2017 More Power...?

dbarkdoll_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I have noticed in a few instances online that the 2017 CB is claimed to make more power than the preceding models. Does anyone know the specifics/validity of that claim?

I realize I could easily do my own homework on this matter, but out of laziness/boredom I have decided to post here instead. Plus I’m curious to see how this thread will progress and or digress. :P
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
I have noticed in a few instances online that the 2017 CB is claimed to make more power than the preceding models. Does anyone know the specifics/validity of that claim?

I realize I could easily do my own homework on this matter, but out of laziness/boredom I have decided to post here instead. Plus I’m curious to see how this thread will progress and or digress. :P
By how MANY HP more, please ??:huh:

pb
 
According to one on-line article the RS is 89 HP and 555# wet.
A 2014 is 86 HP and 540# wet.

HP is an increase of 3.49%
Weight is an increase of 2.78%
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
dbarkdoll_imp said:
I have noticed in a few instances online that the 2017 CB is claimed to make more power than the preceding models. Does anyone know the specifics/validity of that claim?

I realize I could easily do my own homework on this matter, but out of laziness/boredom I have decided to post here instead. Plus I’m curious to see how this thread will progress and or digress. :P
By how MANY HP more, please ??:huh:

pb
By how MANY HP more, please ??:huh:

pb

That’s the thing, I’m not sure. Basically what I’m trying to figure out. And how Honda has coaxed those few purported HPs out of the engine.
 
FEW ponies more at 86 or 89 means ZERO to me, I drop a gear to match these 3 HP by increasing RPM without changing my speed

pb
 
As currently noted elsewhere on this forum, dyno readings aren't likely going to be very consistent from one machine to the next (or from one operator to the next from the sounds of it). The difference in power is probably negated by the difference in weight so I wouldn't want to base a decision to purchase on the supposed "power increase". However, if you prefer the looks or other features of the 2017 EX (there were definitely other more notable changes made in 2017) over another year model, then I'd say you'd have a much better reason to explore a change.
 
A better comparison to the '17 EX would be the dual-exhaust '14 Deluxe, not the single-exhaust '14 Standard. When compared to the '14 Deluxe, the '17 EX is roughly five hp stronger on a dyno, with a bit more midrange, and about fifteen lbs lighter. Most reviewers mention the increase in power, describing it as noticeable, but nothing earth-shattering. They're usually more effusive regarding the '17's throatier, burblier engine note, which is the result of Honda's decision to give the motor more visceral character by altering the timing of cylinders one and two. The slight bump in power is said to be the result of the new exhaust system.
 
Man, it's a bummer that you can't ride one of these EX's before buying one. (The cylinder timing thing has been around since day one — there's been lots of talk about this here on the forum over the years.) Still, if you enjoyed the '14 Standard then I'm guessing that you'll enjoy the 2017 EX, especially if you like the looks of it more.
 
LongRanger Wrote:Period dyno tests indicated the dual-muffler '14 DLX made no more hp than a '13. Any noted differences were inconsequential.
Right, but the dual-exhausts Deluxe weighed thirty lbs more than the single-exhaust Standard. Since the '17 EX has dual exhausts, it's more fair to compare its weight to that of the '14 Deluxe, and the '17 makes more power than any of the 2010-on-up CB1100s.
 
I've no idea how reliable are the HP figures provided by manufacturers to the Government, but US Government documents show that Honda claims the 2013 (both ABS and non-ABS) produced 65.99445 KW and 88.5 BHP. Those numbers remained the same for both the 2014 STD and DLX. Both 2017 models—the EX and RS— produce 65.6216 KW and 88 BHP. Looks to me like they're down slightly on their predecessors. Not up.

This information was extracted from the links in this post.

It's interesting, too, that it tells you Honda could import the RS to the USA but has decided not to.
 
Ulvetanna has had me going round and round on the subject of the CB1100RS, and whether he would choose the RS or EX if Honda offered it stateside in 2018. I finally came to the same conclusion he did; namely, that there is no real sporting benefit to the RS over the EX, and it actually steers more heavily due to the wider 17" tires, so I'd rather have the greater comfort, easier steering, and lower price of the EX.

Now, if Honda were to offer that one RS we've seen bandied about with the gold tank that does a much better job of matching the gold-colored suspension, I might have to rethink this again.
 
VLJ_imp said:
Ulvetanna has had me going round and round on the subject of the CB1100RS, and whether he would choose the RS or EX if Honda offered it stateside in 2018. I finally came to the same conclusion he did; namely, that there is no real sporting benefit to the RS over the EX, and it actually steers more heavily due to the wider 17" tires, so I'd rather have the greater comfort, easier steering, and lower price of the EX.

Now, if Honda were to offer that one RS we've seen bandied about with the gold tank that does a much better job of matching the gold-colored suspension, I might have to rethink this again.
The thing about the 18" wheels;

a) there is absolutely ZERO tendency to stand up on the front brakes
b) there is a LOT LESS bump steer whilst leaned over in a turn, you can really relax on the bars (watch Guth's video)
c) the bike feels much more light and precise at lower speeds <25 mph

I also like the feel of the 18's on the open road.

If the bike made over 100 HP, I'd say go with the 17's because of the grip available for braking and acceleration with the premium rubber available. But now there are plenty of choices of grippy tires, long-lasting tires, bias-ply tires, retro-looking tires...
Cormanus_imp said:
I've no idea how reliable are the HP figures provided by manufacturers to the Government, but US Government documents show that Honda claims the 2013 (both ABS and non-ABS) produced 65.99445 KW and 88.5 BHP. Those numbers remained the same for both the 2014 STD and DLX. Both 2017 models—the EX and RS— produce 65.6216 KW and 88 BHP. Looks to me like they're down slightly on their predecessors. Not up.

This information was extracted from the links in this post.

It's interesting, too, that it tells you Honda could import the RS to the USA but has decided not to.
That is GREAT stuff. So as far as I am concerned, this settles the issue as to crankshaft bhp. NO difference at all. Those are bench test numbers under controlled conditions.
 
Monoshock. Upside down front forks. More HP. Lower weight. The RS has some nice details. It's not "better" but it's different in some nice ways. I still like them both. The 17 EX is much more classic. That's THE point I think.
 
nhawk7504_imp said:
Monoshock. Upside down front forks. More HP. Lower weight. The RS has some nice details. It's not "better" but it's different in some nice ways. I still like them both. The 17 EX is much more classic. That's THE point I think.
CB1100RS has same twin-shock suspension as the EX. No upside down forks, conventional but with Showa Dual Bending Valve, same as the EX. Shocks have reservoirs and are gold. Might have stiffer damping rates and different spring rates, though. No monoshock. The weight difference is only about 11 pounds, probably not noticeable.

Power is the same on both EX and RS.

Or were you thinking about the Kawasaki? The posts refer to the CB1100RS, that could be the confusion.
 
Thread starter
FWIW, I’m not (currently) considering trading up for a 2017, or ‘18. I was mostly just curious. I like certain aspects of the 2017, both looks and mechanical improvements, but also really like certain aspects of my 2013. Plus it’s a bit customized to my liking and oh yeah, it’s paid for. :biker:

Plus I’d be lying out of my teeth if I said that I wasn’t quite attached to this bike.
 
Back
Top