2017 Honda Africa Twin

activedirt_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm about to buy 2017 Honda Africa Twin (DCT model most likely). The retail price is right at $14,000.00. I wonder what are my chances of getting this bike for a $12,000.00 with no trade in. My thought at this point is to keep the CB and buy the Africa Twin straight out. My hope is to use it as a short to medium range touring bike, but also have the option to do some easy-to-handle off road stuff.
Also beside the issue of the price I'm somewhat hung up on getting the DCT version versus the standard version. The DCT has the automatic transmission, that can be manually shifted if the rider so desires. Has anyone in this forum ever owned one of these bikes?
 
If you got the DCT, you'd need only 1 RLET I'm guessing. I have read good things about the DCT but no experience. It is an exciting looking bike
 
If looks a lot like my GS800F. I loved everything about that bike, except ridding it! Hope you have a better experience!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
No personal experience. I'm not even tall enough to sit on it, but I have heard great things about it and the DCT model in particular.
 
I'm a member of the Africa Twin group on Facebook. That bike is universally loved around the world. People post picks of that bike in the back waters of every country that don't come to mind to most people. I'm so dang tempted (I'd sell the Griso to fund it) but will wait for the 2018 model as I just had to switch from pentax to nikon. That took serious change. :(

I like tall adventure bikes because I'm a long legged fellow. But with age and an iffy lower back gives me pause with its' weight. The seat can be lowered in the frame; but my gut feeling is that at 32", the bike may be a bit much for you (unless you have a good dirt bike background or can pick up those skills easily). Test ride one if you can. Since I don't know you at all, this advise is probably worth less than what you just paid for it. :D I hope you get it. :)
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I'm a member of the Africa Twin group on Facebook. That bike is universally loved around the world. People post picks of that bike in the back waters of every country that don't come to mind to most people. I'm so dang tempted (I'd sell the Griso to fund it) but will wait for the 2018 model as I just had to switch from pentax to nikon. That took serious change. :(

I like tall adventure bikes because I'm a long legged fellow. But with age and an iffy lower back gives me pause with its' weight. The seat can be lowered in the frame; but my gut feeling is that at 32", the bike may be a bit much for you (unless you have a good dirt bike background or can pick up those skills easily). Test ride one if you can. Since I don't know you at all, this advise is probably worth less than what you just paid for it. :D I hope you get it. :)
Thanks a million for your post. I can sit flat footed with the seat in the lower position. However I think the overall riding experience may be better with the seat in the upper position.. The weight issue is the biggest negative, even though it weighs less than the cb1100. I was initially planning to purchase a sports tourer that weighed in closer to 400. But I wonder if the extra weight is not a positive for road touring? Honda seems to think through a lot of such issues.

There does seem to be a lot to like about the Africa Twin. One big positive for me is the Honda made accessories that can be purchased. Several of these are even reasonably priced.

Another big positive is the design of the driver protection from the wind. Even the small windshield appears to send the Headwind over my helmet. It's getting closer to decision time!!!!!
 
If i may ask, what sport-tourer weighs close to 400? All the sport tourers I have considered weigh over 600.
 
My wife has a CTX700N with DCT. She loves it as much as her 500 HP camaro. But, you have to be in sport mode or shift manually for any spirited riding.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
If i may ask, what sport-tourer weighs close to 400? All the sport tourers I have considered weigh over 600.
Well yes that's a good point but it was more more like buy a bike like the Ducati Hypeptmotard 939 and then attempt to turn it into more of a touring bike by adding stuff like a windshield and such. In the end I decided such a move would result in a mess that was not good at touring. So the low weight issue was more of an initial wish that ran into reality along the way. My view now is that Honda has created the Afica Twin to be a bike that can be realistically used as a touring bike that can do some off road stuff but with limits on the off road stuff. Given my age I don't see myself jumping off rocks with a dirt bike anytime soon.

The good news is that the wife apears to be on board with the purchase. I think so anyway.
kennyw_imp said:
My wife has a CTX700N with DCT. She loves it as much as her 500 HP camaro. But, you have to be in sport mode or shift manually for any spirited riding.
I uncovered that Honda sells a foot shifter for the Twin. Since I tend to shift without using cluch lever from 2nd up to 6th gear adding the foot shifter to the twin may make sense but it is an expensive option. I'm not sure it is worth the bucks.

Thanks for your post I'm thankful for this info. I did not know that the CTX had such an option as DCT
 
I tested the AT a bit earlier this year, and really enjoyed it. I really did not find the weight to be an issue, quite the contrary to be honest. There are so many of these huge dual-sports around these days that are sort of trying to emulate the BMW GS, and I personally find them all too big. The AT on the other hand was great. Also, as per my comment back when I tested it, the DCT was surprising in that it really makes the bike perform without really feeling like it:

Quote:After that, I had a go on the Africa Twin. I used have the 750 back in the 90's , and always loved that bike. This new one was really amazing! I found it very comfortable, and way more nimble than the likes of the GS. I could really imagine having one of these to go touring with! Tried also the automatic version which was very disturbing to me at first, but extremely efficient. I didn't feel like I was pushing hard, but my brother on the standard Africa was struggling to keep up, and we ride in a very similar way. Great stuff!
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
If i may ask, what sport-tourer weighs close to 400? All the sport tourers I have considered weigh over 600.
Grom with special Honda fairing and touring accessories.
Grom with special Honda fairing and touring accessories.
Yes but I don't met the age requirement for a Grommet!
 
The ferret_imp said:
If i may ask, what sport-tourer weighs close to 400? All the sport tourers I have considered weigh over 600.
Ducati ST3S: 447 lbs dry, 102 hp, chain drive
BMW R1100S: 459 lbs dry, 98 hp, shaft drive
BMW F800GT: 470 lbs wet with bags, 90 hp, belt drive
Honda VFR800: 481 lbs dry, 104 hp, chain drive
 
I could understand the need for the Africa Twin if you were going to ride in the Dakar Rally. But it really is overkill for daily riding with a bit of easy off road.

From the specs I read the DCT model weighs 534 pounds and the normal seat height is 34.3 inches high. The seat can be dropped to 33.5 inches without modifying the bike. That is 3.5 inches more than your inseam. Off road bikes can be that tall and can be leaned to mount, but they weigh much, much less than the AT and have much smaller gas tanks. Leaning a 534 pound motorcycle with a 18.8 liter (5 US gallon) gas tank might be awkward, hard on the back, and expensive if you drop it.

If you want a daily rider adventure styled bike with some easy off road capability, you might want to test ride Honda's CB500XA. It weighs 100 pounds less than the AT and the seat height is 32.2 inches. It is quite capable on most paved roads and easy off road adventures. It also cost less than half that of the AT.

If you look at the motorcycle ergonomics website both are comparable with no forward lean and comfortable and hip angles. The AT has a better knees angles because it is a much taller motorcycle.

I am 6'2" tall and weigh 225 pounds. Although I am now 71 years old, I enjoy good health. I owned a CB500XA for 3 years before buying my 2017 CB1100 EX. Over those three summers, I rode and enjoyed the CB500XA for 33,000 kilometers (20,500 miles).

For the price of an AT you could buy a second hand CB1100 and a CB500XA.
 
Thread starter
Nortoon_imp said:
I could understand the need for the Africa Twin if you were going to ride in the Dakar Rally. But it really is overkill for daily riding with a bit of easy off road.

From the specs I read the DCT model weighs 534 pounds and the normal seat height is 34.3 inches high. The seat can be dropped to 33.5 inches without modifying the bike. That is 3.5 inches more than your inseam. Off road bikes can be that tall and can be leaned to mount, but they weigh much, much less than the AT and have much smaller gas tanks. Leaning a 534 pound motorcycle with a 18.8 liter (5 US gallon) gas tank might be awkward, hard on the back, and expensive if you drop it.

If you want a daily rider adventure styled bike with some easy off road capability, you might want to test ride Honda's CB500XA. It weighs 100 pounds less than the AT and the seat height is 32.2 inches. It is quite capable on most paved roads and easy off road adventures. It also cost less than half that of the AT.

If you look at the motorcycle ergonomics website both are comparable with no forward lean and comfortable and hip angles. The AT has a better knees angles because it is a much taller motorcycle.

I am 6'2" tall and weigh 225 pounds. Although I am now 71 years old, I enjoy good health. I owned a CB500XA for 3 years before buying my 2017 CB1100 EX. Over those three summers, I rode and enjoyed the CB500XA for 33,000 kilometers (20,500 miles).

For the price of an AT you could buy a second hand CB1100 and a CB500XA.
Awesome info this is most helpful. However one point is that I measure 32in to my angles, and I measure 35in+ Inches to the bottom of my boots.
But Again thanks your post is appreciated.
 
Overkill....overkill is very good. Don't be practical with a motorcycle purchase. Practical is for furniture. Practical will have you riding a NC700X . Get that Africa Twin and ride it hard . Don't worry about the seat height or the weight cause you will obviously handle both with ease. Keep the CB1100 because it too is a passionate purchase and not practical and you WILL miss it if you sell it or trade it. You will love both bikes.
There. I told you exactly what you want to hear.
 
dirt road_imp said:
Overkill....overkill is very good. Don't be practical with a motorcycle purchase. Practical is for furniture. Practical will have you riding a NC700X . Get that Africa Twin and ride it hard . Don't worry about the seat height or the weight cause you will obviously handle both with ease. Keep the CB1100 because it too is a passionate purchase and not practical and you WILL miss it if you sell it or trade it. You will love both bikes.
There. I told you exactly what you want to hear.
:banana:
I get the adv desire. Pre cb1100 I had a KTM990Adv. The AT is a fantastic bike, you will love it. It was on my short list for a new bike once my youngest starts school and I can do longer rides again. It's awesome, but if your not gonna go off road, your paying for functionally you wont need/use. Buddy just picked up the vfr1200x, ie the crosstour new for stupid cheap. It looks adventuree, sits up high, but is more suited to sports touring, if that's more of what your doing. I get that you might want said off road functionality even if you don't do it much.. I had a major jones as I wanted it to tour and do some off road exploring, at least till I heard about the Yamaha T7.
 
Back
Top