2018 CB1000R first ride reviews

VLJ_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
https://www.superbike.co.uk/bike-tests/new-bike-news/2018-honda-cb1000r-first-ride-review/

Honda CB1000R (2018-2021) Review | Speed, Specs & Prices

2018 Honda CB1000R: First impressions

The 2018 Honda CB1000R – First Ride Impressions!

Hey, looky there! The CB1000R uses the same heated grips with the green indicator light that's on my '17 CB1100 EX. I guess the parts guy where I bought my bike wasn't blowing smoke up my behind when he said these new, hotter grips with the green light are the latest factory spec from Honda...

7c032e6a5c3091ad5c4712ee06e483e5.jpg


Anyway, I think Honda will have a nice little hit on their hands with this bike. I agree with the testers who say that the CB1000R is aimed more at the RnineT, Thruxton R, Z900RS, and Scrambler/Monster 1100 than the super nakeds such as the Tuono R, Super Duke R, S1000R, and MT-10. As such, it will bury the former while acquitting itself quite well against the latter.

What has me drooling over this bike is the same thing that won me over regarding the '17 CB1100 EX: the amazing overall fit and finish, and the extraordinary level of refinement. This new CB looks to be an absolute jewel.

It also helps that I like its looks a whole lot more than those of the BMW, Kawi, and either Ducati. I admire the looks of the Triumph, but I still prefer the Honda.

Speaking of Triumph, probably the bike that is truly the closest competition for the CB1000R is not the Thruxton R, but the Speed Triple. Similar weight, power, seating position, refinement, and price. The Triumph with its barking Triple probably has more of a distinct personality, but all things being equal I'd still take the Honda. The only somewhat similar bike that I might take over this Honda is the S1000R, but only if BMW eliminated the excessive engine buzz while also raising the bars. I think they've fixed the first issue, but those bars are still too aggressive for my fused-and-plated-together neck.

For that matter, the seating position on this new CB may also be too aggressive for my neck. Otherwise, it's the current leader in the clubhouse.

In case you can't tell, yep, I'm a big fan. In place of my XSR900 I would love to have a black CB1000R sitting beside my dazzling red CB1100 EX. Two high-class Hondas: one CB that's fast, agile, thoroughly modern, and absolutely bad to the bone; the other CB being the prettiest, most painstakingly refined, deep-down real retro on the planet.
 
Nice looking bike but I disagree somewhat on its appeal.

Keep in mind this my opinion and I am fully cognizant of the fact that most of you are probably far more in tune with the current market trends than I but this how I see it:

I think the CB1000R will be a marginal seller much like the CB1100 for some of the same reasons. For people who just like standard bikes (like me) the CB1000R is slightly too aggressive in its seating position, has far more power than I need and the extra cost for stuff I don't use (riding modes, etc) will turn me away.

On the other hand, the "super naked" crowd will take one look at the spec sheet and discount it out of hand because it says 143hp and not 150hp or 178hp.

That's just my take, feel free to call me a moron.
 
Knowing Honda it will be a fabulous bike. I'll have to see one in person, but in pictures, to me, it's just not a very attractive bike. Too edgy for me. Looks like something my nephew would build with the help of a sawzall. Bet it functions well though, like all Hondas. Not the lightest, not the most power, but the easiest to live with on a daily basis.
 
Thread starter
W/R Wrote:For people who just like standard bikes (like me) the CB1000R is slightly too aggressive in its seating position
Might very well prove to be the case with me, as well.

Quote:On the other hand, the "super naked" crowd will take one look at the spec sheet and discount it out of hand because it says 143hp and (not—sic) 150hp or 178hp.
Agreed. No doubt this will also happen.

Here is where I think the Honda will score big, with both camps. On the one hand, the CB has far more power and performance than the "retro-sports" such as the Z900RS, XSR900, Thruxton R, RnineT, etc. Plus, it's a Honda. Regarding the super nakeds, the Honda still has more than enough power and performance to sate the appetites of most people, and it looks so much better than the others, with the possible exception of the Aprilia. Plus, again, it's a Honda, and it's different. It's unique.

For some people, the fact that it's a highly refined, good-looking Honda and not a cost-prohibitive, Transformer-looking thing will be the difference maker.
 
To me it looks like the UJM evolved without going through the sport bike phase, the ADV phase, or the Transformers phase. It just looks like a modern motorcycle stripped of inessentials.
 
I'm not especially fond of the styling but I'm probably not the intended customer. Interesting how they adopted the R1200GS / Ducati Scrambler rear "fender."
 
What I see is a bike that apparently is a whole lot faster and capable at the extreme sporting end than the CB1100 but a lot less practical in real world riding. Adorned with a number of styling cues that I wouldn't be able to get past. I do like the wheels though. As Long Ranger stated previous to my post I'm probably not the target demographic they're going after either.
 
I’m betting the similarly-styled 2019 CB300R will be a hot seller in the US. Apparently it’s doing very well in Europe.
 
I like the look. I guess there are some similarities between it and some other bikes, but it’s a pretty distinctive look and one that appeals to me. I’m going to send pics of this and the 300 to my 24yo son and see what he thinks of the styling. As a few others have said, Honda doesn’t really care if it appeals to the dad-bod set
 
Thread starter
Quote:Honda doesn’t really care if it appeals to the dad-bod set
Which is putting it politely, for the majority of this forum.
 
Thread starter
In the same way that some people get the idea behind the CB1100 and some don't, this guy seems to get the CB1000R...

 
Back
Top