre-production] bike was actually practical to ride. This is encouraging.

BTW: I checked out oil changes for this engine (I understand the history of the engine design). It is a dry sump, and it has many more steps than the CB. This is by no means a show stopper, just some really old-school maintenance that requires a bit more time.
 
Back
Top