2014 rims vs. 2017 spoked rims---will they fit?

cyclehooptrain_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi--Hoping an expert or two can give me some thoughts, as Honda has been not too helpful with my local dealer. I have a 2014 CB1100 EX (the rare silver engine model) that we are using as a basis for a modern replica of a 1969 Sandcast. We have everything we need EXCEPT the spoked rims. While I can order some from samurider at $2700, I am wondering if I can use those from a 2017 CB1100 and order them direct from Honda for much less. My biggest concern is fit, of course, and if I order and they are wrong, I can not return them. Any ideas if these (or something else?) will work? They MUST be chrome rims and spokes. Thanks!
 
I believe only the RS model has 17” Wheels and we did not get that model in the US. I don’t know if a US dealer could order the wheels and parts, but MR. T at samurider can.

I do not know if they will fit though. I tried searching on the board but lots of discussion and no real conclusions. Although I did run across an embarrassing error in one of my posts :(
 
Regarding the cost of the new Honda 2017EX wheels, they won't be cheap either. Here's a price list of the major required parts, with pricing from an online dealer (hondaparts-direct) that I find the least expensive. Your findings may vary.

Front: (an assembled wheel with spokes would be $167 more)
hub $173
rim 183
pulser ring 18
disc rotors 610
disc bolts 11
tube/rim strip 25
wheel spacers 15
------------------------
front subtotal $1035 (stock wheel $1202)


Rear: (an assembled wheel with spokes would be $103 more)
hub $280
rim 231
tube/rim strip 28
wheel spacers 26
caliper bracket 97
brake hose 37
drive flange 128
---------------------------
rear subtotal $827 (stock wheel $930)


If it has to be chromed, Buchanan's chrome spokes and nipples are about $300 per wheel, and $100 per wheel lacing and truing them up, plus the price of chroming the rims (estimated $200-300 each), so another $1200-1400.

I am waiting for some ordered parts, so next week I will be converting my 2017 EX to 2014 DLX wheels. I will start a new thread on it then, and see if the caliper bracket, brake hose and drive flange truly need to be replaced when swapping wheels.
 
I am very interested in this conversion and will follow your tread to see how it goes . If all well I might do the same , not for looks but to help when getting a flat on the road.
 
I was able to determine that yes, you definitely need the new drive flange, brake caliper bracket, and the hose, plus a new speed sensor ($119).

Because the wire spokes need to be outboard a little more at the hub to triangulate side-to-side force, the disc is outboard more, meaning the caliper would have to move outboard and hit the shock.
 
Back
Top