2017 Kawasaki Z900RS

EGAlvarez_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
What is Kawasaki up to?! Competition for our CB?




Kawasaki Trademarks Z900RS

From Motorcycle.com:
"Kawasaki has filed a trademark application for Z900RS, a name that echoes back to one of the company’s most storied bikes: the Z1.

The trademark application itself reveals very little, except to say the Z900RS name is intended for use for “motorcycles; parts and fittings for motorcycles.” What’s beyond doubt is the importance of the name for Kawasaki. The original Z900 was one of several names used to market the Z1, a 903cc four-stroke double overhead cam inline-Four introduced in 1972 that helped define the term “superbike.” The Z1 was also marketed under the name 900 S4 and KZ900 before it was succeeded in 1977 by the Z1000 (a.k.a. KZ1000).

While it’s possible Kawasaki may be trademarking the name to maintain control over a big part of its heritage, that doesn’t explain why the company chose to file for the name Z900RS and not any of its other names.

One theory is the name will be used for a new retro-styled roadster (hence the letters “RS” to differentiate it from the more aggressive and modern-looking Z1000 and Z800) along the lines of Honda‘s CB1100. Kawasaki already has a similar model in the W800, offered in Europe and Japan. The W800 is a Twin however, and a new Z900RS would likely stay true to its heritage and be an inline-Four.

As with all trademark filings, there’s no telling if or when we will see an actual product. Given the importance of the name, a new Z900RS will carry some hefty expectations."
 
Well I hope it doesn't look like the one you posted, but why not try and catch some of the retro money floating around? There are a lot of Kawi fans in the world. They actually had 2 retros back in the 90's that looked good and were before their times a 750 and an 1100 I think called Zephyrs.

http://www.autoevolution.com/moto/kawasaki-zephyr-1100-1992.html#agal_0

Actually my CB1100 dlx reminds me a whole lot of my 1977 KZ1000

 
I regret selling my ZRX 1200R, it had massive power and retro- mod street presence. Would be nice for Honda to provide a more performance- oriented retro to compliment the CB1100. I'm pretty sure the photo above is NOT the proposed Z900RS, but it would be good for Kawi to enter the game based on their heritage. Hey, how about a two stroke triple!?
 
Rob did you click on my link to the 1100 Zephyr. Now imagine that with fuel injection, which is all they would have to do to it to make it competitive in todays retro market (and maybe mag wheels)
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Well I hope it doesn't look like the one you posted, but why not try and catch some of the retro money floating around? There are a lot of Kawi fans in the world. They actually had 2 retros back in the 90's that looked good and were before their times a 750 and an 1100 I think called Zephyrs.

http://www.autoevolution.com/moto/kawasaki-zephyr-1100-1992.html#agal_0

Actually my CB1100 dlx reminds me a whole lot of my 1977 KZ1000



Agreed...I remember drooling over the 550 Zephyr when I was a broke, 20 year old private in the army. 22 years later, I still think that they look good.

I suspect it would do VERY well with this 125 HP ZRX1200 motor!

 
See now THAT looks good, and 125 horses would make it killer for those wanting more power than the CB has.
 
I would love to see Kawasaki create a retro bike in the same spirit as our CB's. The KZ series were all handsome motorcycles and reliable and well made also.

Pamela on her first real street bike in 1979, a KZ650. We were just married and rode that bike everywhere two up, taking turns at pillion.

 
That was a great bike Redbirds/Sparky!
 
Did it come with that fairing or was it a Kawasaki accessory?
 
I think the Z900RS is a natural for Kawasaki but they need to get it to market before the boomers who will appreciate it age out and move on.

Despite its sales success, I think BMW blew it with the RNineT, if that was their attempt at a retro model. If they could somehow shoehorn that engine into a R100S-looking chassis, I think it would be appealing.
 
That radiator kills the looks of that Kawasaki. But if they don't use it, it will be "down" on power like the CB and sell just as "well" as the CB.

It would be nice if they did, but I think it would be a mistake. :(
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I think the Z900RS is a natural for Kawasaki but they need to get it to market before the boomers who will appreciate it age out and move on.

Despite its sales success, I think BMW blew it with the RNineT, if that was their attempt at a retro model. If they could somehow shoehorn that engine into a R100S-looking chassis, I think it would be appealing.
The RNineT looks great from the tank forward, but from the seat back the bike's classic look just starts to come undone. That's the only reason it's not sitting in my garage right now. Well, that and the dealer being 40 miles away.
 
i agree, an R90/R100/R90s retro would have been outstanding, the r9t looks like a street fighter to me

We have a pro baseball team, football team, orchestra, amusement park, world class zoo, orchestra, tennis venue,

Yet NO BMW dealer. Nearest ones are 120 miles in each direction
 
Yeah I don't care for the gold forks on the R9T...too modern for my taste overall. Fingers crossed for a Zephyr-like air cooled 900RS!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hey, EG! What is the the bike pictured in your original post? I followed the link you posted and they just had pics of the original Z1. The one in your pic looks like a cross between the Z1 and a ZRX. Inquiring minds want to know :P

The Zephyrs of the early 90s were the opening (and premature) shot in a retro revival. The 550/750/1100 models were virtually carbon copies of the KZs of 80s. Honda answered a year later with the CB750 Nighthawk that was modeled on the early 80s Nighthawks. Neither offering was very popular in the U.S. Kaw gave up on the U.S market after two years, while Honda dribbled out the CB750 in small numbers for 12 yrs. Both the CB750 and Zephyrs were popular in the Euro and Japanese markets.

I started my motorcycling life as a serial KZ owner ( 5 in a row). If Kaw decided to bring back a modern Z1, I'd have to seriously consider selling the CB750 to make room.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
i agree, an R90/R100/R90s retro would have been outstanding, the r9t looks like a street fighter to me

We have a pro baseball team, football team, orchestra, amusement park, world class zoo, orchestra, tennis venue,

Yet NO BMW dealer. Nearest ones are 120 miles in each direction
This sounds like a great opportunity for a fun business venture for your golden years Mickey! :D


Flynrider_imp said:
Hey, EG! What is the the bike pictured in your original post? I followed the link you posted and they just had pics of the original Z1. The one in your pic looks like a cross between the Z1 and a ZRX. Inquiring minds want to know :P

The Zephyrs of the early 90s were the opening (and premature) shot in a retro revival. The 550/750/1100 models were virtually carbon copies of the KZs of 80s. Honda answered a year later with the CB750 Nighthawk that was modeled on the early 80s Nighthawks. Neither offering was very popular in the U.S. Kaw gave up on the U.S market after two years, while Honda dribbled out the CB750 in small numbers for 12 yrs. Both the CB750 and Zephyrs were popular in the Euro and Japanese markets.

I started my motorcycling life as a serial KZ owner ( 5 in a row). If Kaw decided to bring back a modern Z1, I'd have to seriously consider selling the CB750 to make room.
I wish it were mine but it's just a customized ZRX1200 image that I liberated off my Google search...Google search "custom zrx1200" and prepare for some drooling!

Eddy

P.S. I agree that a R9T based camhead, R9T-RS would be cool but I don't know if they would sell more than a few dozen.

 
Back
Top