2017 West Coast Rally

kennyw

Road warrior
Thread starter
I started out around 7am from home near Seattle, WA. The plan was to ride 575 miles straight to Salmon, ID. Then, check in and meet the group for dinner at 7pm. The route was mostly interstate with no scenic stops.





The only trouble I ran into was when I turned south at Missoula. Thunder storms were rolling through south of the interstate and I had forgot to pack my rain gear. I had also hit stop and go traffic on Hwy 93 heading south. At least I was able to look at the weather radar when traffic was stopped.

I was able to duck into a gas station right before the first storm hit. I watched the radar and it looked like I had a gap before the next storm cell hit and headed out for Lolo. Unfortunately, there is a lag time in the online radar and the vehicles around me were also splashing water at me from the sides. I ended up soaked everywhere my chaps and mesh jacket liner did not cover. I managed to drain the excess water off at the gas station in Lolo then headed south during the next break in heavy rain.

Once south of Lolo, the skies cleared and the 80 degree air dried me out quickly. I made good time but realized I forgot about losing an hour in the time zone change when I planned the route.

Approaching the final pass before entering Idaho, I stopped for fuel and could see one more major storm cell along my route. I also noticed my chain getting noisy so I took 15 minutes to adjust and lubricate it before heading out again (I made sure to bring enough tools for the job, just in case).

Approaching Gibbons Pass, I could see lightning and what looked like heavy rain in the mountains. But I wasn't getting wet so I continued riding. I ended up going through the tail end of the storm. It was raining heavy enough to make things interesting on 25 mph hairpin turns but I managed to stay dry thanks to aerodynamics of my small fairing and the gear I did have on.

I arrived for dinner at 8pm and managed to catch the group as they were ordering dessert.
Day two had more time for pictures.

I was up at 6am and headed out to the pond with some coffee and my camera. A few weary travelers from up north decided to join me.





Breakfast was at 8:30am and we gathered with the group shortly after that. Karl, kvdv has the group photo with everyone in it.


Left to right Mike, JonZ, Kvdv, kennyw, flynrider.
We decided to take a route recommended by our host heading to Shoup, ID. The road starts out as pavement but turns to gravel (although, very nice gravel).



Our plan was to ride out to some Indian paintings on the rocks but the road turned to poor conditions before we found them.



 
Sounds like you guys are having a great time. :beerchug:
 
Indeed! ( well except for the rain on the way up kenny)
 
Thread starter
Really, the rain didn't bother me as much as forgetting my rain gear at home.
 
Thread starter
Friday's ride was finished off with a late lunch. Then a quick stop back at the resort. Flynrider and I took a short ride up to the top of Lost Trail pass while the others took a break before dinner at the Broken Arrow restaurant. While stopped at a scenic overlook, a black CB1100 rode by before we could wave him over.
 
Thread starter
There is more to come. I still need to download photos from my camera.
 
Looking forward to them. :D
 
Same here. Mine will have to wait until I get home and empty the camera into the computer. Probably next week.

Here's where I am now



Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
My host for a gathering in Grants Pass, OR emailed to warn me that the fires are causing heavy smoke and closed roads, and advised I not ride out that way.

How is it further North? The pictures of your ride to the rally look like clear weather.
Jim
 
Thread starter
Lolo, MT and south have a few forest road closers but not main routes. At one point Hwy 12 was closed near Lolo due to a close fire that is now contained.
 
Thanks, Jon. Pictures number 4 and 7 would be worthy entries to the monthly photo comp.
 
Thanks for looking, but wait, the photos that John, Karl, and Kenny-
( some of the best guys you'll ever meet)- are the shots I wanna see!
Lisa probably got a few good ones as well. Thanks for coming with your Indian!
Jon Z
 
Awesome! So cool to see all those beautiful bikes lined up in a row. Hopefully, this will be a yearly event and I can make it next time around.
 
Before I add some photos to the report, I want to echo other statements about Kenny's efforts on the rally. Thanks to him we had a wonderful place to stay, great group rides, awesome t-shirts, door prizes and more. Bravo, Kenny!

My wife and I actually left Seattle on Sunday 20th with the hopes of stopping through Helena before the rally to visit a friend. Due to smoke/fire issues, we never made it to Helena but took a great route with overnight stops in Moses Lake, WA > Joseph, OR > McCall, ID > Stanley, ID > Salmon, ID (rally!) > Clarkston, WA > back home.

Weather was great, even hot much of the time. On Monday 21st we stopped near a golf course in eastern WA to watch the eclipse. My wife Lisa rode her custom-painted 2015 Scout and I was on my 2014 DLX...and as usual she and her bike got all the attention everywhere we went, but that's ok with me : )

And without further adieu, following are just some of the shots I took along the way, mostly in order; I'll have to post more later today when I have a bit more time. Enjoy! - kvdv

89ab05f1e865e7e02abefd514e91c0ef.jpg


c5096bea1d6363b5587b41702828cc84.jpg


e74c2fcce60e798f3b59f189d59b0615.jpg


7ac89ba38a0caf214b80375d4eed126b.jpg


35e816d33ba0b250183d1f5874ec6540.jpg


fb8b3e49d6e135f99fd13c5b20c9da5b.jpg


cc564f612e5152c2ac7e65b9710676a3.jpg


56c86f8b7706201e9c304ddad01fea0a.jpg


58e4d9d38e0b75d8d14e409f7fe1e3df.jpg


6701cfa27133d33ac7100076ede274b8.jpg
 
Here are a few more shots from our journey and the rally...enjoy! - kvdv

baaa97e5426ddd73955044eb95b87476.jpg


04edd10a709bafb802bad459741f0acb.jpg


8ffc0576245ccd18d015537680ed1c4e.jpg


6c1d6ebf10e5eacc4255d85d8e4817be.jpg


45314c66f1e004630ceccbbe12b16e71.jpg


2598ad9510414253e0e7feb274f22f3f.jpg


43dceb04afab0048713edb5c8f2f3bce.jpg


6a881de5a06b114b45569372998f2cc0.jpg


bf336ffb3f4c1dd5e8cf6584913fb0c7.jpg


7d0f26470c40c659dd4b93e12eb654d3.jpg


e45469998489f1f79796fa7ad2874394.jpg


a5ac5bb273775adb63bf1d25b85a065f.jpg

...and some more... - kvdv

3b2e65298b13f61325d51273037a1c40.jpg


894b7c92bce25a4d96bd5051ff5c99bb.jpg


2ec1f5de053e18e84d1598fba1ea4689.jpg


aaeaa372bc0a8e5183e5c1f26815649b.jpg


4cfa47cb13383c936521407ca1b1617b.jpg


6182e82544b3df22dcff8f73ce6d3b20.jpg


0da7fb03e1a5f35d11eff0c6a19760a4.jpg


322b1c387dc3546bd8629a4c97d0c600.jpg


312870e5117be1b402850a3b0d36b353.jpg


7566c49055a6ffd5ae977b1344faf01c.jpg

...last batch! - kvdv

32f65dd2011c6168e989eb646f1d695e.jpg


d98180e7fe6abb126a2a7fd5d0429173.jpg


133bcc22626a1d0b04206470e252371c.jpg


adf0eb50ea75886337865b99a26501d9.jpg


cb12c1819554d478cbfa14ef653ae35a.jpg


aca93e23c54cf3363c34bd3c6d57db43.jpg


6be2440164e2e7c10e8b6162ad568bff.jpg


9588931fe46758a6457b1646473201ef.jpg


At last, back in Washington and heading home to Seattle:
b5b3317bac3f4a3bfc0b981841e7a8ff.jpg
 
Back
Top