2017 CB1100 2 Cylinder Sound

HansCB_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
I would like to thoughts about the new model's sound. It sounds like a 2 cylinder or 1 cylinder engine. I personally don't like based on the video link below.


In my limited knowledge, it seems like they want to copy the sound of R ninety? For me, R ninety sounds like a smooth 2 cylinder by this one sounds like out of tuned 4 cylinder.

My question is, is it because of the new shorter exhaust only or did they worsen the valve timing even more?
 
HansCB_imp said:
I would like to thoughts about the new model's sound. It sounds like a 2 cylinder or 1 cylinder engine. I personally don't like based on the video link below.


In my limited knowledge, it seems like they want to copy the sound of R ninety? For me, R ninety sounds like a smooth 2 cylinder by this one sounds like out of tuned 4 cylinder.

My question is, is it because of the new shorter exhaust only or did they worsen the valve timing even more?
I think it sounds like a two cylinder when the camera is on the left side, but when it's moved to the rear so both sides are heard it sounds just fine to me, like it should.
 
Does sound odd. But I've found that these YouTube video's are a very poor place to get an idea of sound. In person is the only reliable way to judge.
 
Lets see... cold start ( high idle), inside a building, off to one side... Yea I'd say it would be real difficult to judge what it actually sounds like going by that.
 
I never liked the sound in videos at start up. Standing beside a cold twin cam motorcycle you hear more cam chain whine and valve rattle than exhaust note.

This is a video from Europe of last year's CB1100 EX. The mufflers are probably longer, but it gives you some idea of what the American and Canadian EXs are going to sound like.

You can skip the start up sounds by sliding over to the 1 minute mark. He rides the bike back and forth on a quiet road. This gives you an idea of what it would sound like at speed.


 
The sounds under load, acceleration and cruising speed are what matter. Revving in neutral isn't what the true sound of a bike is. That being said, that '17 does sound a bit neutered, but to be expected from stock/ Euro 4 and other noise compliance regs.
 
ssudden_imp said:

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nice! I got away with that in the late 60s. But times have changed. It would cost me more for tickets than gas. And then there would be the insurance increases.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for your response. I agree that the sound would not be accurate in youtube. Maybe in person it would be better.

However, I still think there is quite significant change that they made. I'm looking forward that its only the muffler ( which could be changed or modified ) and not the timing.

Here's another sample video that compares the sound of the 2017 and the old model EX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNOCYoK-GDo&t=173s

The shorter exhaust is a good improvement but in my opinion the sound of the old one is much better. It's much smoother.
 
jimgl3_imp said:
yep. there are two cylinders coming out that one pipe for sure. LMAO!
wait, is that how it works?

so if it had 4 individual exhaust, it would sound like 4 single cylinder engines running?
 
I like that revised sound, especially at high revs.

Also, did you catch that new LED tail light look?
I thought it had too many segmented dots to give it a thumbs up.
Would rather see some type of lens to break up the dots and
give it an even brightness.
 
jedd_imp said:
I like that revised sound, especially at high revs.

Also, did you catch that new LED tail light look?
I thought it had too many segmented dots to give it a thumbs up.
Would rather see some type of lens to break up the dots and
give it an even brightness.
LEDs have a very narrow beam. That is why you usually see them in clusters, or an opaque lamp that diffuses the beam. The beam is something like a seal beamed bulb. The beam is very narrow, but appears very bright.

LEDs appear very bright to our eyes when you look right at them. But I believe it is more light spectrum than candle power. A lot of owners of the new LED equipped CB500s are not impressed with the LED headlights.

If you look at the pictures of the 2017 CB1100 EX headlight, there appears to be multiple LEDs installed.

 
Timpo_imp said:
jimgl3_imp said:
yep. there are two cylinders coming out that one pipe for sure. LMAO!
wait, is that how it works?

so if it had 4 individual exhaust, it would sound like 4 single cylinder engines running?
wait, is that how it works?

so if it had 4 individual exhaust, it would sound like 4 single cylinder engines running?
Yeah, I can't tell if jimgl3 is trolling or not - if serious, then will I be able to get a 4 into 2 exhaust for my 2014 Standard to get a similar sound? I actually like it!
 
Back
Top