2017 Honda Africa Twin

Thread starter
dirt road_imp said:
Overkill....overkill is very good. Don't be practical with a motorcycle purchase. Practical is for furniture. Practical will have you riding a NC700X . Get that Africa Twin and ride it hard . Don't worry about the seat height or the weight cause you will obviously handle both with ease. Keep the CB1100 because it too is a passionate purchase and not practical and you WILL miss it if you sell it or trade it. You will love both bikes.
There. I told you exactly what you want to hear.
Well fine but my wife says that I have to breakup with you after this is over.
 
Thread starter
dirt road_imp said:
It was actually longer than some of my romances. I still hope you get to keep the CB AND get the AT. Good luck.
Thanks dude.
The biggest problem I have keeping the CB is where to store it. I thought I had that worked out but alas it feel apart.
 
I picked up a 2017 AT with DCT in June. Already had it on a couple of 900 mile trips and it's just been a pleasure to ride. The DCT has been a fun change of pace. I was uncertain about it, but wanted to try it. It seemed that in just about every review, the rider went in expecting not to like the DCT, but ended up very impressed with it. You are exactly right about the small wind screen. It works surprisingly well. I bought the tall screen and actually went back to the short one. Some people feel that the Honda side cases are built cheaply. But I like them as well. They may not do the job if you're going around the world, but for every day use they're just fine. So far, the only thing I miss is cruise control. I've heard the Yamaha S10 has it. But the S10 doesn't have Honda's fit and finish. Sorry I can't be objective. I LOVE THE AFRICA TWIN. It replaced a V-Strom and a KTM 350, and I haven't regretted it for a minute. Hopefully you can keep your CB1100 too. They're such very different bikes I'm pretty sure you would miss the CB if you let it go.
 
I'm beginning to see AT's on the roads around here, which is saying something considering this is GS country. Glad to know they're beginning to sell. Every review I've read has been a rave one.
 
dirt road_imp said:
Overkill....overkill is very good. Don't be practical with a motorcycle purchase. Practical is for furniture. Practical will have you riding a NC700X . Get that Africa Twin and ride it hard . Don't worry about the seat height or the weight cause you will obviously handle both with ease. Keep the CB1100 because it too is a passionate purchase and not practical and you WILL miss it if you sell it or trade it. You will love both bikes.
There. I told you exactly what you want to hear.

This is profoundly good advice, love it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I love my DCT AT. I rode my shop's demo bike home one night and came back the next morning itching to buy one. The first red/white/blue DCT that came in had my name on it. I never expected to take to the DCT like I did.
 
I find the AT a very interesting bike. I'd like to hear more about the AT from our owners on this site. High speed stability. How it does in a stiff cross wind. Mileage and so forth. Any perceived quirks it may have etc.
 
Frulk_imp said:
I find the AT a very interesting bike. I'd like to hear more about the AT from our owners on this site. High speed stability. How it does in a stiff cross wind. Mileage and so forth. Any perceived quirks it may have etc.
Very stable at 80-90+ mph. This bike handles cross winds and buffeting from semis very nicely, better than either of my V-Strom 650s. Bike gets 40 mpg at 70-75 mph. I've been averaging 45 in suburban vommuting running the most aggressive sport mode. When I tried regular Drive mode, 51 mpg.
 
I just picked up a 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT. Only got. A couple of hundred miles on it so far but very impressed. Don’t knock the DCT idea before you try it. Gear changes are smooth and instant, rev matches on downshift with a fantastic un-Honda like sound from the exhaust. Drive mode is a little sedated but you can program power, engine braking and torque to spice it up. So far I like it in manual finger trigger mode. By the way I am 5’10” and with the seat on the lower setting its ok once you adjust.
Kept the DLX though because its just to pretty to let go.
 
Was looking at four Gold Wings this past Saturday and one 2018 had the DCT. I was told die hard Wing owners scoffed at the DCT. As it turned out, all of them bought the DCT version after a test drive. The Honda agent was so confident of the DCT on the G.Wing that he would write up the purchase order before the rider returned from the demo ride.
 
Congrats Seabee. AT's are cool bikes.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Africa Twin is still a curiosity to me. Honda sales dude always wants to sell one to me.
With a name like Gold Oxide I imagine this bike would appeal as the gold accents are quite striking. Go on let the sales dude have his fun!
I forgot to mention my salesman at the local Honda Powerhouse is also a DLX owner.
 
Back
Top