2017 Honda CB1100EX - $8500 good deal ?

I prefer the green (daylight only) face of the '13 model and the '14 Deluxe, but I much prefer the larger, italicized font of the '17. I'd love the green face with the '17's font, and it'd be even better if the green remained green when lit up at night.

The funny thing is I didn't like the orange turnsignals lit up at night on the XSR, so I swapped them for the smaller, clear, Euro-spec Yamaha turnsignals, which don't light up. On the CB, however, I love those turnsignal lights glowing orange down there, framing my headlight and two clocks. I almost prefer riding at night on the CB, I love the view from the saddle so much.
 
One thing that I definitely don't mind are the OEM tail light and turn signals on my 2013. I actually like the way they look and I definitely want others around me to see these things. This is the same reason that I've left my reflectors mounted and always have some gear on with hi-viz colors. After noticing a few guys wearing hi-viz helmets lately, that might well be the color I go for for my next helmet as well.
 
Wow, you guys have good eyes. I wonder what the behind-the-scenes converstation was that produced the font change...


Marketer 1: All I'm saying guys, is that studies show italics is the way to go. People think they're going faster than they really are...makes them forget about the rev limiter.

Marketer 2: Andy, do you really think italics will improve sales for '17 in our U.S. market?

Andy: It can't hurt--we still have some unsold straight font '14 standards out there--that otta tell you something. What I need to know is if the engineers think this is possible.

Eng. 1: From a technical standpoint, switching to italics should not produce any negative consequences that we can foresee.

Eng. 2: From feasibility standpoint, it is possible.

Marketer 1: So we're golden on this? We're switching to italics?

Marketer 2: (knods head in agreement)

Eng 1: I can not provide objections.
Eng 2: I can see no adverse consequences.

Marketer 1: Andy?

Andy: Alright, italics it is.
 
Guth_imp said:
One thing that I definitely don't mind are the OEM tail light and turn signals on my 2013. I actually like the way they look and I definitely want others around me to see these things. This is the same reason that I've left my reflectors mounted and always have some gear on with hi-viz colors. After noticing a few guys wearing hi-viz helmets lately, that might well be the color I go for for my next helmet as well.
I recently bought my second day-glo yellow helmet. I'm sold on that color. Soon after I bought my first one, I received comments from people on the road and in parking lots about how they could see my helmet long before they could see the rest of me.
 
Yep, when a rider is in front of you and on the other side of a hill in the road, the helmet is the first thing that you see (or possibly don't see). Hi-viz helmets always grab my attention under such circumstances.

As far as the gauges of the 2017 EX are concerned, be they green or black, containing italicized fonts or not, I'd say that $8500 sounds like a pretty good deal in this case. :D
 
Thread starter
I think this bike can be had for 8k . Like mine the owner died from a heart attack and a local car dealership now has it and also the guys new rocket 3 for sale.
 
I sent a message for that ad in Pensacola. Guy said he was helping a friend sell it because her husband had died. I immediately responded asking a few questions about the bike and asked for a time to call and never heard back.
 
use2b_imp said:
I think this bike can be had for 8k . Like mine the owner died from a heart attack and a local car dealership now has it and also the guys new rocket 3 for sale.
Is that a BSA Rocket 3?

Those things sell well at auctions!
54ad7e93d9fae6b1eee40e5a441a0cd0.jpg

One of the later models sold for US$32000 at the Los Vegas Auction a number of years back.
 
Triumph Rocket 3 ... 2300cc inline triple front to rear. Motor looks very tractorish, and they are huge, but they are runners.

Note each piston in the Triumph rocket 3 displaces more than all 3 pistons in the BSA rocket 3 did.

I had a 69 BSA Rocket 3 like your top pic. It was a cool bike for it's time, but I could NOT get it to stop leaking oil.
 
My 1966 Lightning leaked oil. But when I removed the primary chain case cover to install Barnett clutch plates, I found out why. In the case was a small pocket that gathered oil and sent it down a channel to lube the drive chain. I placed a drop of solder in the well to seal it. My Lightning stayed clean after that.

Many of the people that complained about the twins leaking oil were the authors of the own discontent. I shuddered when I saw large gobs of Red Hermetite smeared over the crankcase and primary chain cover.

I used a stiff artist brush to a apply a very thin coat of Red Hermetite on the crankcase halves. When it got tacky, I applied another very thin coat. Anything that oozed when the cases were fastened closed was wiped off. Neat, clean and no leaks.

The primary chain cover had a thin paper gasket that should be replaced when the cover was removed. I applied a thin layer of Vaseline on both sides, not Red Hermetite. That allowed the gasket to stick to the case, but move and not tear or crease when the cover was applied. All the screws were placed with a few turns so the gasket stretched out properly before the cover was pushed on. Only then were the screws tightened down. Neat, clean and no leaks.
 
Back
Top