2014 or 2013

VAslim16_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi everyone,

I have located a 2014 for $8500 and a 2013 for $7500. Which would you all say is the better deal? I like the black and the addition of a sixth gear, but would you say it's worth the extra $1000? I would probably do a fair amount of highway riding, so would the sixth gear be worth it? Thanks for your opinions in advance.
 
New or used? If used what are the stats? Either have abs? All else being equal, depending on what one wants, either would be fine. 5 vs. 6, bigger gas tank, single vs. dual, different instrumentation read outs etc. ABS is important to me, but assuming neither has it, I'd be going for the '14. Either way, you can't go wrong ;)
 
Thread starter
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
New or used? If used what are the stats? Either have abs? All else being equal, depending on what one wants, either would be fine. 5 vs. 6, bigger gas tank, single vs. dual, different instrumentation read outs etc. ABS is important to me, but assuming neither has it, I'd be going for the '14. Either way, you can't go wrong ;)
Thanks for the reply. Both brand new...neither with ABS. Others with thoughts?
 
Consensus seems to be 'most" don't feel the extra gear by itself is necessary. Even at 80 mph you are still below 500 rpms with the 5 speed and the CB motor does love to run. When I had my 13, I found it perfectly acceptable for freeway work. However that said the 6th gear on the 14 is nice and does let the CB run a little more relaxed on the road, and the updated instruments with fuel computer and digital gear indicator is nice too. Not necessary, but nice.

You can always alter the gearing on the 13 as Chip Beck and others have done, for less than $150
 
You have to ask yourself is it worth $1000.00 more for the extras that the "14" has.
It probably would be worth it, I have a "13" and love it.
 
VAslim16_imp said:
Hi everyone,

I have located a 2014 for $8500 and a 2013 for $7500. Which would you all say is the better deal? I like the black and the addition of a sixth gear, but would you say it's worth the extra $1000? I would probably do a fair amount of highway riding, so would the sixth gear be worth it? Thanks for your opinions in advance.
if i was choosing between the 2013 or 2014 STD model, for a price difference of $1000 , i would go for the 2013.
if it was a 2014 DLX i would go for the DLX.
 
My options were 2013 standard for $7500, 2014 standard for $9000, 2014 DLX for $10500, or 2013 ABS used (6600 miles) for $6900. I went with the used bike.
 
If you like the black better spend the extra $$$$. I personally think the 2014 model runs better. I have ridden them both back to back and i personally think its power band is better and has more HP, it also shows that in recent members dyno's. I think Hedge feels the same way. Stock out of the box the 14 is running 90-92HP where most 13 are at 81-83HP they tweaked something to gain extra HP in the 14 standard model.

Can't find the thread but a member went out to Vegas with a 2014 standard and was at about 90hp before the tune. My 2013 flashed and full Yoshi was at 87hp.

2014::Slip-on
Viva Las Vegas!

2013:Slip-on

ECU from Guhls/Dyno ready
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to go with the 2014 for $8500. I come from riding sport bikes so if people think it has a bit more power I love that. I also like the color more and while the extra gear and updated display aren't necessary, I like having them. Will post some pics when I pick it up in a few weeks. Thanks again guys!
 
VAslim16_imp said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to go with the 2014 for $8500. I come from riding sport bikes so if people think it has a bit more power I love that. I also like the color more and while the extra gear and updated display aren't necessary, I like having them. Will post some pics when I pick it up in a few weeks. Thanks again guys!
i think this was a setup as there was no wrong answer.

either way you made the right choice.
kennyw_imp said:
My options were 2013 standard for $7500, 2014 standard for $9000, 2014 DLX for $10500, or 2013 ABS used (6600 miles) for $6900. I went with the used bike.
my options were 2014 STD for $8200 or a used 2014 DLX with about 3000 miles for $8800.
i went with the used bike
 
2013 stock HP- 82. weight 542 lbs.

2014 stock HP- 88. weight 573 lbs.

So, the 2014 gives you 6 more HP, but has to push around 31 more pounds. If I can do some math in my 40-some odd years old public school education brain, that's around a 7% increase in power with around a 6% increase in weight. Looks like a wash to me. Either will move you! :beerchug:

Its generally agreed anyway, that with the CB's wide powerband, you can't criticize it for having low HP.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
2013 stock HP- 82. weight 542 lbs.

2014 stock HP- 88. weight 573 lbs.

So, the 2014 gives you 6 more HP, but has to push around 31 more pounds. If I can do some math in my 40-some odd years old public school education brain, that's around a 7% increase in power with around a 6% increase in weight. Looks like a wash to me. Either will move you! :beerchug:

Its generally agreed anyway, that with the CB's wide powerband, you can't criticize it for having low HP.
Maybe the DLX but we are talking about the standard which comes in at 540lbs. fully wet ready to ride

Edit; here's a link

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb1100/specifications.aspx
 
Yeah, I must have confused the two models when I went looking for the site where I had seen the weights listed before. Thanks for the clarification.
 
If I had the option to spend $1000 extra AND I was mostly going to ride on the highway, I think I'd spend it and get the '14 model.

But it's academic now.

VASlim, come back with pictures and impressions soon.
 
Thread starter
BestStandard_imp said:
VAslim,

See link below, you can get a new 2014 Black Standard for $7499. Morgantown WV is at the crossroads of I-68 and I-79, an easy ride or drive from VA. Ask for Jim, very easy to deal with. I purchased my '13 CRF250L from him over the phone, I'm in PA and dealers around here were charging a premium for the 250L back then.

http://www.morgantownpowersports.co...d=587240&used=1&vin=JH2SC6518EK100340
Thanks for be heads up but I already paid with a CC for a PA bike. They were 7799 but 8500 with their fees included. Wish I could ask for a refund but too late I guess. 7500 is a heck of a deal.
 
VAslim16_imp said:
BestStandard_imp said:
VAslim,

See link below, you can get a new 2014 Black Standard for $7499. Morgantown WV is at the crossroads of I-68 and I-79, an easy ride or drive from VA. Ask for Jim, very easy to deal with. I purchased my '13 CRF250L from him over the phone, I'm in PA and dealers around here were charging a premium for the 250L back then.

http://www.morgantownpowersports.co...d=587240&used=1&vin=JH2SC6518EK100340
Thanks for be heads up but I already paid with a CC for a PA bike. They were 7799 but 8500 with their fees included. Wish I could ask for a refund but too late I guess. 7500 is a heck of a deal.
Thanks for be heads up but I already paid with a CC for a PA bike. They were 7799 but 8500 with their fees included. Wish I could ask for a refund but too late I guess. 7500 is a heck of a deal.
I think you have 3 business days in most states to cancel a contract.
 
For me, this bike has always been mostly about the looks. The CB1100 isn't really about raw performance anyway (even though it performs just fine for my needs). In the end, I think that you'll be more than glad that you spent the money to obtain "the look" that appeals to you. That way you'll not only enjoy riding your new bike, but you'll always feel good about it when you first lay eyes on it before going for a ride, or when you're washing it, or when you're tucking it away for the evening, etc., etc.. LOL
 
Thread starter
Well guys I got the price down to $8129. Will have to do my own paperwork in VA but pretty pumped about that price. Also glad I went with the 14. Both seem great but I like have a little extra hp and a 6th gear as well. Will come in handy riding it back from PA to VA. Lots of freeway so want to keep the revs low.
 
Back
Top