2017 Motorcycling Resolutions

The ferret_imp said:
I hope to ride at least 20K again in 2017 so of course that is goal #1.

I plan on going to the CB rally and riding in Arkansas

I 'd like to hit a few of the 7 states I have not ridden in (North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska in the plains states.. and on the eastern seaboard, Delaware, Rhode Island, New Jersey and Conn, completing the lower 48 states). Those could be done in 2 trips.

I'd like to hit 100,000 miles on the ST which would require riding it just under 17K miles

I'm going to wash both bikes at least once lol

Some successes

On yesterday's ride I turned over 20,026 for the year, so goal #1 met, with 4 months to go in the year. So I will up that goal to 25K.

I rode to the Ark rally and rode in Arkansas, so goal #2 met

I also made it to Nebraska (so only 6 states more to go). Still going to take 2 more trips. goal #3 dented but not completed

Also rode some mountain passes in Colorado which wasn't on my goal list but something I wanted to do, and thanks to LongRanger and Offroad got that done as well.

On tomorrows ride I should hit 96,000 on the ST, so only 4k more to go to reach 100K and have 4 months to get that done in order to meet that goal. goal #4 is in sight.

Looks like I may surpass last years high of number of days ridden in one year. I think last year I managed to ride 323 days. Today was day 217 ridden this year and there are approx 123 days left so a possible 340 days? ( doubt that number will happen but should be able to beat 323)

Oh yea, pretty sure the CB got washed at least once. NOt sure about the ST though. Lol
 
Well looking back I guess I crushed my resolutions. I read the books went to the schools and added a track day to boot. At this point in my second season of riding I have 45000 kilometres under my belt, 4 safety books read, two advanced courses and two track days. A lot of folks around here wouldn't ride 45k in ten years nor continue to educate themselves beyond the minimum. I have significantly increased my control of the motorcycle, my knowledge and safety awareness on the road and my confidence and enjoyment of motorcycling continues to grow. I have a couple more excursions planned before the season winds down around here, and I guess the 2018 riding resolutions to plan.
 
Well, by the 23rd of this month I should meet the goal I re-set on 8/26 (post 22) of 25,000 miles for this year AND should hit 100,000 on the ST. Today is riding day # 264 for the year so far. It would be 343 days out of 365 if I could run the table. A good year by any measure!

Rubber down! (as my wife says everyday when I take off)
 
So, what happens to our vicarious friend the ST when it hits 100,000 miles? Is it off to the dealer to be unceremoniously dumped and replaced with something more modern? Or will you continue to explore the better roads of the US together?
 
I already have it scheduled for some much needed and preventative maintenance..new tires front and rear, brakes front and rear, front and rear wheel bearings and seals, repack steering head bearings, new fork seals and fork oil, new spark plugs, new air cleaner, new clutch and brake fluids, new engine coolant, oil and filter change, rear drive fluid change

Then... Going to try for 150,000 miles, but no rush lol. Just before I turn 70. That'll give me 2 1/2 years. It will also give Honda some time to get off it's butt and build a suitable replacement for me.lol something a little lighter ... but just as capable.

As of today less than 492 miles to go. (not sure the back tire is going to make it. All semblance of a tread pattern is rapidly dissapearing lol.)
 
When tyres get near the end they see to decay much more rapidly. Glad to hear you're planning to keep it a while.
 
It's been a great bike and we really love it. The only bike my wife feels comfortable riding on the back of these days. We, we being wife and I, have been waffling whether to buy a used low mile ST or put some money into this one. I found a 2012, last year they made it, with 1100 miles on it in for $7500 in Virginia but I let it slip through my fingers. Found an 05 with 20K on it in Oregon for $6K. Not comfortable buying without seeing even though people do it all the time anymore, so in the end, we decided to work on this one and keep it.
 
My 2017 resolution was to ride twice a week: one day just to ride and another to fish. But the weather was terrible this summer: cold and rainy.

Just rolled over 9400 kilometers on the EX. If the weather holds for a month I may make my 11,000 kilometer - 6835 mile season average.

Only went fishing three times, all in a car. Spent 5 days at West Lake. The fishing was decent, and I caught at least one of each species of fish that the lake would hold. I should spend more time at the local dam, instead of at my computer.
 
another month in the books

Numbers for October

31 of 31 days ridden
1763 miles on ST
388 miles on CB
2151 miles

Numbers for Year

282 out of 304 days ridden
16,904 miles on ST
8,788 miles on CB
25,692 miles

Since I surpassed the re-set goal of 25,000, (and 100K on the ST) I'm not going to set another goal for mileage for the year, what it ends up, it ends up. In 2014 I rode 27,053 miles and I should be able to top that by a bit.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
1. To ride at least once per month to continue my streak
2. To complete my SS1000 by riding around Lake Michigan while raising funds for a local agency which assists people with developmental disabilities.
3. To attend the Arkansas Rally
4. To ride 9,000 miles (my average has been a little less than 7,000)
5. To ride with my wife again
6. To ride during the solar eclipse on 8/21/17
7. ???? TBD :) :biker:
All 7 checked. #2 was my proudest single accomplishment as a rider thus far. #5 was the highlight of my year. #4 was a good target as I’m at 9700 for the year. Gonna try for 10,000.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
As I write this, it is 2017 already for some of our members and it will soon be thus for all of us. It is tradition to make resolutions, vows, plans, and set goals for the upcoming year, so what are your "resolutions' in regards to motorcycling? Resolving to get more training? Vowing to take that big trip? Planning to buy another motorcycle? Setting a goal to ride a certain number of miles? Whatever they are, consider sharing them in this thread to reinforce them to yourself and to, perhaps, inspire others.

A very happy, healthy, and safe new year to you all!!
My plans for 2018 or '19...dream trip #1 is: Germany - Switzerland - Liechtenstein/CH - Italy - Slovenia - Austria - Czech & Slovak - Poland - back to Germany with my own '13 CB...last two years failed...and this season was very SLOW... only about 7ooo km, too many rainy days and cold:@
After this, #2 is entire Grand Canyon tour....
Let's see what can be achieved, cuz time is running out :huh:
Good luck and trouble free motoring to you all !!
:biker:
 
EmptySea_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
1. To ride at least once per month to continue my streak
2. To complete my SS1000 by riding around Lake Michigan while raising funds for a local agency which assists people with developmental disabilities.
3. To attend the Arkansas Rally
4. To ride 9,000 miles (my average has been a little less than 7,000)
5. To ride with my wife again
6. To ride during the solar eclipse on 8/21/17
7. ???? TBD :) :biker:
All 7 checked. #2 was my proudest single accomplishment as a rider thus far. #5 was the highlight of my year. #4 was a good target as I’m at 9700 for the year. Gonna try for 10,000.
All 7 checked. #2 was my proudest single accomplishment as a rider thus far. #5 was the highlight of my year. #4 was a good target as I’m at 9700 for the year. Gonna try for 10,000.
Maybe I’m missing something, but can we have more information on #7, please?
 
Way to go Sea! I know # 2 and #5 were very important to you.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
1. To ride at least once per month to continue my streak
2. To complete my SS1000 by riding around Lake Michigan while raising funds for a local agency which assists people with developmental disabilities.
3. To attend the Arkansas Rally
4. To ride 9,000 miles (my average has been a little less than 7,000)
5. To ride with my wife again
6. To ride during the solar eclipse on 8/21/17
7. ???? TBD :) :biker:
All 7 checked. #2 was my proudest single accomplishment as a rider thus far. #5 was the highlight of my year. #4 was a good target as I’m at 9700 for the year. Gonna try for 10,000.
All 7 checked. #2 was my proudest single accomplishment as a rider thus far. #5 was the highlight of my year. #4 was a good target as I’m at 9700 for the year. Gonna try for 10,000.
Maybe I’m missing something, but can we have more information on #7, please?
Maybe I’m missing something, but can we have more information on #7, please?
Lol. I should have said “6”. Although, I did add 3 more resolutions to my list a view posts later in the thread: get a new camera, get a new helmet, get a new Bluetooth device. I got the helmet, but still working on the other two.
——————-———

I’ll start a new “Resolution” thread on 1/1/18.
 
Good news... I will set a new record for me on mileage this year (since I started keeping track in 2006). My previous record was 27,053 miles in 2014 (the year my buddy Jnor and I rode out to California).

Yesterday I turned over 27,035. Today I will surpass 2014's record and still have over a month to ride before the end of the year.... woohoo... Might get close to 29,000 this year if the weather holds.
 
That’s outstanding Ferret ! And something for me to look forward to when I retire! Keep it up. I am currently only on a 6k to 7k a year clip... working for a living thing really puts a damper on riding....lol. I do get to enjoy the bike all 12 months of the year though!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
1. To ride at least once per month to continue my streak
2. To complete my SS1000 by riding around Lake Michigan while raising funds for a local agency which assists people with developmental disabilities.
3. To attend the Arkansas Rally
4. To ride 9,000 miles (my average has been a little less than 7,000)
5. To ride with my wife again
6. To ride during the solar eclipse on 8/21/17
7. ???? TBD :) :biker:
All 7 checked. #2 was my proudest single accomplishment as a rider thus far. #5 was the highlight of my year. #4 was a good target as I’m at 9700 for the year. Gonna try for 10,000.
All 7 checked. #2 was my proudest single accomplishment as a rider thus far. #5 was the highlight of my year. #4 was a good target as I’m at 9700 for the year. Gonna try for 10,000.
So, I forgot that my 2017 goal (#4) was 9,000 miles. I'm 34 miles short of 10,000, which should happen while completing #1 for the year. It's nowhere near The Ferret's mileage, but not bad for a working guy who doesn't ride to work.
 
Not bad at all Sea, not bad at all.
 
Back
Top