2018 Harley Soft Tails

hb9400_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I like to follow new model announcements with all the brands, yes you can get into trouble doing that :) Reading up on the Harley model shakeup and introduction of the new Soft Tails has been really interesting. Since I've never owned a Harley and therefore don't have the brand loyalty it has been refreshing to see them actually improving their lineup with their new frame, led lighting and a small change but something that I noticed, the kick stand change. I hated Harley kick stands.

Looking at the 8 models introduced at first I gravitated towards the Fat Bob. It has that V Max look but with only a 3.5 gallon tank that would annoy me after awhile, no thanks . I decided that the Fat Boy model worked the best for me. 5 gallon tank and the brushed chrome look works well. The soft tail look makes the back end look clean and the floor boards feel about right. Sadly with price tag of $20k for the 107 and $22k for the 114 I just can't see pulling the trigger.

Nice job Harley, you got me into a dealership to gaze but just too steep for me.
 
Glad to see HD making some improvements in their line. THey could probably make a bike that would make me happy ( as could Indian), but they simply refuse to do so.
 
I dig the the 2018 Softail Low Rider. What a darned good-looking bike. Might have to demo one just to torment myself.

6210ae059e1808277910cc0de3f6fe03.jpg
 
Saw that exact bike on the road yesterday. I had to look twice to see if it was indeed a Harley. Sounded pretty good too with those pipes.
 
I have to admit that your point flew over my head for a few minutes there, rotor...but yes. You are correct.
 
To be explicit: all four of those are objects widely considered beautiful, depending on the time, place and taste of observers. I find late twentieth and early twenty-first century north American taste in motorcycles quite similar to the early seventeenth century Flemish taste in women - well, 'Rubenesque'.
 
Thread starter
Just to clarify I won't be giving up the CB1100 for one, nor the V Strom. I appreciate the technology changes they put in. Stichill let me know what your impressions if you decide to demo the Low Rider.
 
The new hd's are causing something of a problem for the Dyna riders. Harley folded its Dyna line into its Softail line, and emerged with a field of new Softail motorcycles.. The dyna line was the more sportier, modified, hooliganized line, where the softails were not.

Naming the new line as softails has irked folks. The new motors may in fact be great, but change to the rear suspension has many (dyna) folks concerned that folks won't be able to customize em to suit...

My other bike to my '13 cb1100 is a 03 dyna wide glide (got it cheap). The dyna folks on hdforums has their collective panties in a bunch, due to the changes..

I haven't really read good yet about the styling of the new bikes from the hd faithful. I'm not really a hd person, but none of the new larger hd's do it for me. I can see some of upgrades and styling queues, but nothing hits the mark for me.. I like the smaller newer 750 street rod, but have to see one in person.

It seems waaay more like HD went "here's what you guys want/need" without really paying attention to what rider really want..

I get that manufacturers have to upgrade some things (like fuel injection simply for pollution requirements), but you gotta keep your core .. Many of the dyna guys are looking towards the Indian Scout models.. That to me, look like they are more fun
 
The other day I was thinking about this while out riding my ST1300. Looking down you can't see the motor in the ST, too much gas tank and fairing in the way, and I thought " what is with Harley?" ( or Indian for that matter). A bike like this could have a rubber mounted or counter balanced V twin engine in this bike, it could even be liquid cooled. The powerplant is really a small part of the whole package and a V twin could be hidden in a sport tourer or standard or ADV just like it is in a Suzuki v strom, KTM GT or Ducati Multistrada. I wonder if they ever even consider that? It's their loss that they don't.
 
The ferret_imp said:
The other day I was thinking about this while out riding my ST1300. Looking down you can't see the motor in the ST, too much gas tank and fairing in the way, and I thought " what is with Harley?" ( or Indian for that matter). A bike like this could have a rubber mounted or counter balanced V twin engine in this bike, it could even be liquid cooled. The powerplant is really a small part of the whole package and a V twin could be hidden in a sport tourer or standard or ADV just like it is in a Suzuki v strom, KTM GT or Ducati Multistrada. I wonder if they ever even consider that? It's their loss that they don't.


The ferret_imp said:
The other day I was thinking about this while out riding my ST1300. Looking down you can't see the motor in the ST, too much gas tank and fairing in the way, and I thought " what is with Harley?" ( or Indian for that matter). A bike like this could have a rubber mounted or counter balanced V twin engine in this bike, it could even be liquid cooled. The powerplant is really a small part of the whole package and a V twin could be hidden in a sport tourer or standard or ADV just like it is in a Suzuki v strom, KTM GT or Ducati Multistrada. I wonder if they ever even consider that? It's their loss that they don't.
Doh! Oh well. :P
 
Lol more like a V twin Goldwing than a V twin ST

FJR...ST... Concours... RT... Less cruiser...more sport
 
Oh, I see. Missed your point. You're asking why HD doesn't make a sport touring bike with their V-twin? I guess because sport tourers have been kicked to the curb in favor of ADVs. I think the ADV craze is driven by old guys who want to sit upright, but still want to be seen as cool. Kind of like when they were younger and didn't want to buy a station wagon, later a minivan, and instead bought an SUV so they could retain a shred of "cool" and thus a modicum of self-respect.
 
Stichill_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The other day I was thinking about this while out riding my ST1300. Looking down you can't see the motor in the ST, too much gas tank and fairing in the way, and I thought " what is with Harley?" ( or Indian for that matter). A bike like this could have a rubber mounted or counter balanced V twin engine in this bike, it could even be liquid cooled. The powerplant is really a small part of the whole package and a V twin could be hidden in a sport tourer or standard or ADV just like it is in a Suzuki v strom, KTM GT or Ducati Multistrada. I wonder if they ever even consider that? It's their loss that they don't.


The ferret_imp said:
The other day I was thinking about this while out riding my ST1300. Looking down you can't see the motor in the ST, too much gas tank and fairing in the way, and I thought " what is with Harley?" ( or Indian for that matter). A bike like this could have a rubber mounted or counter balanced V twin engine in this bike, it could even be liquid cooled. The powerplant is really a small part of the whole package and a V twin could be hidden in a sport tourer or standard or ADV just like it is in a Suzuki v strom, KTM GT or Ducati Multistrada. I wonder if they ever even consider that? It's their loss that they don't.
Doh! Oh well. :P


The ferret_imp said:
The other day I was thinking about this while out riding my ST1300. Looking down you can't see the motor in the ST, too much gas tank and fairing in the way, and I thought " what is with Harley?" ( or Indian for that matter). A bike like this could have a rubber mounted or counter balanced V twin engine in this bike, it could even be liquid cooled. The powerplant is really a small part of the whole package and a V twin could be hidden in a sport tourer or standard or ADV just like it is in a Suzuki v strom, KTM GT or Ducati Multistrada. I wonder if they ever even consider that? It's their loss that they don't.
Doh! Oh well. :P
Amazingly enough, the new venture is oil cooled.
 
I have no problems with ADV's except the sky high seat heights. Otherwise like you said they provide everything a sport tourer does only a little uglier lol
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The other day I was thinking about this while out riding my ST1300. Looking down you can't see the motor in the ST, too much gas tank and fairing in the way, and I thought " what is with Harley?" ( or Indian for that matter). A bike like this could have a rubber mounted or counter balanced V twin engine in this bike, it could even be liquid cooled. The powerplant is really a small part of the whole package and a V twin could be hidden in a sport tourer or standard or ADV just like it is in a Suzuki v strom, KTM GT or Ducati Multistrada. I wonder if they ever even consider that? It's their loss that they don't.


The ferret_imp said:
The other day I was thinking about this while out riding my ST1300. Looking down you can't see the motor in the ST, too much gas tank and fairing in the way, and I thought " what is with Harley?" ( or Indian for that matter). A bike like this could have a rubber mounted or counter balanced V twin engine in this bike, it could even be liquid cooled. The powerplant is really a small part of the whole package and a V twin could be hidden in a sport tourer or standard or ADV just like it is in a Suzuki v strom, KTM GT or Ducati Multistrada. I wonder if they ever even consider that? It's their loss that they don't.
Doh! Oh well. :P


The ferret_imp said:
The other day I was thinking about this while out riding my ST1300. Looking down you can't see the motor in the ST, too much gas tank and fairing in the way, and I thought " what is with Harley?" ( or Indian for that matter). A bike like this could have a rubber mounted or counter balanced V twin engine in this bike, it could even be liquid cooled. The powerplant is really a small part of the whole package and a V twin could be hidden in a sport tourer or standard or ADV just like it is in a Suzuki v strom, KTM GT or Ducati Multistrada. I wonder if they ever even consider that? It's their loss that they don't.
Doh! Oh well. :P
Amazingly enough, the new venture is oil cooled.
Doh! Oh well. :P
Amazingly enough, the new venture is oil cooled.
Yes indeed! That's why I said "Doh! Oh well." because it didn't meet Ferret's liquid-cooled criteria for a proper V-twin sport touring bike.
 
Liquid cooling is not my criteria, and it's the only thing that has given me any trouble on my ST ( thermostatstuck partially open and a water pump seal) which is a common problem on them, but for any mfg these days controlling engine heat is a priority, especially on long distance machines. Harley has already gone to partial water cooling on their touring V Twins which Is why I said it " could" even be watercooled. Plenty of places to stuff the radiator on a sport tourer... But it wouldn't HAVE to be water cooled.

But IMO Harley could build a sportier V twin with standard ergos, flatter seat, small fairing and bags, and probably do pretty well with it sales wise. If they had such a creature I certainly would not be adverse to giving one a spin, and if a good machine owning one. I don't dislike Harleys because they are Harleys, I dislike most Harleys because they are cruisers. I could buy a Honda or Yamaha crusier if I wanted a cruiser. I buy Hondas and Yamaha because they build bikes OTHER than cruisers
 
I suppose it's no surprise that we CB owners are challenged by the aesthetics of current ADV fashion, myself included.

As far as HD sticking to its core customer, those folks are getting older and dying off. Helmets off to HD for having the courage to evolve its model lineup with the times (though, arguably, it's still quite limited for those of us who don't care for cruisers).
 
Stichill_imp said:
Oh, I see. Missed your point. You're asking why HD doesn't make a sport touring bike with their V-twin? I guess because sport tourers have been kicked to the curb in favor of ADVs. I think the ADV craze is driven by old guys who want to sit upright, but still want to be seen as cool. Kind of like when they were younger and didn't want to buy a station wagon, later a minivan, and instead bought an SUV so they could retain a shred of "cool" and thus a modicum of self-respect.
Ahem...

My Ktm 990 Adventure was the best sports tourer I ever had.. I wanted something to tour on but still fun.. I bought it after seeing the 950 adv chase down a gsxr1000 at leguna seca with Avon roadmasters and it came with hard luggage. It could hold its own with any sportsbike. It's was incredibly well balanced and handled like a dream.

If I put dual sport scorpions on it, I could do fire roads and trails.. Yes, I actually took it off road.. It was literally the do anything bike.. It was awesome. The only reason I didn't keep it was that with two small kids I wasn't riding that much, and I could get a fair chunk of $ for it... The only drawback other than being tall, which was awesome while riding was literally climbing on and off it, was the maintenance. Synthetic oil, 2 oil filters. I kid you not an oil change was 2-3 hours with the crash bars. Basically, it was like dating a super model, got give em more attention

With kids and time constraints, I wanted an easy on and off bike, that was easy to maintain and had low maintence cost..Something basic I could throw a leg over at a moments notice, but was still cool, hence the cb1100. The Ktm had more of a pre flight checklist. Fine for long trip or ride, but a pita for the shorter rides.

I won't argue there are poseurs in the adv crowd. However, they are superior bikes for sport touring in a lot of ways, if you're not height challenged. When I used to be a hsta member (now msta), at rallies I saw one two many sport touring bikes, specifically the st1100 in a ditch.. While a fantastic bike for gobbling up miles, when the road gets twisty, its a handful. The Adv bikes don't have that problem. The only thing you sacrifice really is not getting a full fairing. When touring I wear an aerostich, so weather isn't an issue..
 
Back
Top