2014 Ninja 1000 ABS

Ivabign_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi, really like the CB1100 but I'm having a difficult time finding one for a test ride. Because of this I've been looking at a couple other bikes and the one that's caught my eye is the 2014 Ninja 1000 ABS. In spite of the sporty appearance they look to be very comfortable and have great reviews.

I should be able to get a test ride on the Ninja over the weekend, and I was wondering if anyone has already ridden one and could compare it to the CB1100.

Thanks!
 
I've ridden the 1000 twice, and its a hell of a bike. Its fast, sharp, and comparatively comfortable. But its apples and oranges with the CB...they push completely different buttons for me. Because I can't have both I have the CB.
 
Thread starter
Spaceman, thanks for the input! I used to have a ZRX1200 so I've always liked big Kaw's. How would you compare the smoothness of each engine? Especially on the freeway @ 70-75?


The Spaceman_imp said:
I've ridden the 1000 twice, and its a hell of a bike. Its fast, sharp, and comparatively comfortable. But its apples and oranges with the CB...they push completely different buttons for me. Because I can't have both I have the CB.
 
From what I have read, the 14 Ninja 1000 is much improved vibe wise from previous models. Heck of a nice looking sport tourer, but I agree with Spaceman...apples and oranges compared to the CB. One is a sport tourer the other a naked retro standard.
 
Ridem, you just make sure you get on the right bike before your take up that challenge.
 
Thread starter
Hey guys,

I was able to take the Ninja 1000 for a decent test ride yesterday. The Ninja felt great, effortless acceleration, freakishly smooth for an inline 4 (IMO), great handling and really nice ride even on the freeway. Also, very comfortable!

It's been frustrating finding a dealer that allows rides on the CB1100, and despite all the great reviews (and the bike is gorgeous) I find it almost impossible to spend that much money on something that I can't at least spend 20-30 minutes on. Seeing as I live in SoCal you'd think this would be do-able...
 
Be sure and cross check insurance rate. I've heard due to the Ninja moniker some insurance companies are charging a premium.

If I were looking for a new solo Sport- tourer, that one would certainly be near the top of the list.
 
^That's exactly what I was going to say. I love my CB and couldn't be happier to ride one....but the insurance rates for some of the bikes I cross-shopped made the purchase decision very, very easy.

Other bikes I considered were the CB1000R, Interceptor, FZ8, Hypermotard, & Street Triple, which all seemed to be considerably more expensive to own.
Nonetheless, I will always say that shopping for a new bike is almost as much fun as riding one. So many choices!
 
Thread starter
Good point on the insurance and I already checked. At least with State Farm the difference between the CB1100 and the Ninja 1000 was less than $2 per week. With the Ninja being slightly more expensive.
 
I hope you find a shop that will let you ride one. My dealership "doesn't do test rides" (so they say) so I bought my CB1100 having only seen it online and sat on it. I had them deliver it to my office where I have a decent parking lot in which to get accustomed to the bike before taking it home, and from the moment I put it in gear I was in love. It rides like its on rails compared to the Shadow I traded in toward it. It's been deemed a permanent family member, compared to the Shadow that I was bored to tears with after 1000 miles (and traded in after 1500 miles on the odo).
 
I rented a Ninja 1000 (Z1000SX) at the IOM a few years back and it's a fantastic motorbike. Not comparable to the CB at all, so you'll need to weigh the emotion/ performance balance yourself. One thing that turns me off is that Kawi now puts the word Ninja on the tank rather than Kawasaki. I'd have to get that removed, or replace it with a Euro tank.
 
Ivabign_imp said:
Hey guys,

I was able to take the Ninja 1000 for a decent test ride yesterday. The Ninja felt great, effortless acceleration, freakishly smooth for an inline 4 (IMO), great handling and really nice ride even on the freeway. Also, very comfortable!

It's been frustrating finding a dealer that allows rides on the CB1100, and despite all the great reviews (and the bike is gorgeous) I find it almost impossible to spend that much money on something that I can't at least spend 20-30 minutes on. Seeing as I live in SoCal you'd think this would be do-able...
I sat on one two weeks ago waiting to get my tires mounted. I very nice bike and seating position. The had a left over for 9899.00 which was a great value for a lot of bike. The seat height which is a big part of my buying decision was not bad at all at 32.3 it felt a bit lower with its tight frame and seat. I did get that warm fuzzy feeling and felt it was something i could own. The CB and 1000 are two different bikes for sure, it depends on your ridding style. The 1000 with its optional side bags would be a good choice for highway travel. The CB would be good for the Sunday back-road ride enjoying the scenery.
There are a few members in the So. Cal area, you might want to throw out a thread and maybe one of them would be kind enough to let you take it around the block.
 
Back
Top