2018 cb1100rs first impressions...

Jfro5687_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Realise I am preaching to the converted with this but nevertheless I thought i would like to share my first impressions of my new bike with you. Just done 50 miles or so, lovely cool sunny day here, to get the mirrors/ levers/ foot pedals adjusted to where i like them. Just to add reference i traded my Hayabusa in for this. Here goes.....extremely easy to ride, feels very nimble and nothing like the 250kg we know it weighs! Lovely snicky gearbox, Light controls, i personally love the high gearing. Very strong brakes, very plush suspension. I took it along very familiar roads and it was probably the most comfortable of anything i have ridden before. Engine a bit more buzzy than i expected actually BUT if I short shift and click between 5th and 6th on back roads its sublime. I know i am getting old because i like the fact its not noisy, its just a much more pleasant experience to waft along country lanes. Believe it or not a white lamborghini came screaming up behind me and then flew past at warp factor 9, clearly driven by a knob-head. on the busa that might have bugged me but not on my gentlemans express, nothing to prove to anyone. I pulled up behind him a couple of miles later at traffic lights by the way :celebrate: So, to summarise, as long as nothing goes wrong to sour the experience I think i could really get to like this bike and it could finally be a keeper. A shout out to Mr Kiddo here, as he said on his youtube video don't rely on the fact sheet because numbers do not mean a thing. They dont. This is a LOVELY bike.
 
switched from a Busa huh? what an unusual transition. All the folks i know in the US that own a Busa would sneer at my CB11.

Also, they really need to release the RS in north America. come on Honda. I'm over here adding up how many parts i'd need to convert my std into an RS.
 
Thread starter
Hi there still on line....yea I did switch from the busa but its for the usual reasons. In the UK you cannot open one up anywhere (unless on a motorway or similar) because the roads are poor, we have speed cameras everywhere and there's probably a tractor waiting to pull out on you around the next bend. If you get caught over a 100mph you generally get banned and depending upon circumstances could go to prison. Seriously. Most country roads are 60mph or less, often 40mph and a bit like modern litre sportbikes you do feel whats the point? The busa was awesome. The end. But i am looking for a different experience with this and going back to basics. I was born in 1969 so grew up as a schoolboy seeing Z1's and CB750's, GT750 kettles etc so this is really about nostalgia too....
 
yes a totally unappreciated motorcycle by the press and the unknowing.

but we know better .................
 
Good choice, Jfro. If I recall aright, use2b came to the CB1100 from a busa.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
switched from a Busa huh? what an unusual transition. All the folks i know in the US that own a Busa would sneer at my CB11.

Also, they really need to release the RS in north America. come on Honda. I'm over here adding up how many parts i'd need to convert my std into an RS.
Probably would be cheaper to buy one in Canada. The Canadian price is $13,700, that's about $10,300 American.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
switched from a Busa huh? what an unusual transition. All the folks i know in the US that own a Busa would sneer at my CB11.

Also, they really need to release the RS in north America. come on Honda. I'm over here adding up how many parts i'd need to convert my std into an RS.
Wrong = I went from owning a Busa and a BMW R1200R to the CB1100
with no regrets
 
Thread starter
baxtercat_imp said:
quick question, jfro. is your headlight bucket black? and is it plastic?
Hi,

Yes it is black plastic but dont let that concern you, the bike seems to be very nicely made indeed and put together well.

Kind regards john
 
use2b_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
switched from a Busa huh? what an unusual transition. All the folks i know in the US that own a Busa would sneer at my CB11.

Also, they really need to release the RS in north America. come on Honda. I'm over here adding up how many parts i'd need to convert my std into an RS.
Wrong = I went from owning a Busa and a BMW R1200R to the CB1100
with no regrets
Oh, i wasn't speaking about any forum folks, mind you. the Kind of people i encounter on a Busa are the ones i encounter where I live, who usually have them stretched with enormous back tires and LEDs and custom paint jobs. and they ride around with no helmet and shorts on. Kind of a different culture than what I see in that picture, you look like a, shall we say, more adult Busa owner :-p.
 
I'm kinda glad the RS is not available here. It's bad enough the EX is - the temptation there is manageable. So far.

The RS would be very hard to manage. :D
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
Hi there still on line....yea I did switch from the busa but its for the usual reasons. In the UK you cannot open one up anywhere (unless on a motorway or similar) because the roads are poor, we have speed cameras everywhere and there's probably a tractor waiting to pull out on you around the next bend. If you get caught over a 100mph you generally get banned and depending upon circumstances could go to prison. Seriously. Most country roads are 60mph or less, often 40mph and a bit like modern litre sportbikes you do feel whats the point? The busa was awesome. The end. But i am looking for a different experience with this and going back to basics. I was born in 1969 so grew up as a schoolboy seeing Z1's and CB750's, GT750 kettles etc so this is really about nostalgia too....
Dang, now you're limited to a mere 112 mph or so (you could still go to jail). Take it easy. And don't worry, you'll still catch up with that Lambo.
 
I'm the proud owner of a 2014 DLX, a Hayabusa, a Blackbird, a Harley Deuce, and a PC800. Each is suited to a different mode of travel and different riding friends who own similar bikes. The one I ride most for my personal pleasure is without doubt the CB1100. Just the sweetest ride I've ever known.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
switched from a Busa huh? what an unusual transition. All the folks i know in the US that own a Busa would sneer at my CB11.

Also, they really need to release the RS in north America. come on Honda. I'm over here adding up how many parts i'd need to convert my std into an RS.
Wrong = I went from owning a Busa and a BMW R1200R to the CB1100
with no regrets
Oh, i wasn't speaking about any forum folks, mind you. the Kind of people i encounter on a Busa are the ones i encounter where I live, who usually have them stretched with enormous back tires and LEDs and custom paint jobs. and they ride around with no helmet and shorts on. Kind of a different culture than what I see in that picture, you look like a, shall we say, more adult Busa owner :-p.
SAME. Gotta love the South. Or not, lol.
 
I just bought my 2017 EX brand new last week, after really being taken by them since they were introduced last year. While the RS has some things to like, I'd be surprised if it makes its way to the US. I get the impression that the EX is not doing that well in the US market. It has a pretty high msrp for a standard (or some say retro) bike, no doubt due to all the high quality components and finishes--but it makes it a hard sell. This is especially so with all the leftover CB1100s being offered new for thousands less than a new EX. For me personally, I would have chosen the EX over the RS even if we could buy an RS in the States, because it's what I wanted. That is why I paid all the extra money for an EX over a new from the crate leftover earlier bike. I suppose getting seduced by beauty with expensive consequences can happen with bikes too.....
 
apex1_imp said:
I just bought my 2017 EX brand new last week, after really being taken by them since they were introduced last year. While the RS has some things to like, I'd be surprised if it makes its way to the US. I get the impression that the EX is not doing that well in the US market. It has a pretty high msrp for a standard (or some say retro) bike, no doubt due to all the high quality components and finishes--but it makes it a hard sell. This is especially so with all the leftover CB1100s being offered new for thousands less than a new EX. For me personally, I would have chosen the EX over the RS even if we could buy an RS in the States, because it's what I wanted. That is why I paid all the extra money for an EX over a new from the crate leftover earlier bike. I suppose getting seduced by beauty with expensive consequences can happen with bikes too.....
Nothing wrong with being seduced by beauty so long as you understand what you are doing. My heart wants the 2017 EX. My brain says that for $4,700 less the 2014 Standard is a much smarter choice.

I have even created a spreadsheet attaching a value to each of the advantages of the 2017 over the 2014 standard to try to convince my brain to go along with my heart. But my brain is fighting back.

Arrrrggg..... logic and reason is so annoying.
 
Sorg67_imp said:
apex1_imp said:
I just bought my 2017 EX brand new last week, after really being taken by them since they were introduced last year. While the RS has some things to like, I'd be surprised if it makes its way to the US. I get the impression that the EX is not doing that well in the US market. It has a pretty high msrp for a standard (or some say retro) bike, no doubt due to all the high quality components and finishes--but it makes it a hard sell. This is especially so with all the leftover CB1100s being offered new for thousands less than a new EX. For me personally, I would have chosen the EX over the RS even if we could buy an RS in the States, because it's what I wanted. That is why I paid all the extra money for an EX over a new from the crate leftover earlier bike. I suppose getting seduced by beauty with expensive consequences can happen with bikes too.....
Nothing wrong with being seduced by beauty so long as you understand what you are doing. My heart wants the 2017 EX. My brain says that for $4,700 less the 2014 Standard is a much smarter choice.

I have even created a spreadsheet attaching a value to each of the advantages of the 2017 over the 2014 standard to try to convince my brain to go along with my heart. But my brain is fighting back.

Arrrrggg..... logic and reason is so annoying.
Nothing wrong with being seduced by beauty so long as you understand what you are doing. My heart wants the 2017 EX. My brain says that for $4,700 less the 2014 Standard is a much smarter choice.

I have even created a spreadsheet attaching a value to each of the advantages of the 2017 over the 2014 standard to try to convince my brain to go along with my heart. But my brain is fighting back.

Arrrrggg..... logic and reason is so annoying.
I hear you. How much value do you add to the pro-EX column for the fact that life is short? So far the amount of buyer's remorse I have for getting the 2017 EX is precisely none. I don't know how good a deal I got, but I don't mind sharing that I paid $9,800 plus the Honda destination charge which was around $350 (I don't remember exactly), plus state and local sales tax and the $36 fee the State of Ohio charges for the title work.
 
Sorg, buy the 2017. You’ll regret it if you don’t.
 
Back
Top