2019 Kawasaki Z900 ABS

VLJ_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
So, my 2017 CB1100 EX has a new garage mate. I just traded in my 2016 Yamaha XSR900 for this thing...

cee3a2b324b16c4b34867907fc7ba511.jpg


aefb157a205dfa33ec72ea4fc43b0e61.jpg


46fef62f4abb75b886cbf1db50ad4459.jpg


dd42dd614ee135ad1e782e6f9171bff7.jpg


799721ec633c1c9b1c3fab83731701a7.jpg


(That last picture is just a generic shot of the 'Z'-shaped tail light. I don't have a fender eliminator kit on mine.)

Very Jekyll and Hyde bike, this Z900 ABS. Puttering around town, keeping it below 5K RPM, she's not only smoother than the XSR, she's smoother than the CB1100. Similar to the CB, however, albeit at a higher RPM, the Z then becomes a bit buzzy in her upper midrange. In fact, she becomes buzzier than either the CB or the Yamaha once she's in the 5,500-8K RPM range. Again similar to the CB, once she clears her buzzy patch in the midrange, she smooths right out again.

I've only managed an initial two hundred and fifty miles on her so far, with one Mosquito Ridge rip, but I haven't redlined her yet. I've zipped her up to about 9K, very briefly. I'm trying to do a decent break-in procedure, mainly avoiding freeway droning.

The overriding impression so far is one of polished refinement. Surprisingly so, really, as Kawi was never known for Honda-like attention to detail, but everything I'd read about this bike mentioned how smooth and refined it is, and those people were correct. All its systems are very Honda-like in their operation; much more so than the rawer Yamaha.

I prefer that type of refinement. I like for the clutch engagement, fuel delivery, and throttle response to be basically invisible, as they are on the big CB1100, and this little Kawi manages it quite convincingly.

Another similarity between the Z900 and most Hondas I've owned and ridden is that this Kawi hides its weight very well. Although it's a good forty pounds heavier than the Yamaha, one would never know it from the saddle. It turns more quickly and easily, and the handling is lighter everywhere. Part of this is due to the much lower seat height and sportier bars. The handling is significantly sportier, yet also much more user-friendly at parking-lot speeds. That's one area where the Z really outshines the Yamaha, along with its plusher suspension. The Kawi is much more confidence-inspiring, and much happier simply putzing around at city speeds. She doesn't seem angry and impatient when forced to go stoplight to stoplight at slow speeds. She seems perfectly content to be used as a city commuter.

Very CB-like, that.

She's just a bit different from the CB, however, once you grab some throttle...or stick her in front of a mirror.

:P
 
Sounds like a winner in every way. I've had several Kawasakis over the years and all have been satisfying rides. Great purchase, enjoy.
 
VLJ_imp said:
So, my 2017 CB1100 EX has a new garage mate. I just traded in my 2016 Yamaha XSR900 for this thing...

cee3a2b324b16c4b34867907fc7ba511.jpg


aefb157a205dfa33ec72ea4fc43b0e61.jpg


46fef62f4abb75b886cbf1db50ad4459.jpg


dd42dd614ee135ad1e782e6f9171bff7.jpg


799721ec633c1c9b1c3fab83731701a7.jpg


(That last picture is just a generic shot of the 'Z'-shaped tail light. I don't have a fender eliminator kit on mine.)

Very Jekyll and Hyde bike, this Z900 ABS. Puttering around town, keeping it below 5K RPM, she's not only smoother than the XSR, she's smoother than the CB1100. Similar to the CB, however, albeit at a higher RPM, the Z then becomes a bit buzzy in her upper midrange. In fact, she becomes buzzier than either the CB or the Yamaha once she's in the 5,500-8K RPM range. Again similar to the CB, once she clears her buzzy patch in the midrange, she smooths right out again.

I've only managed an initial two hundred and fifty miles on her so far, with one Mosquito Ridge rip, but I haven't redlined her yet. I've zipped her up to about 9K, very briefly. I'm trying to do a decent break-in procedure, mainly avoiding freeway droning.

The overriding impression so far is one of polished refinement. Surprisingly so, really, as Kawi was never known for Honda-like attention to detail, but everything I'd read about this bike mentioned how smooth and refined it is, and those people were correct. All its systems are very Honda-like in their operation; much more so than the rawer Yamaha.

I prefer that type of refinement. I like for the clutch engagement, fuel delivery, and throttle response to be basically invisible, as they are on the big CB1100, and this little Kawi manages it quite convincingly.

Another similarity between the Z900 and most Hondas I've owned and ridden is that this Kawi hides its weight very well. Although it's a good forty pounds heavier than the Yamaha, one would never know it from the saddle. It turns more quickly and easily, and the handling is lighter everywhere. Part of this is due to the much lower seat height and sportier bars. The handling is significantly sportier, yet also much more user-friendly at parking-lot speeds. That's one area where the Z really outshines the Yamaha, along with its plusher suspension. The Kawi is much more confidence-inspiring, and much happier simply putzing around at city speeds. She doesn't seem angry and impatient when forced to go stoplight to stoplight at slow speeds. She seems perfectly content to be used as a city commuter.

Very CB-like, that.

She's just a bit different from the CB, however, once you grab some throttle...or stick her in front of a mirror.

:P
No doubt you will squeeze a lot of motorycle joy out of your new ride, so congrats on that, although I am surprised that you traded in the xsr900!
 
Thread starter
Biggest good surprise: the mirrors. They stay crystal clear at any speed, unlike the Yamaha mirrors, which buzz up the moment I hit seventy mph. For being a liter-sized, fairly revvy, solid-mounted I4 bike, the Z's mirrors are very impressive.

Biggest good surprise, Part II: that lowbeam headlight works very well. It kills the Yamaha's. I hate the looks of the one-eye-on, one-eye-off thing, I always will, but I can't deny that it provides surprisingly effective illumination at night.

Biggest bad surprise: motor heat bakes my left shin. Hadn't heard or read any mention of this, and I didn't feel it at all with my boots on today, but when I rode it in the foothills last night in jeans and hiking boots, yep, my left shin was taking a lot of heat. Then again, come winter time, that won't be a bad thing.

Biggest bad surprise, Part II: the fuel mileage. According to my onboard trip computer, today's ride netted 41.6 mpg. Sure, the majority of the ride was ripping around up on Mosquito Ridge, but the XSR900 always netted 46 mpg up there, and everywhere else, for that matter, and I was taking it relatively easy up there today since I'm still doing the break-in miles.

Lived up to the hype: the killer growl of the intake. Rather than having a loud exhaust, this one has a nicely quiet exhaust that is more than made up for by the gorgeous, growling howl that emanates from beneath the tank once you give it some stick. As the rider, I get all the benefit, without annoying the neighbors or attracting the attention of the police. Good deal.

Lived up to the hype, Part II: the strength and speed of the motor. It's not in-your-face beastly, like the XSR, with its crazy RIGHT NOW punch off the bottom. Instead, it's just a straight-up missile. Sneaky fast, due to its linear smoothness. Effortless speed.

Lived up to the hype, Part III: the steel trellis chassis, and the user-friendly handling. Dirck over at motorcycledaily.com went on and on about the improvement in handling brought about by the switch to the steel trellis frame in the new Z650 and Z900. Over the years, I've found that he is usually a reliable source of opinion, and he was correct again on this one.

I've often said that the CB1100 EX is the first liter bike I might recommend for someone to use for their DMV riding test, because it's just that easy to ride, even at parking lot speeds. The Z900 is the sportbike equivalent. Anyone could hop on the thing and immediately feel uncannily confident, safe, and secure.

Otherwise, okay, the looks of the thing...

Obviously, the cat-in-heat tail section is just plain silly. No need for it. I would prefer a flatter tail section, but this is never going to be anything but a solo-rider, comfortable sportbike, so I don't really care. Ditto, the DMV-mandated tail light/license plate assembly. It looks stupid, but most stock sportbikes these days sport something similar. Ditch it for a Tail Tidy, if need be. Again, I just can't be bothered. I don't really care about that stuff.

I'm not a fan of the flat-black paint on the rear of the tank. I'm also not a fan of the two-piece design of the tank. Not only does it look meh, it seems to serve no real purpose, other than to limit the size of any magnetic tank bag I might want to use with it. I also dislike the looks of the brake calipers. They look cheap. Well, to be fair, they are cheap, but they work like crazy, so whatever.

That's my overall feeling regarding the looks of this bike. Meh. Whatever. It's not a horrible-looking bike, thanks to that beautiful green frame, but the tail section is stupid, and the overall theme is still a bit too Transformers for my liking. It's nowhere near as Transformers as some of Kawi's other recent offerings, or the Yamaha MT-10, but beautiful she ain't. My CB certainly won't feel threatened at any swanky Moto Ball, having this new punk rock geisha with the green highlights serving as her wingman, but then the Yamaha was never exactly the Belle of the Ball either.

Different styles, to be sure, the XSR and Z900, but I doubt anyone ever bought either bike mainly for its looks. That's fine by me. The Z ain't pretty, but she works really well, and I already have pretty/classy/comfortable/elegant/timeless/cool covered by her gorgeous older sister in the sparkly red dress. I appreciate that this Z900 isn't a fake retro, like her costlier, slower, needlessly de-tuned siblings, the Z900RS and Z900 Cafe Racer. She isn't trying to hide what she is, or be something that she's not. With no rider modes, lean angle-sensitive ABS, traction control, or any other electronic nannies besides basic ABS, she's just a simple, honest, shockingly affordable, thoroughly modern go-fast machine that also happens to be pretty darn comfortable.

Oh, and she has none of the Z900RS's twitchy on-off throttle response in low gears.

I think I would still take the basic Z over her two Kawi siblings even if they were all the same price. Once the enormous difference in price is factored in, it's a no-brainer. The Z's fueling is so dialed in, the throttle response so user-friendly, traction control isn't necessary. Ditto, rider modes. Just give me one really good one, and you can keep all the others, thank you very much.
pdedse_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
So, my 2017 CB1100 EX has a new garage mate. I just traded in my 2016 Yamaha XSR900 for this thing...

cee3a2b324b16c4b34867907fc7ba511.jpg


aefb157a205dfa33ec72ea4fc43b0e61.jpg


46fef62f4abb75b886cbf1db50ad4459.jpg


dd42dd614ee135ad1e782e6f9171bff7.jpg


799721ec633c1c9b1c3fab83731701a7.jpg


(That last picture is just a generic shot of the 'Z'-shaped tail light. I don't have a fender eliminator kit on mine.)

Very Jekyll and Hyde bike, this Z900 ABS. Puttering around town, keeping it below 5K RPM, she's not only smoother than the XSR, she's smoother than the CB1100. Similar to the CB, however, albeit at a higher RPM, the Z then becomes a bit buzzy in her upper midrange. In fact, she becomes buzzier than either the CB or the Yamaha once she's in the 5,500-8K RPM range. Again similar to the CB, once she clears her buzzy patch in the midrange, she smooths right out again.

I've only managed an initial two hundred and fifty miles on her so far, with one Mosquito Ridge rip, but I haven't redlined her yet. I've zipped her up to about 9K, very briefly. I'm trying to do a decent break-in procedure, mainly avoiding freeway droning.

The overriding impression so far is one of polished refinement. Surprisingly so, really, as Kawi was never known for Honda-like attention to detail, but everything I'd read about this bike mentioned how smooth and refined it is, and those people were correct. All its systems are very Honda-like in their operation; much more so than the rawer Yamaha.

I prefer that type of refinement. I like for the clutch engagement, fuel delivery, and throttle response to be basically invisible, as they are on the big CB1100, and this little Kawi manages it quite convincingly.

Another similarity between the Z900 and most Hondas I've owned and ridden is that this Kawi hides its weight very well. Although it's a good forty pounds heavier than the Yamaha, one would never know it from the saddle. It turns more quickly and easily, and the handling is lighter everywhere. Part of this is due to the much lower seat height and sportier bars. The handling is significantly sportier, yet also much more user-friendly at parking-lot speeds. That's one area where the Z really outshines the Yamaha, along with its plusher suspension. The Kawi is much more confidence-inspiring, and much happier simply putzing around at city speeds. She doesn't seem angry and impatient when forced to go stoplight to stoplight at slow speeds. She seems perfectly content to be used as a city commuter.

Very CB-like, that.

She's just a bit different from the CB, however, once you grab some throttle...or stick her in front of a mirror.

:P
No doubt you will squeeze a lot of motorycle joy out of your new ride, so congrats on that, although I am surprised that you traded in the xsr900!
No doubt you will squeeze a lot of motorycle joy out of your new ride, so congrats on that, although I am surprised that you traded in the xsr900!
So am I, to be honest. Well, a little, anyway.

My riding buddy was just flat-out gobsmacked. He couldn't believe I swapped out that painstakingly fettled-over Yamaha, especially for something so seemingly similar.
 
Neat VLJ. You need a sportier bike to fulfill that Mosquito Ridge type itch that the CB just doesn't cure for you. It is a wild looking thing, glad it works better than it looks.

BTW my son just bought an MT-10 and is selling his FJ-09 because he was looking for a little more thrill in his ride. He thought the Yamaha triple was OK, but likes the sound and feel of the cross-plane 4 better.
 
The writeup is great! I don't think it is a bike I'd consider though. I take my CB to the store and can easily carry home a ton of groceries with minimal accessories. Not sure how you would do that on this bike? For that reason, it would not be an every day rider for me.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
I park next to a 2019 Z900 almost everyday, same lookin' as articled here.

I always wondered how it was, and now I have an idea. Thanks - and enjoy!
 
Good for you, VLJ. I like it when people do what I can't/won't: routinely change bikes and tell us about them. It's a bit of a paradox: I don't much like the look of modern Transformer-style bikes, but I do quite like the Kawasakis. They are what they are and they're not pretending to be anything other than modern get-along-quick machines. I like your description of the headlight as a "one-eye-on, one-eye-off thing". It is. Due to Queensland's crazy motorcycle learner's licence laws, I've been riding out with a young bloke on his 650 Ninja with the same headlight configuration and I almost always end up looking twice in the mirror at what I see as more of "a one-eye-on, one-eye-half-off thing".

I'll look forward to more reports when you've run it in and let rip on it. Where does it red line?
 
VLJ_imp said:
Biggest good surprise: the mirrors. They stay crystal clear at any speed, unlike the Yamaha mirrors, which buzz up the moment I hit seventy mph. For being a liter-sized, fairly revvy, solid-mounted I4 bike, the Z's mirrors are very impressive.

Biggest good surprise, Part II: that lowbeam headlight works very well. It kills the Yamaha's. I hate the looks of the one-eye-on, one-eye-off thing, I always will, but I can't deny that it provides surprisingly effective illumination at night.

Biggest bad surprise: motor heat bakes my left shin. Hadn't heard or read any mention of this, and I didn't feel it at all with my boots on today, but when I rode it in the foothills last night in jeans and hiking boots, yep, my left shin was taking a lot of heat. Then again, come winter time, that won't be a bad thing.

Biggest bad surprise, Part II: the fuel mileage. According to my onboard trip computer, today's ride netted 41.6 mpg. Sure, the majority of the ride was ripping around up on Mosquito Ridge, but the XSR900 always netted 46 mpg up there, and everywhere else, for that matter, and I was taking it relatively easy up there today since I'm still doing the break-in miles.

Lived up to the hype: the killer growl of the intake. Rather than having a loud exhaust, this one has a nicely quiet exhaust that is more than made up for by the gorgeous, growling howl that emanates from beneath the tank once you give it some stick. As the rider, I get all the benefit, without annoying the neighbors or attracting the attention of the police. Good deal.

Lived up to the hype, Part II: the strength and speed of the motor. It's not in-your-face beastly, like the XSR, with its crazy RIGHT NOW punch off the bottom. Instead, it's just a straight-up missile. Sneaky fast, due to its linear smoothness. Effortless speed.

Lived up to the hype, Part III: the steel trellis chassis, and the user-friendly handling. Dirck over at motorcycledaily.com went on and on about the improvement in handling brought about by the switch to the steel trellis frame in the new Z650 and Z900. Over the years, I've found that he is usually a reliable source of opinion, and he was correct again on this one.

I've often said that the CB1100 EX is the first liter bike I might recommend for someone to use for their DMV riding test, because it's just that easy to ride, even at parking lot speeds. The Z900 is the sportbike equivalent. Anyone could hop on the thing and immediately feel uncannily confident, safe, and secure.

Otherwise, okay, the looks of the thing...

Obviously, the cat-in-heat tail section is just plain silly. No need for it. I would prefer a flatter tail section, but this is never going to be anything but a solo-rider, comfortable sportbike, so I don't really care. Ditto, the DMV-mandated tail light/license plate assembly. It looks stupid, but most stock sportbikes these days sport something similar. Ditch it for a Tail Tidy, if need be. Again, I just can't be bothered. I don't really care about that stuff.

I'm not a fan of the flat-black paint on the rear of the tank. I'm also not a fan of the two-piece design of the tank. Not only does it look meh, it seems to serve no real purpose, other than to limit the size of any magnetic tank bag I might want to use with it. I also dislike the looks of the brake calipers. They look cheap. Well, to be fair, they are cheap, but they work like crazy, so whatever.

That's my overall feeling regarding the looks of this bike. Meh. Whatever. It's not a horrible-looking bike, thanks to that beautiful green frame, but the tail section is stupid, and the overall theme is still a bit too Transformers for my liking. It's nowhere near as Transformers as some of Kawi's other recent offerings, or the Yamaha MT-10, but beautiful she ain't. My CB certainly won't feel threatened at any swanky Moto Ball, having this new punk rock geisha with the green highlights serving as her wingman, but then the Yamaha was never exactly the Belle of the Ball either.

Different styles, to be sure, the XSR and Z900, but I doubt anyone ever bought either bike mainly for its looks. That's fine by me. The Z ain't pretty, but she works really well, and I already have pretty/classy/comfortable/elegant/timeless/cool covered by her gorgeous older sister in the sparkly red dress. I appreciate that this Z900 isn't a fake retro, like her costlier, slower, needlessly de-tuned siblings, the Z900RS and Z900 Cafe Racer. She isn't trying to hide what she is, or be something that she's not. With no rider modes, lean angle-sensitive ABS, traction control, or any other electronic nannies besides basic ABS, she's just a simple, honest, shockingly affordable, thoroughly modern go-fast machine that also happens to be pretty darn comfortable.

Oh, and she has none of the Z900RS's twitchy on-off throttle response in low gears.

I think I would still take the basic Z over her two Kawi siblings even if they were all the same price. Once the enormous difference in price is factored in, it's a no-brainer. The Z's fueling is so dialed in, the throttle response so user-friendly, traction control isn't necessary. Ditto, rider modes. Just give me one really good one, and you can keep all the others, thank you very much.
pdedse_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
So, my 2017 CB1100 EX has a new garage mate. I just traded in my 2016 Yamaha XSR900 for this thing...

cee3a2b324b16c4b34867907fc7ba511.jpg


aefb157a205dfa33ec72ea4fc43b0e61.jpg


46fef62f4abb75b886cbf1db50ad4459.jpg


dd42dd614ee135ad1e782e6f9171bff7.jpg


799721ec633c1c9b1c3fab83731701a7.jpg


(That last picture is just a generic shot of the 'Z'-shaped tail light. I don't have a fender eliminator kit on mine.)

Very Jekyll and Hyde bike, this Z900 ABS. Puttering around town, keeping it below 5K RPM, she's not only smoother than the XSR, she's smoother than the CB1100. Similar to the CB, however, albeit at a higher RPM, the Z then becomes a bit buzzy in her upper midrange. In fact, she becomes buzzier than either the CB or the Yamaha once she's in the 5,500-8K RPM range. Again similar to the CB, once she clears her buzzy patch in the midrange, she smooths right out again.

I've only managed an initial two hundred and fifty miles on her so far, with one Mosquito Ridge rip, but I haven't redlined her yet. I've zipped her up to about 9K, very briefly. I'm trying to do a decent break-in procedure, mainly avoiding freeway droning.

The overriding impression so far is one of polished refinement. Surprisingly so, really, as Kawi was never known for Honda-like attention to detail, but everything I'd read about this bike mentioned how smooth and refined it is, and those people were correct. All its systems are very Honda-like in their operation; much more so than the rawer Yamaha.

I prefer that type of refinement. I like for the clutch engagement, fuel delivery, and throttle response to be basically invisible, as they are on the big CB1100, and this little Kawi manages it quite convincingly.

Another similarity between the Z900 and most Hondas I've owned and ridden is that this Kawi hides its weight very well. Although it's a good forty pounds heavier than the Yamaha, one would never know it from the saddle. It turns more quickly and easily, and the handling is lighter everywhere. Part of this is due to the much lower seat height and sportier bars. The handling is significantly sportier, yet also much more user-friendly at parking-lot speeds. That's one area where the Z really outshines the Yamaha, along with its plusher suspension. The Kawi is much more confidence-inspiring, and much happier simply putzing around at city speeds. She doesn't seem angry and impatient when forced to go stoplight to stoplight at slow speeds. She seems perfectly content to be used as a city commuter.

Very CB-like, that.

She's just a bit different from the CB, however, once you grab some throttle...or stick her in front of a mirror.

:P
No doubt you will squeeze a lot of motorycle joy out of your new ride, so congrats on that, although I am surprised that you traded in the xsr900!
No doubt you will squeeze a lot of motorycle joy out of your new ride, so congrats on that, although I am surprised that you traded in the xsr900!
So am I, to be honest. Well, a little, anyway.

My riding buddy was just flat-out gobsmacked. He couldn't believe I swapped out that painstakingly fettled-over Yamaha, especially for something so seemingly similar.
VLJ, I always enjoy reading your reviews. Nicely done.
 
Thread starter
Retsel, I definitely have no plans to use this bike as a daily grocery-getter. No worries there. My 2017 CB1100 EX is much better suited for such duties, but as long as I continue to own a car I'll choose four wheels and a big trunk for running those sorts of errands.

Cormanus, like you (and practically everyone else here), I usually can't stand the look of Transformers bikes. I thought the Z1000 looked like a bad, cynical joke, and I couldn't believe what Yamaha did with the MT-10. If this Z900 looked as ridiculous as those two do, nope, I couldn't have pulled the trigger. Even for me, that's a bridge too far.

This one doesn't really bother me all that much. I know mickey absolutely loathes the tail section of this thing, and he's probably not much more of a fan of the front end, either, but I'm fine with it. The only piece on the entire bike that really annoys me is the faux cast-aluminum plastic thing that covers the lower portion of the frame. Zero need for that piece. I would have already ditched it, but for the fact that doing so exposes some ugly mounting brackets...which are only there for those stupid faux pieces! No fake pieces, no need for their mounting brackets. Problem solved.

Gah!

Otherwise, I won't be embarrassed to be seen on this bike, which is why I chose the simple black model instead of the gaudier gray and red version. All in all, I think this one looks reasonably subdued, and kinda cool. I've even gotten used to the goofy tail section. When I first saw it, I just shook my head. Why the additional upward bend in the subframe? Why not just let it continue straight back, at the same angle?

Oh, well. I'm over it. In fact, now I like that the Z900 looks youthful and aggressive, while not being completely over the top. I think she serves as a better counterpoint than the XSR to the retro-styled CB. The XSR also looked vaguely retro, yet nowhere near as good as the CB. This one stakes out her own territory, leaving the classic beauty queen thing to the authentic-retro Honda.

To your other point, yeah, I hate it when a bike has twin headlights and only one is lit up. The Ninja 1000 always uses both lights, so why doesn't this one?

Oh, and this one redlines at 11K. I haven't hit 10K yet. I briefly zinged her up to 9K, but that's it so far. Give me another week or so, and I should be good to go.

My initial impressions are telling me that I will follow the same route I took with the CB; namely, that the addition of heated grips is the only mod I will do to her. I'm not touching the brakes, that's for sure. No need for steel lines or more aggressive pads. Pedestrian calipers or not, this thing drops anchor like it hit an iceberg. Similarly, I feel no real desire to replace the stock exhaust. A deeper rumble would be great, but is it necessary?

I don't think so. I'm fine with the stock sound, and this bike sure doesn't need any more power, or any fueling/throttle response help from a reflashed ECU.

Considering the price point, I feel the same regarding the suspension. It's completely fine for street use. The ride quality is also plusher than the Yamaha's, despite being equally firm.

So far, I'm impressed. At an msrp of only $8,799 for the ABS version ($8,399, sans ABS), this one sure seems like an awful lot of bike for the money. Off the top of my head, I really can't think of a better bang-for-the-buck option.
 
A left-over CB1100 for around $6k comes to mind.

Glad you like the new bike. And you're right, aside from the tail, it's not completely ridiculous looking. I sure would like to get one of those up in the mountains for a go.

Report back once you get her properly flogged.
 
Thread starter
0529d4ce8d7bb2513e1ff0a189cf5300.jpg


400-mile ride today, up to Monitor Pass, back around Lake Tahoe, then Hwy 49 to Downieville and back to Roseville. Doing the 600-mile service tomorrow. I went a little too far today, so the bike now has a bit over 700 miles. I usually try to get that first oil change in before 600 miles, but oh well.

Zinged her up to redline a couple of times today, and spent a lot more time than before in the upper midrange. I can safely say now that the powerbands and engine characteristics are very different between the Yamaha and Kawi. The Yamaha is punchier down low, and smoother from the midrange to redline. Less engine vibration. The Kawi is smoother down low, say, below 5K rpm. Also, the Kawi's sixth gear is a true overdrive gear, so it doesn't pull as hard as the Yamaha does in sixth, but it pulls just as hard or harder in all the other gears, once the tach is in that 7-11k rpm range.

Keep in mind, the Yamaha has a full Akrapovic carbon system, with a matching ECU reflash. The Kawi is bone stock. On the dyno, the Yamaha now makes 112.4 rwhp and 60 ft-lbs of torque, while the Kawi generally comes in between 113-115 rwhp and roughly 68 ft-lbs of torque. My Yamaha was down to 420 lbs wet, vs 463 for the stock ABS Z900.

Basically, they're a wash. I think the Kawi might ultimately be a hair faster on top, but the Yamaha punches harder down low. Even so, the Kawi is still plenty torquey down low. It's just that my piped Yamaha was a monster. It pulled so hard, right away.

The Kawi sounds rowdier than the Yamaha, once the tach rises. The Yamaha has a higher-pitched ripping tone, while the Kawi has this unique growly roar that comes from the airbox. Never heard anything like it. Kinda reminds me of the Hemi sound of a Dodge Challenger.

Fun-wise, I think I'd have to go with the Kawi, because it's easier to ride anywhere. It's definitely better at slow speeds, and around town. At racier speeds up in the canyons, it just plain handles more easily. It turns in quicker and feels more planted, even though it is significantly plusher. The Yamaha has less brake dive, but then the suspension is also stiffer and harsher, and the seating position with the bar risers is much more upright, so there's less weight over the front end. Also, even though the Yamaha has radial-mounted brake calipers, vs the Kawi's conventional units, and despite the fact that I added steel lines and race pads to the Yamaha, the Kawi's stock, low-spec brakes are better. They certainly grab harder and seem more powerful.

One enormous difference between the two is that it's much easier to get to the edge of the tire on the Kawi. It just has the racier chassis, despite the Yamaha being stiffer. I backed out the rebound on the Kawi's suspension to make it plusher, which I could never achieve with the Yamaha's suspension. For track use, which I will never do on this bike, I've made it too soft and sproingy. My goal was to make it more compliant and less jarring over the sharp-edged bumps I encounter on so many of my favorite roads. I could probably increase the rebound back to stock, or even a bit slower-firmer, and it would still be plusher than the Yamaha.

More confidence inspiring, in large part due to the sportier riding position, and the Kawi's superior overall refinement.

I prefer the Kawi's instrument cluster to the Yamaha's, since it's larger and includes everything on one screen, plus it looks cooler. At this point I also prefer the overall looks of the Kawi. Even that elevated tail section no longer bothers me. I kind of like it now. In person, it looks better than in the pictures. In person, it just looks right.

Still hate the look of the one low-beam headlight being off, though.

I managed 400 miles today, and my reconstructed neck only offered a few twinge-of-pain complaints. I consider that a pass. Overall, the seating position is less comfortable than the Yamaha's, but it fits me better than the Honda. I didn't need to stand on the pegs and stretch as often today as I usually do on the Honda. That being said, I definitely consider the Honda my 'touring' bike now. With the Yamaha, it was tricky. The Honda was smoother, for the most part, with way better mirrors and superior carrying capacity for luggage, but the Yamaha had the more comfortable seating position. All in all, it was difficult to choose, as to the better bike for long trips. Now, with the Honda and the much racier Kawi, the delineation is more clear-cut, in favor of the Honda.

Initially, I thought the Kawi was just as smooth as the Honda, especially down low. Nope, I was wrong. The Honda is smoother everywhere. They're close down low, but the Honda is smoother. The Honda's vibey patch between 3,500-5,000 rpm isn't as vibey as the Kawi's midrange buzz, which can definitely be felt in the knees, through the tank. No vibes in the feet, but certain RPM combined with the additional weight on my hands did make my throttle hand get a bit tingly sometimes, and the Honda rarely does that. Also, as stellar and buzz-free as the Kawi's mirrors are, especially in comparison to the blurry Yamaha mirrors, the Honda's are still better. Elbows don't take up as much of the mirror space, and the CB's mirrors are literally vibration-free, at all RPM. The Kawi's are nearly so, as well.

I expected the Yamaha and Kawi to be more different than they really are, performance-wise. Instead, nope, they're very close, with the Kawi's main edge being that it's easier to ride, more neutral, more refined, and, as a result, more confidence inspiring. The Yamaha's two main advantages are its prodigious grunt right off the throttle, and its ability to remain utterly unruffled when you slam on the brakes, charging hard into a corner. The Kawi brakes harder, more fiercely, but in doing so it tends to collapse the front end more. With the Yamaha, you never even notice any front-end dive.

Still, with the way the Kawi turns in and locks in, it makes you feel like a hero. Right away, you feel totally in control, and eager to rip. With the Yamaha, you always have that slight awareness that you'd probably better be a bit careful with her when hard on the gas in the corners, lest she bite back. No such worries, with the Kawi. You always feel as if you can just keep feeding more and more power to that rear tire, even without any traction control or riding modes. The connection between your wrist and the tire feels so clean and direct.

That's a very big thing. They did a great job there.

Oh, and by the end of the ride, most of which was at altitude, hard on the gas, the fuel mileage had bumped up to 43 mpg, vs 41 mpg at Mosquito Ridge. Still a hair down on the Yamaha's consistent 46 mpg, but then the Kawi does have a 4.5-gallon tank, vs the Yamaha's (debatable) 3.7-gallon tank.

Here's the biggest thing, however. Similar to the Honda, I loved the Kawi from the very first moment that I rode her. Not so, with the Yamaha. Right away, there were things about the Yamaha that I wanted to change, and even though I fixed them to work better for me, I never was completely enamored with the XSR. I respected her, and had lots of fun with her, but I was never fully satisfied. I never felt truly settled. I was always thinking of potential replacements.

Not so, with the Kawi. Especially not at that price. Even disregarding the low price, I feel more in tune with the Kawi, more immediately at home. My degree of satisfaction right out of the box is far greater.

The Honda is a solid 9 out of 10 to me, losing a full point due to the never-ending brake squealing, and its latest issue, an obnoxious cracking sound that is loud and clear, and is felt through the bars, every time I hit the brakes firmly at low speeds. It's the opposite of the squeal thing, which only occurs when feathering the brakes while rolling to a stop. My local dealer and American Honda just took another look at my bike and decided, "That's just the way they are. Floating rotors are noisy. Deal with it."

No, floating rotors don't cause nasty cracking sounds that can be felt through the bars.

Whatever. I'm through with American Honda, and my local dealer. I'm through chasing this. Either the bike will stop doing these things, or I'll give up and get used to it, or I will never get used to it, never accept it, and end up selling the bike. That would be a real shame, too, since the Honda and Kawi really do make for a well-matched pair of stablemates.
 
That really is a bummer about the brakes on the 2017. What is wrong with dealers and the manufacturers' representatives that they seem not to want people to be happy wth their products?

But, hey, it's better news about the joys of the Z900 and so, on balance, it's an OK day.
 
Nice comparo VLJ and nice that you found 2 bikes quite opposite that make you happy (caveat the CB's brake situation). Btw the FJR has floating front discs which do make a click you feel and hear when braking. newbies are sure their steering head bearings are loose since that is what it feels like when braking, but Yamaha assures you it's the floating discs)

From our conversations in years past I never believed you would like the heavy, underpowered, under torqued CB 1100 and I'm pleasantly suprised that you do. It's a great bike despite it's sporty shortcomings (which apparently the Kawi makes up for .. although it apparently falls short of the CB's overall civility). Vive le difference!

I have ridden Rt 49, Monitor Pass and Ebbetts Pass, although I'm sure I took them at a much more sedate pace than you did. I was riding an NC 700 with my wife on the back. Ate at the restaurant overlooking the lake up top. We rode up from Minden, Nevada while on a trip visiting my nephew. Some really fine riding out there.
 
Thread starter
mickey, if the Z900 falls short of the CB's civility, it isn't by much. It's just slightly buzzier, and only at certain rpm. It really is shockingly refined, especially for a Kawi!
 
VLJ_imp said:
0529d4ce8d7bb2513e1ff0a189cf5300.jpg


400-mile ride today, up to Monitor Pass, back around Lake Tahoe, then Hwy 49 to Downieville and back to Roseville. Doing the 600-mile service tomorrow. I went a little too far today, so the bike now has a bit over 700 miles. I usually try to get that first oil change in before 600 miles, but oh well.

Zinged her up to redline a couple of times today, and spent a lot more time than before in the upper midrange. I can safely say now that the powerbands and engine characteristics are very different between the Yamaha and Kawi. The Yamaha is punchier down low, and smoother from the midrange to redline. Less engine vibration. The Kawi is smoother down low, say, below 5K rpm. Also, the Kawi's sixth gear is a true overdrive gear, so it doesn't pull as hard as the Yamaha does in sixth, but it pulls just as hard or harder in all the other gears, once the tach is in that 7-11k rpm range.

Keep in mind, the Yamaha has a full Akrapovic carbon system, with a matching ECU reflash. The Kawi is bone stock. On the dyno, the Yamaha now makes 112.4 rwhp and 60 ft-lbs of torque, while the Kawi generally comes in between 113-115 rwhp and roughly 68 ft-lbs of torque. My Yamaha was down to 420 lbs wet, vs 463 for the stock ABS Z900.

Basically, they're a wash. I think the Kawi might ultimately be a hair faster on top, but the Yamaha punches harder down low. Even so, the Kawi is still plenty torquey down low. It's just that my piped Yamaha was a monster. It pulled so hard, right away.

The Kawi sounds rowdier than the Yamaha, once the tach rises. The Yamaha has a higher-pitched ripping tone, while the Kawi has this unique growly roar that comes from the airbox. Never heard anything like it. Kinda reminds me of the Hemi sound of a Dodge Challenger.

Fun-wise, I think I'd have to go with the Kawi, because it's easier to ride anywhere. It's definitely better at slow speeds, and around town. At racier speeds up in the canyons, it just plain handles more easily. It turns in quicker and feels more planted, even though it is significantly plusher. The Yamaha has less brake dive, but then the suspension is also stiffer and harsher, and the seating position with the bar risers is much more upright, so there's less weight over the front end. Also, even though the Yamaha has radial-mounted brake calipers, vs the Kawi's conventional units, and despite the fact that I added steel lines and race pads to the Yamaha, the Kawi's stock, low-spec brakes are better. They certainly grab harder and seem more powerful.

One enormous difference between the two is that it's much easier to get to the edge of the tire on the Kawi. It just has the racier chassis, despite the Yamaha being stiffer. I backed out the rebound on the Kawi's suspension to make it plusher, which I could never achieve with the Yamaha's suspension. For track use, which I will never do on this bike, I've made it too soft and sproingy. My goal was to make it more compliant and less jarring over the sharp-edged bumps I encounter on so many of my favorite roads. I could probably increase the rebound back to stock, or even a bit slower-firmer, and it would still be plusher than the Yamaha.

More confidence inspiring, in large part due to the sportier riding position, and the Kawi's superior overall refinement.

I prefer the Kawi's instrument cluster to the Yamaha's, since it's larger and includes everything on one screen, plus it looks cooler. At this point I also prefer the overall looks of the Kawi. Even that elevated tail section no longer bothers me. I kind of like it now. In person, it looks better than in the pictures. In person, it just looks right.

Still hate the look of the one low-beam headlight being off, though.

I managed 400 miles today, and my reconstructed neck only offered a few twinge-of-pain complaints. I consider that a pass. Overall, the seating position is less comfortable than the Yamaha's, but it fits me better than the Honda. I didn't need to stand on the pegs and stretch as often today as I usually do on the Honda. That being said, I definitely consider the Honda my 'touring' bike now. With the Yamaha, it was tricky. The Honda was smoother, for the most part, with way better mirrors and superior carrying capacity for luggage, but the Yamaha had the more comfortable seating position. All in all, it was difficult to choose, as to the better bike for long trips. Now, with the Honda and the much racier Kawi, the delineation is more clear-cut, in favor of the Honda.

Initially, I thought the Kawi was just as smooth as the Honda, especially down low. Nope, I was wrong. The Honda is smoother everywhere. They're close down low, but the Honda is smoother. The Honda's vibey patch between 3,500-5,000 rpm isn't as vibey as the Kawi's midrange buzz, which can definitely be felt in the knees, through the tank. No vibes in the feet, but certain RPM combined with the additional weight on my hands did make my throttle hand get a bit tingly sometimes, and the Honda rarely does that. Also, as stellar and buzz-free as the Kawi's mirrors are, especially in comparison to the blurry Yamaha mirrors, the Honda's are still better. Elbows don't take up as much of the mirror space, and the CB's mirrors are literally vibration-free, at all RPM. The Kawi's are nearly so, as well.

I expected the Yamaha and Kawi to be more different than they really are, performance-wise. Instead, nope, they're very close, with the Kawi's main edge being that it's easier to ride, more neutral, more refined, and, as a result, more confidence inspiring. The Yamaha's two main advantages are its prodigious grunt right off the throttle, and its ability to remain utterly unruffled when you slam on the brakes, charging hard into a corner. The Kawi brakes harder, more fiercely, but in doing so it tends to collapse the front end more. With the Yamaha, you never even notice any front-end dive.

Still, with the way the Kawi turns in and locks in, it makes you feel like a hero. Right away, you feel totally in control, and eager to rip. With the Yamaha, you always have that slight awareness that you'd probably better be a bit careful with her when hard on the gas in the corners, lest she bite back. No such worries, with the Kawi. You always feel as if you can just keep feeding more and more power to that rear tire, even without any traction control or riding modes. The connection between your wrist and the tire feels so clean and direct.

That's a very big thing. They did a great job there.

Oh, and by the end of the ride, most of which was at altitude, hard on the gas, the fuel mileage had bumped up to 43 mpg, vs 41 mpg at Mosquito Ridge. Still a hair down on the Yamaha's consistent 46 mpg, but then the Kawi does have a 4.5-gallon tank, vs the Yamaha's (debatable) 3.7-gallon tank.

Here's the biggest thing, however. Similar to the Honda, I loved the Kawi from the very first moment that I rode her. Not so, with the Yamaha. Right away, there were things about the Yamaha that I wanted to change, and even though I fixed them to work better for me, I never was completely enamored with the XSR. I respected her, and had lots of fun with her, but I was never fully satisfied. I never felt truly settled. I was always thinking of potential replacements.

Not so, with the Kawi. Especially not at that price. Even disregarding the low price, I feel more in tune with the Kawi, more immediately at home. My degree of satisfaction right out of the box is far greater.

The Honda is a solid 9 out of 10 to me, losing a full point due to the never-ending brake squealing, and its latest issue, an obnoxious cracking sound that is loud and clear, and is felt through the bars, every time I hit the brakes firmly at low speeds. It's the opposite of the squeal thing, which only occurs when feathering the brakes while rolling to a stop. My local dealer and American Honda just took another look at my bike and decided, "That's just the way they are. Floating rotors are noisy. Deal with it."

No, floating rotors don't cause nasty cracking sounds that can be felt through the bars.

Whatever. I'm through with American Honda, and my local dealer. I'm through chasing this. Either the bike will stop doing these things, or I'll give up and get used to it, or I will never get used to it, never accept it, and end up selling the bike. That would be a real shame, too, since the Honda and Kawi really do make for a well-matched pair of stablemates.
I have the consistent "feathering the brakes" squeal, although I've made no attempts at a fix since reading of what you tried. However, I haven't noticed (yet) the low speed "cracking sound" with firm braking on my '17. Do you brake firmly at low speed to avoid the squeal produced by feathering? A new brake crackling that develops because one tries to avoid a squeal from brake feathering--that would be a bit ironic. I think I've learned to live with the front squeal. My concern might be that if I ever wanted to sell the bike...how to convince a buyer that the squeal is "normal". Solution is to not sell the bike?
 
Man, I don't think you have to apologize or rationalize the looks of the Kawi. While it is't in the same vein as the CB, an almost universally acknowledged design masterpiece, the Kawi represents modern design, and is purposeful as such. My riding buddy has one, and it gets kudos, particularly from younger riders, at bike meet ups. And it is a hoot to ride. Nice write up on your experiences to date, and enjoy it!
 
Thread starter
pdedse, you hit it on the head. The cracking sound I feel through the bars came about as a result of trying to avoid feathering the brakes, so I wouldn't have to hear the brake squeal. I've also been using the rear brake much more now when rolling to a stop, for the same reason. The cracking sound/feeling only started around five hundred miles ago. Never happened during the first year.

The dealer and American Honda say the cracking thing and the brake squeal are perfectly normal. After measuring everything, they say the rotors are in perfect spec.

I just picked up the CB from the dealer. I'm on a ride now, and just stopped for breakfast up in the mountains.

Once again, I was wrong about the Kawi, vs the Honda. The Honda vibrates every bit as much as the Kawi, but in different ways, and at different spots in the powerband. While neither bike ever vibrates in the pegs, the Honda vibrates more than the Kawi through the bars, while the Kawi vibrates more than the Honda or Yamaha through the knees. The Honda is pretty smooth up to 3,500, but the Kawi is smoother at the bottom of its powerband. Both bikes suffer their worst vibration in the midrange, before smoothing out again on top. The Honda is smoother than the Kaw on top, but it's all relative, as the Kawi has many more revs with which to play, and a much wider powerband. The Kawi is smoother at freeway speeds. It's only once you rip into its midrange that the vibes appear, and they go away again once you near the top of the tach.

Just like the Honda.

Here's a weird one for ya'. The Honda has a louder, meaner exhaust note than the Kawi! Cracks me up, really. The Kawi is so smooth, until that induction roar beneath the tank joins the party, at which point it sounds and feels positively beastly. Meanwhile, the Honda exhaust just always snarls and burbles away, sounding more like a hot rod than the Kawi.
.
After riding the Kawi all day yesterday and learning its clutch engagement point, I find that I'm screwing up now when leaving a stoplight on the Honda! I keep letting the clutch out too soon, because that's how the Kawi needs to be ridden in order to avoid making its clutch shudder.

No biggie. Just a matter of getting reacquainted with the Honda, which, by the way, now feels like an absolute sofa compared to the tighter, lighter, tauter Kawi. The difference in the two seats is downright crazy. Also, suddenly the Honda feels kind of tall from the saddle. The Kawi's seat height is a lot lower.

mickey would love that!

Okay, the jambalaya breakfast with a tropical Red Bull chaser have been powered down. Time to hop back on the Honda and hit the twisties....
 
Thread starter
So, after my trip the other day to Lake Berryessa and Skaggs Springs Rd, the Z900 has just shy of 1,100 miles. I consider her fully broken-in now.

Anyway, I can now say for certain that the Z900 vibrates less everywhere than the CB or XSR. The upper midrange RPM does exhibit a bit of vibration in the tank, but so does the CB, which I noted while intentionally looking for it, directly after riding the Z900. They both vibrate about the same between the knees, and neither vibrate at all in the pegs, but the CB vibrates more through the bars and grips, and so does the XSR. What I originally thought to be engine vibration in the bars from the Kawi turned out to be nothing more than my arm, wrist, and hand reacting to the Z's increased forward-lean seating position, compared to the other two. Purely in terms of vibration, there is almost none to speak of, except for a 3,000-wide patch through the knees in the upper midrange.

So, very smooth, indeed.

The motor is almost scary fast as you approach redline. Those last two- to three-thousand RPM see you inhaling sweepers like you're pressing hyperspace in a video game. A lot of it is gearing. The Z only reaches an indicated 82 mph at 11K RPM in second gear. My old GSX-R1000 did 123 mph in second gear, so the Kawi definitely runs out of gear much more quickly.

I wasn't willing to go much faster than that during this ride. In an effort to avoid tickets, I confined the fast runs to the isolated roads up in the mountains, which were too twisty to do any top-speed runs. A couple of times I zinged up into the mid-120s, and that was plenty fast enough for me. With the end of the sweeper looming ahead, I backed off.

So, while I have seen clips of the stock Z900 doing just shy of 160 mph, I cannot confirm this info, firsthand. I probably never will. I won't be taking her to the track, and I no longer have any interest in doing 150+ mph on the street.

In terms of handling, the Z is not as firm as the XSR. With the rebound set softly, it's nearly as plush as the CB. Set firmly, it's roughly equal to the XSR. The cool thing is that changes to this setting really are noticeable from the saddle. In the end, I opted to sacrifice a bit of plushness in favor of having a firmer, steadier front end under hard braking, so I increased the rebound back to the factory setting, which is still plusher than the XSR. Overall, the bike does feel a bit heavier during side-to-side transitions than the XSR, which it is, by forty-three lbs, currently, but it remains easier to ride fast, more confidence-inspiring, and quicker turning. The XSR with its stiffer suspension is a bit steadier under hard braking, especially trailbraking into a fast corner. Less front-end dive.

Once again, this trip netted 43 mpg, which isn't bad, considering that the majority of the day was spent sport riding.

The seat comfort of the Z is the best of the three bikes for me, precisely due to that increased forward lean, which places less weight on my tailbone. I definitely stand up on the pegs and stretch much less frequently on the Kawi than on the other two. Conversely, I need to sit up in the saddle and ride one-handed more often on the Z, in deference to my throttle-side arm and hand.

For overall comfort, the XSR with its Dimotiv bar risers is the best, but I never liked how tall the seat height was on that bike. Extra legroom, for sure, but it always felt like a slightly odd position to me, particularly when riding aggressively in the canyons. The Kawi's riding position is spot-on perfect for such things. Not too aggressive, not too upright. Just right.

One thing I've learned about the Kawi is that I am more prone to dragging pegs on her than I ever was on the Yamaha, or even the CB. If I'm not smooth on and off the brakes during a slow, off-camber turn on the Kawi, sometimes I hit the left peg. Just have to ride her better, is the key.
 
Back
Top