2017 CB1100 EX Headlight

omarj_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi Gang,

I purchased the new CB1100 recently, and everything has been a blast.

Recently I installed a dart merlin flyscreen. Before this I have never rode the bike at night. The first time I rode at night I noticed it's actually very dark.

My headlight obviously works, with normal and high beam. I figured the headlight would be better in the newer version as it's LED I believe. The reason why I mentioned the dart flyscreen is because I noticed at night my bike lights road signs very well, but not the actual road.

I'm wondering a) did me installing the screen sign mess up the headlight in anyway? IE the headlight maybe damaged, or it's aimed higher than it should be, which I don't think so.

The other option is maybe the headlight is defective?

Anyone else with the newer CB1100 have any issues with the stock headlight at night?

Any recommendations for new headlight?
 
MSCB is a wise man.. Also adjust the headlight on high beam, not low beam. When you are on low beam there is generally ambient light around.. Other cars, street lights etc. when you get out in the cou try it's dark and you NEED high beam to be right.
 
Mscb1100_imp said:
Loosen bolts and adjust on a private/no traffic road at night
+1
Adjusting headlight after mounting is normal.
 
Thread starter
As a followup question, those that have the 2017 CB1100, are your headlights at night fine?
 
Love the bright white headlight on my '17 EX. Blows away the headlight on my XSR900.

"The first time I rode at night I noticed it's actually very dark."

It's very dark at night? You don't say?

Reminds me of this one time I took a shower and discovered that water is...oh, never mind.

:P
 
Thread starter
Hey tuareg, really appreciate the advice, that did the trick.

I was tired when I installed the windscreen and for some reason I thought it was in a set position.

I followed the guidelines the posters mentioned, and I'm all set. Very happy with the headlight now as it's brighter than my previous bike, rebel 500.

Again thanks so much!
 
The headlight on my new 2017 EX also was adjusted low from the factory, and likely wasn't checked by the dealer. My method to adjust it was just to grab a wrench and find a flat, dark road late at night and get the adjustment precisely where I like it. The LED headlight puts out okay light compared to my other, older bikes, but it is not a day and night (so to speak) difference. In fact, I like it less on really tight slow speed curves because the sharp cut-off of the beam means that the road directly in front of the bike is not illuminated at all. With older halogen lights you get some "bleed" on the periphery which helps light the road just ahead and off to the side of the bike.
 
+1 on apex1. I had high hopes for the LED headlight on the '17EX and my first ride I thought, que?

It does need adjustment after installing the DART classic screen but not impressed so far.
 
omarj_imp said:
Hey tuareg, really appreciate the advice, that did the trick.

I was tired when I installed the windscreen and for some reason I thought it was in a set position.

I followed the guidelines the posters mentioned, and I'm all set. Very happy with the headlight now as it's brighter than my previous bike, rebel 500.

Again thanks so much!
(b)

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk
 
Hello, I just bought the Dart Martin Screen, I installed it but they sent me the wrong bracket 2016 model so I had to rig it to work. I am trying to order the correct brackets but they don’t display them on there web site yet. I noticed my lights were low from the factory I need to adjust them later on tonight.
 
DaSwami_imp said:
+1 on apex1. I had high hopes for the LED headlight on the '17EX and my first ride I thought, que?

It does need adjustment after installing the DART classic screen but not impressed so far.
I'll trade you my 2014 light for your 17.
 
Welcome mertechperformance.
 
Back
Top