2017 MY CB headlight upgrade.

17-CB-002

Been there
Thread starter
Good Day,  

Most owners of 2017 Cb already knows that the LED headlight performance is not up to par.

So I am thinking of replacing the headlight "glass" unit on my 2017 CB with a projector LED type.

I did a quick measurement and I am not 100% sure on the exact measurement of the "glass", it roughly measured between 6.5" to 7.0".

I did not remove the chrome bezel, so my measurement is not that accurate.

I am in process of analyzing the weird headlight wiring set-up (8-wires) and confirm where I can tap into the original harness.

Anyone knows the exact diameter of the headlight glass?

Any help is appreciated.
 
Alain, didn't we already go through this a long while ago...???

YZckKbC.jpg



W7dVewj.jpg
^^THIS^^ is your hand written diagram.....and some of my notes...


....and this one bellow is a German or Austrian member and my hand notes...
Bn1fIvN.jpg



..and these bellow are my hard copy notes..
MwwSCpy.jpg


wWsWukx.jpg


As far as I nremember this project has never been materialized, correct???
 
Thread starter
peterbaron said:
Alain, didn't we already go through this a long while ago...???
^^THIS^^ is your hand written diagram.....and some of my notes...
....and this one bellow is a German or Austrian member and my hand notes...
..and these bellow are my hard copy notes..
As far as I nremember this project has never been materialized, correct???
As far as I nremember this project has never been materialized, correct???


No I did not do the modification - too chicken to splice through the original factory wiring

This time I will go through (after some nighttime riding).
 
I didn't know a headlight wiring could be so complicated! I'm used to the three-wire connections: One wire for the ground, one wire for low beam, and one wire for high beam.
 
Many 2017 EX owners have complained about the standard LED bulb performance, including myself.  It has gaping holes in the low beam pattern, and not seemingly very bright except on high beam, absolutely the worst light I can recall.  The H4 lights on the 2013-2014 are far superior as far as a wide pattern with no holes - not LED brightness, but safer overall.  

I've looked at retro-fitting the 2013-2014 light to my 2017, but there are problems.  The headlight shell only takes the standard headlight rim that is common to all 3 years of US market CB1100s.  They have integral mounting pivots and beam adjuster, so there is no way to mount any other reflector/beam setup.   

Because comparable LEDs use around 1/4 -1/3 the amperage, the circuit's wiring is much smaller gauge, maybe a 22-24 gauge.  Low beam is on all the time, and the starter switch no longer needs to cut out the headlight when cranking.  High beam is on a separate fused 10 amp circuit.

If I were to revert to an H4 bulb, I would be inclined to use a headlight relay.  Or I could install an aftermarket LED replacement for the H4, but they have their own  quirks, needing heat sinks or cooling fans, or a modulator box.  There are NO brand name LEDs.  I'll still keep trying to pursue this avenue.
 
Copy that.
 
pekingduck said:
Many 2017 EX owners have complained about the standard LED bulb performance, .......
Because comparable LEDs use around 1/4 -1/3 the amperage, the circuit's wiring is much smaller gauge, maybe a 22-24 gauge.  Low beam is on all the time, and the starter switch no longer needs to cut out the headlight when cranking.  High beam is on a separate fused 10 amp circuit.

If I were to revert to an H4 bulb, I would be inclined to use a headlight relay.  ........

Absolutely!
 
One of my reservations about an LED/H4 conversion was the quality of bulbs available - too many unknown/untested companies.  But I did find 2 from reputable companies - Phillips and Hella.  Both have self-contained drivers and integral cooling fans and 19-20 watts of power draw.  Both about $50 a pair.  Might throw the other one in the Ducati.
 

Attachments

  • bulbs.webp
    bulbs.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 54
I was running  auxito h4 led on my '14 std and stll running on my dlx, no issues, total over 35,000 kms
 
Which type of Auxito did you guys run?  I like the integrated design, but leery of having no cooling fan.
When Halogen H4 bulbs fail, it's one filament at a time. When LEDs fail, it's usually the internal driver, from heat, and all LEDs are lost.
 

Attachments

  • Auxito.webp
    Auxito.webp
    71.7 KB · Views: 42
Linkie no workie. :)
 
m in sc said:
always buy them in 2 packs. way, way cheaper.

https://ebay.us/m/M2n8G4

A better deal, to be sure.   

But here's a little side-rant. I've had problems with sellers that say they're US based, and then had to wait as it's dropped shipped from China.  A lot of those sellers are based in Rowland Heights (remember that name), a suburb 20 miles from me.  They e-mail their company in China, who ships it by China Post for much, much less.  By a reciprocating agreement, the USPS must forward it, and the US loses money with each delivery.  And no way can you expect to return the item.
 
Back
Top