2014 standard - comments received

Todd_K_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I know there is already a generic CB1100 comments thread, so bear with me as a new standard owner and member of a tiny minority :).

It goes without saying that people love their 2013s and deluxes. The comments from friends, family and complete strangers are mostly favorable. Its classic color and accents make for an approachable and friendly-looking bike.

Now for those who own the current Darth Vader edition, I'm curious to know what comments you've been hearing...

A non-riding friend thought it was "beautiful", while a riding buddy described it as an "angry male gorilla", noting how it looked "beefy, like it had just finished weight lifting". We compared it to my resurrected 75 kawasaki z1, which he described as a "tired, sway-backed horse" to the cb's Clydesdale physique. I think the z1 is a beautiful bike, but the Cb does have a much more aggressive posture.

Any choice comments from the four other people in the US who bought standards in 2014?;)
 
I have a black 2011 Australian model and I like it a lot. But it doesn't have the same look as the 2014 standard as the engine is silver and the side panels are grey. For what it's worth, I reckon the 2014 model makes a much stronger statement. I like it. It seems to me Honda is really trying to distinguish it from the DLX model. If I had then opportunity to make a choice, I'd be very torn between the symmetry and elegance of the DLX and the stronger, more aggressive looking standard.

If I were I a farkler, I'd be looking at least for black side covers for my 2011.
 
On the 2014 US standard, farkles might include shorty front and rear black fenders, full black exhaust system, black Road Comet II, and a K&H solo seat........for starters.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
On the 2014 US standard, farkles might include shorty front and rear black fenders, full black exhaust system, black Road Comet II, and a K&H solo seat........for starters.

Pretty close to my plans. Starting out with yoshi black exhaust. Next will come black fenders. I may stop there...or maybe I won't.

I'm trying to figure out what the accent will be on the bike. I can't just black out everything...
 
I think the standard looks great stock. I looked 2 times before buying the deluxe. I love the black motor and the high gloss valve covers etc. It's for sure a leaner & meaner looking bike than the deluxe. I just like the ole school laid back look of the deluxe better to me. But don't temp me if I see a deal on a standard at year end :)
 
I agree the black really looks nice in person. It is nice to see Honda spent time on the details and not made it plane.
I think they should have called it something else ." The Sport " or something.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I have a black 2011 Australian model and I like it a lot. But it doesn't have the same look as the 2014 standard as the engine is silver and the side panels are grey. For what it's worth, I reckon the 2014 model makes a much stronger statement. I like it. It seems to me Honda is really trying to distinguish it from the DLX model. If I had then opportunity to make a choice, I'd be very torn between the symmetry and elegance of the DLX and the stronger, more aggressive looking standard.

If I were I a farkler, I'd be looking at least for black side covers for my 2011.
I agree with the 2014 comments.

Turn yourself into a DYI farkler. Order chrome CB1100 badges and paint the side covers matt black. Not a big job. There are CBs pictured on this forum with side panels in that configuration. Would look good on your bike.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I have a black 2011 Australian model and I like it a lot. But it doesn't have the same look as the 2014 standard as the engine is silver and the side panels are grey. For what it's worth, I reckon the 2014 model makes a much stronger statement. I like it. It seems to me Honda is really trying to distinguish it from the DLX model. If I had then opportunity to make a choice, I'd be very torn between the symmetry and elegance of the DLX and the stronger, more aggressive looking standard.

If I were I a farkler, I'd be looking at least for black side covers for my 2011.
I agree with the 2014 comments.

Turn yourself into a DYI farkler. Order chrome CB1100 badges and paint the side covers matt black. Not a big job. There are CBs pictured on this forum with side panels in that configuration. Would look good on your bike.

Cheers
Did you ever see the story of the dear old lady who set about restoring the fresco in a Spanish church? If not, it's here complete with before and after photos.

That's the sort of outcome that could be expected were I to become a DIY farkler.

But thanks for the suggestion. :)
 
Thread starter
MFGUSA_imp said:
"angry male gorilla" I kind of like that. I may have to put 'Ape hangers' on it to complete the motif.
Can you imagine? Just a couple mods away from this CB450. Damn hippies.
 
Gadzooks! All it needs are tassels to complete the look. I had a similar looking 305 chopper, but not that similar. :D
The comments I get are positive but not as refined as the ones you received Todd. My riding season has just begun and I live in a town with a Harley Dealership in it so I should hear something soon (and yes, I will crash their bike show this summer).

I just broke 300 miles yesterday and I'm still waiting for the inevitable onslaught of opinions but they'll all be good. I am a member of several forums, and this is the first time I have felt an unspoken division amongst the rest, and the minority non the less. Don't get me wrong- great site-great people, but in this forum our choice of the Standard will always make us the James Dean, Marlon Brando or Darth Vader of the CB1100 set and as hard as the DLX guys try, it will definitely shape comments. I think that is what the Standard does to every one who sees it. Its the Force I tell ya!
 
I think a 14 std with a black quarter fairing, slightly lower bars, bar end mirrors and a bum stop seat would be an awesome machine. Good combo of civility and bad-acidness. The ultimate cafe' if you will.

Not the bum stop seat with the fiberglass tail, the bum stop seat like Samurider sells.

This one

http://www.samurider.com/?p=16229/#itemImage
 
MFGUSA_imp said:
Gadzooks! All it needs are tassels to complete the look. I had a similar looking 305 chopper, but not that similar. :D
The comments I get are positive but not as refined as the ones you received Todd. My riding season has just begun and I live in a town with a Harley Dealership in it so I should hear something soon (and yes, I will crash their bike show this summer).

I just broke 300 miles yesterday and I'm still waiting for the inevitable onslaught of opinions but they'll all be good. I am a member of several forums, and this is the first time I have felt an unspoken division amongst the rest, and the minority non the less. Don't get me wrong- great site-great people, but in this forum our choice of the Standard will always make us the James Dean, Marlon Brando or Darth Vader of the CB1100 set and as hard as the DLX guys try, it will definitely shape comments. I think that is what the Standard does to every one who sees it. Its the Force I tell ya!
Then may the force be with you.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I think a 14 std with a black quarter fairing, slightly lower bars, bar end mirrors and a bum stop seat would be an awesome machine. Good combo of civility and bad-acidness. The ultimate cafe' if you will.

Not the bum stop seat with the fiberglass tail, the bum stop seat like Samurider sells.

This one

http://www.samurider.com/?p=16229/#itemImage
I agree. That would be an awesome combo in Black, with smaller mirrors, but not the bar end mirrors. 2 into 1's with stackable Supertrapp Megaphones-all flat black, maybe heat taped- maybe. Now that to me would sound and look birchin'.

Wow ferret, manifestations of a bad boy image - where did that come from? Maybe you should buy a black one too.
 
I'm 95% happy with mine....I just wish there was an easy "cheap" way to make it a little louder! I'm working on it, but it should come stock that way.
 
Back
Top