2015 Yamaha SR 400

Capo_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Saw this over on Motorcycle Daily. Nice looking bike that I'm certain will be the basis for a few Cafe Racers. I like it just the way it is.

Yamaha Goes Old School With 2015 SR400 « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews
Very cool that they're bringing this in to the US, I was doubtful they would. Nothing like a lightweight thumper for backroad fun and cafe- ization.
Very cool that they're bringing this in to the US, I was doubtful they would. Nothing like a lightweight thumper for backroad fun and cafe- ization.
Very Cool:celebrate:
 
That is not bad at all. I have a CB400 that I bought to get back into riding again last summer and around town it is great. It seems like old school is really making a comeback and it's spreading! What an exciting time to be returning to motorcycling!
 
Great looking bike.
 
Mine is also kick start only. I actually really like it! Makes it kind of feel like authentic motorcycling.(maybe I've just been away too long:dodgy:)
Not that this bike has diverted me from my plans for a 2014 CB1100(because it surely hasn't) but I find any new retro offering interesting. I wonder what the black thing right in front of the crankcase is?
 
Robo_imp said:
Mine is also kick start only. I actually really like it! Makes it kind of feel like authentic motorcycling.(maybe I've just been away too long:dodgy:)
Not that this bike has diverted me from my plans for a 2014 CB1100(because it surely hasn't) but I find any new retro offering interesting. I wonder what the black thing right in front of the crankcase is?
The black thing, whatever it is, kind of ruins the lines doesn't it.
 
b15d13032b6493c942ce91a74f239b80.jpg

After looking at it, it seems to a charcoal canister. (edit)
 
Here's a couple other shots of the bike.... there's no 'canister' on this one. Nice looking bike...
There's an article on Cycle World.com.

e8b8b7e8fb47ed09060fbbdb880f9e11.jpg

c16653c9ac6bbcd66f81d2f375b609e3.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Wow, now I want one!

I used to ride a late 80s SR400 in Japan, they were producing and selling them there all along except maybe a year or two they had to pull it because of emissions, and then they put it back out with fuel injection a couple years ago.

At the time, I was a much less proficient rider than I am now, and I was always just riding around town, very rarely did any twisties. I would really like to take another crack at that bike now that I could appreciate it a little better. For now it's probably not going to happen, but I'm really happy to see them bring this over here just the same!
 
Nice move for Yamaha. Those just might sell well around this town. Surprisingly, I've only seen one FZ-09 out and about here so far. I expected to see quite a few more. Who knows, the SR400 might be just the kind of quirky bike that Portlanders goes for.
 
No canister on the white one pictured. Wonder if that was some odd emissions device, hopefully not for US?
 
Thread starter
Pauley_imp said:
Robo_imp said:
Mine is also kick start only. I actually really like it! Makes it kind of feel like authentic motorcycling.(maybe I've just been away too long:dodgy:)
Not that this bike has diverted me from my plans for a 2014 CB1100(because it surely hasn't) but I find any new retro offering interesting. I wonder what the black thing right in front of the crankcase is?
The black thing, whatever it is, kind of ruins the lines doesn't it.
The black thing, whatever it is, kind of ruins the lines doesn't it.
Looks like a fuel vapor canister. Would be the next thing pulled off the bike after the hideous side reflectors, which I'm sure the US version will have, if it were mine.
 
Guth_imp said:
Nice move for Yamaha. Those just might sell well around this town. Surprisingly, I've only seen one FZ-09 out and about here so far. I expected to see quite a few more. Who knows, the SR400 might be just the kind of quirky bike that Portlanders goes for.
Not seen an FZ-09 here. My dealer had 5 on the floor, finally sold his first one. I'm guessing they could sell 3 or 4 of those 400s in this area. 1 or 2 to young guys, 1 or 2 to old guys.
 
I like it. This is the kind of starter bike the U.S. market needs. The current small starter bikes are O.K., but somewhat stressed at Interstate speeds. That's always limited their utility.

Yamaha has been building variants of this little thumper since the 70s. I fondly recall riding a 500cc version back in the early 80s. It only sold for a few years in North America, but was really popular in the Euro and Asian markets for decades. Looks like the only thing that has changed is the engine was destroked to 400cc and they added fuel injection.
Guth_imp said:
Nice move for Yamaha. Those just might sell well around this town. Surprisingly, I've only seen one FZ-09 out and about here so far. I expected to see quite a few more. Who knows, the SR400 might be just the kind of quirky bike that Portlanders goes for.
I think you may be right. I was in Portland last summer and couldn't believe how many old UJM style bikes I saw. They were everywhere.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I like it. This is the kind of starter bike the U.S. market needs. The current small starter bikes are O.K., but somewhat stressed at Interstate speeds. That's always limited their utility.

Yamaha has been building variants of this little thumper since the 70s. I fondly recall riding a 500cc version back in the early 80s. It only sold for a few years in North America, but was really popular in the Euro and Asian markets for decades. Looks like the only thing that has changed is the engine was destroked to 400cc and they added fuel injection.
Guth_imp said:
Nice move for Yamaha. Those just might sell well around this town. Surprisingly, I've only seen one FZ-09 out and about here so far. I expected to see quite a few more. Who knows, the SR400 might be just the kind of quirky bike that Portlanders goes for.
I think you may be right. I was in Portland last summer and couldn't believe how many old UJM style bikes I saw. They were everywhere.
I think you may be right. I was in Portland last summer and couldn't believe how many old UJM style bikes I saw. They were everywhere.
+1 Fly. We have needed a 350ish-400 sized bike here for a long time. I like it and would love to have one. Anytime we get a standard motorcycle over here its a good thing. The more the better.
 
Back
Top