2018 IMS - Chicago

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
Spent all afternoon and evening on Friday at the bike show. This is the third consecutive year where I took the afternoon off of work to enjoy the show. On the face of it, this might seem like a waste of a day since I am not in the market for a bike or gear, but I really do enjoy spending that afternoon at the show even though I wander around by myself for much of it. I think that the Chicago version of the IMS coming at almost exactly the midpoint of our riding winter has a lot to do with it.

Typically, I meet up with a group of (mostly) V-Twin riders at Hofbrauhaus before the show for some German food and beer and then we head over to the show and I kind of wander off by myself. This year, because of a major snow storm, I ate some German food and drank some German beer alone. Although, there was an Indian rider on the bar stool adjacent to my own and we had a nice conversation while we noshed on sausages and kraut.





I walked from the restaurant to the convention center, picked up my complimentary ticket (One small perk of being a Progressive Insurance agent is that I get 8 free tickets to this show every year), and headed in. Spent some time with my Progressive rep, got my free coffee mug, t-shirt, and swag bag and commenced to wandering.

cd57eae8beb885f95ea4222fedb2ad29.jpg


26334c49b22b8525ffef237b4842e9e5.jpg




b55ac02a032d26c4d7797da03519455f.jpg


af4e3ecb24b874391cb06a7af14d57ff.jpg




I scoped out the new Goldwing, which is way more impressive in person than even in all the videos and photographs I have seen. Spent a lot of time in the vintage bike section, tried on some jackets and gloves, and meandered around for a few hours until Cheryl and some other friends arrived.



Almost bought the Mobile Warming heated jacket, but decided to wait to pull the trigger on it. That was the only item I was seriously going to buy.

Cheryl sat on a bunch of bikes. She really liked the lowered BMW R1200GS and, surprisingly, a couple of Harleys--She'd have the Sporster/Bobber (or whatever it's called) as a second bike, I think. She was shocked and impressed that she could 'fit' on a Wing. It's too expensive, but I bet she test rides one this spring. She sat on the NC700x because The Ferret wanted us to look at it...still too tall for her taste. In the end, the Indian Scout set up for 5'6" and under fit her perfectly and our friend Jennifer (a new rider) liked that one best, too. We will see if the CTX is traded in this year.









After the show, we went for pizza at Gino's East with Cheryl's brother, Mike and Jennifer, and a small group of mostly long-distance rider types. Great pizza and a couple of beers and talk of Iron Butt rides past and to come made for a wonderful end to my day.

Just a few more weeks and the season will be here again. Until then, I have a bag full of bike brochures peruse to while away the time.
 
Now I know who to hit up for a free ticket next year

thanks for the pics and tell your bride this Blackhawks loving cheesehead says hi
 
Thread starter
Ole... just let me know if you're coming down next year. No guarantees, but I have received 8 free passes for the last 4 or 5 years, so there's a good chance that I would have one for you.
That V-Strom 250 impressed me. Looks like a fun bike.
 
The NC is supposed to be a 750 this year I had heard. I think that just might be the perfect lighter weight local rides bike for me. I considered that , the SV 650, NC 500X, another scooter maybe? The nice thing about the NC is 70-80 mpg, easy on tires, and easy low maintenance. Even considering the DCT version of it.

Going to look at the Wing, for my next tourer, but I'm afraid it's going to be too big for me. Did Cheryl lift it off the side stand?

Wish they had that show in Cincinnati instead of Cleveland.

BTW I had that exact model CB 450.
 
Thread starter
I think it is a 750... I just typed it wrong. I am becoming more and more interested in DCT, especially for bikes like the Wing.

Cheryl did lift it off the side stand...the nice woman rep at the BMW exhibit showed her how to turn the front wheel to the right while holding the brake and use her right leg to push on the peg. Came right up, despite the look on her face in the picture. LOL
 
interesting so when she lifted the wing off the side stand she had her right foot pushing down on the right peg, instead of having both feet on the ground? Going ot have to try that. I do turn the bars to the right on my ST, it stands it up straighter before the heave to the right lol.

Did she fit better on the BMW GS low or the Wing?
 
Thread starter
Better on the GS, for sure, but my Honda guy, Jeff, was at the show and giving her the hard sell on the Wing with DCT. He contends, and I don't disagree, that the DCT could be very beneficial for her especially at low speeds. He also thinks that the regular Goldwing (no top case) is a much better motorcycle on the road than the Touring model.
 
where's the pic of her on the GS?
 
Thread starter
I didn't get a pic of her on the GS or the Scout. Oh...one thing, she had a harder time getting the GS off the side stand than the Wing, but a guy I know told me that they make a side stand extension for the GS that makes the task much easier.
 
I take it Royal Enfield didn't have their 650 twin interceptor there?
 
Thread starter
I don't know. I didn't spend much time at that exhibit. I snapped a couple of pics because I thought that it might be a good choice for my brother's first bike, if he decides to take up riding in earnest.
 
MTC, thanks for the pics and write-up. That looks like the same blue GW that I sat on yesterday. I used to attend the Long Beach, CA show religiously. Upon moving to Colorado fifteen years ago, I was relieved to know the show made a stop here too. Unfortunately, about ten years ago, they dropped Denver. I've not been to a show since and really miss it. Heck, I'd even pay my own admission.
 
Thread starter
Just fly in to Chicago, LR. The show is right near the airport and near my house. I bet you'd even know a couple of the guys I usually have dinner with.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I take it Royal Enfield didn't have their 650 twin interceptor there?
The second Royal Enfield that Empty Sea pictured one page 1 with the chrome tank appears to be the Interceptor. Note the braided brake lines at the front of the tank, the oil cooler, the new forks and front fender bracket reflected in chrome at the front of the tank.

That looks very much like the Interceptor in this video of Royal Enfield North America President Rod Copes.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Better on the GS, for sure, but my Honda guy, Jeff, was at the show and giving her the hard sell on the Wing with DCT. He contends, and I don't disagree, that the DCT could be very beneficial for her especially at low speeds. He also thinks that the regular Goldwing (no top case) is a much better motorcycle on the road than the Touring model.
May I ask 'why' to both statements?
 
MTC - I think I can safely speak for everyone here in saying that it is never a waste of time going to a bike show. I used to go to the Toronto International Motorcycle Show every year with my old riding partner, miss it now that I don't live in Ontario.

That Sportster 48 looks like it fits your wife pretty good.
 
Good eye Nortoon I totally missed that. i was looking for an orange tank, not a chrome one as the giveaway.

Cormanus_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Better on the GS, for sure, but my Honda guy, Jeff, was at the show and giving her the hard sell on the Wing with DCT. He contends, and I don't disagree, that the DCT could be very beneficial for her especially at low speeds. He also thinks that the regular Goldwing (no top case) is a much better motorcycle on the road than the Touring model.
May I ask 'why' to both statements?
May I ask 'why' to both statements?
Cormanus.. as far as the DCT trans, it is always in the right gear, you can't stall it, can't take off in the wrong gear, and you can concentrate on riding without thinking about the mechanics of shifting. Taking off uphill, stop and go traffic, not having to judge when to downshift for a curve vs rpms etc

As to why the F6B looking model would be a better tourer I have no idea where that's coming from. Basically same bike without a top box, and I don't think the tour is much heavier than the non tour model.
 
Back
Top