2014 DLX Wheels on 2017 EX

CBRider_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have been thinking about replacing the spoke wheels on my 2017 CB1100EX with the silver colored cast wheels from the 2014 DLX.

I know the brake rotors will have to be replaced, and the ABS pulser ring, but I'm hoping the 2017 brake calipers will work. I know all the spacers will also have to change, and even the rear sprocket. I think only the front axle is the same part number.

It looks like the 2014 wheel set is still available from Honda. From what I've seen, the Honda Parts House website has the best price.

Has anyone here done this swap?
 
I have been interested in doing this as well but so many parts have to be changed that it could become very expensive.
Wondering if in some countries the 2017 was sold with mag wheels.
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
I have been interested in doing this as well but so many parts have to be changed that it could become very expensive.
Wondering if in some countries the 2017 was sold with mag wheels.
Yep, it ain't cheap. But if I can convince myself that it would work without modifying anything I might spring for it.

That's why I'm hoping someone here has done it before.
 
Use the code eddie12 for 12% off large orders.
b7c8f1c0172e770755b418601ddbda99.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Wow, someone going the other way ... swapping out the spokes for mags. There's a few of us who have gone from mags to spokes. I would be delighted to swap my new silver mags for a set of spoked wheels ... but I'm in Australia.

Amongst the many considerations for your project you might have to consider that the mags could have a thicker diameter rear axle than what fits in your swing arm - 25mm vs. 21mm or something like that, I forget.

Hopefully we'll get to read about your project in this forum.
Good luck.
 
Thread starter
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Wow, someone going the other way ... swapping out the spokes for mags. There's a few of us who have gone from mags to spokes. I would be delighted to swap my new silver mags for a set of spoked wheels ... but I'm in Australia.

Amongst the many considerations for your project you might have to consider that the mags could have a thicker diameter rear axle than what fits in your swing arm - 25mm vs. 21mm or something like that, I forget.

Hopefully we'll get to read about your project in this forum.
Good luck.
Thanks for that information. The thicker diameter rear axle my be a deal killer for me. It would be pretty easy to fabricate bushings for a smaller axle, but not sure of a practical way to fit a larger one without cutting and welding my swing arm.
 
This reminds me of the good old days when you bought an aftermarket accessory and had to change many other things on your bike to get it to fit. Lucky for me a biker buddy owned a machine shop back then.
 
CBRider_imp said:
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Wow, someone going the other way ... swapping out the spokes for mags. There's a few of us who have gone from mags to spokes. I would be delighted to swap my new silver mags for a set of spoked wheels ... but I'm in Australia.

Amongst the many considerations for your project you might have to consider that the mags could have a thicker diameter rear axle than what fits in your swing arm - 25mm vs. 21mm or something like that, I forget.

Hopefully we'll get to read about your project in this forum.
Good luck.
Thanks for that information. The thicker diameter rear axle my be a deal killer for me. It would be pretty easy to fabricate bushings for a smaller axle, but not sure of a practical way to fit a larger one without cutting and welding my swing arm.
Perhaps consider:
1. Alternate wheel bearings and crush sleeve to match your axle to the hubs, I.e. Bearings with same OD as the '14 bearings but with ID of the '17 bearings and a crush tube to suit, or
2. Sleeving your axle to fit the ID of the wheel bearings in the '14 hub.

Just some thoughts that you could explore with a machine shop.
 
I'm interested in this topic. I could take or leave spokes, but one thing that gives me pause about the '17 EX is the tubed tires.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I’d prefer if my DLX came from the factory with spokes, but I don’t have the appetite to make the change myself.
Funny...'cause I wouldn't mind if my 17ex were tubeless / mag wheel style.
 
I don't have a problem with the appearance of spokes, but I don't like the idea of inner tubes at all:

[li]Can't plug[/li] [li]Can fail catastrophically
[/li]
 
pdedse_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
I’d prefer if my DLX came from the factory with spokes, but I don’t have the appetite to make the change myself.
Funny...'cause I wouldn't mind if my 17ex were tubeless / mag wheel style.
Funny...'cause I wouldn't mind if my 17ex were tubeless / mag wheel style. me too !
 
Since early summer of 2019, I converted my 17 EX from Tube type to Tubeless and rode it to the Eastern Rally in WV. So far touch wood there is no issue.
See chart below on pressure drop:

All reading are in Psi
Month. Date. Fr. Rr
Sept. 10th. 33 40
Sept. 15th. 33 40
Sept. 29th. 32 39
Oct. 13th. 30 37
Oct. 16th. 28 37
April. 3rd. 24 34

During winter storage between Oct 16th and April 3rd, there was a loss of 4 Psi which I consider kind of acceptable since 1 Psi per month is considered normal.

When I replaced the worn out tires I took a leap of faith and went for the conversion. It seemed to work fine.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
Since early summer of 2019, I converted my 17 EX from Tube type to Tubeless and rode it to the Eastern Rally in WV. So far touch wood there is no issue.
See chart below on pressure drop:

All reading are in Psi
Month. Date. Fr. Rr
Sept. 10th. 33 40
Sept. 15th. 33 40
Sept. 29th. 32 39
Oct. 13th. 30 37
Oct. 16th. 28 37
April. 3rd. 24 34

During winter storage between Oct 16th and April 3rd, there was a loss of 4 Psi which I consider kind of acceptable since 1 Psi per month is considered normal.

When I replaced the worn out tires I took a leap of faith and went for the conversion. It seemed to work fine.
Good information and good idea to check and record the pressure as you did. I've been surprised that my tubes don't seem to lose much over the cold months, maybe only 2psi...but then OR winters where I live don't get that cold, probably 35f night time average, and rarely below 30f. I just put new tires / tubes on. Thought about converting, but just didn't feel like doing it quite yet.

I'd be interested to see if there's any changes over 4-5 years.
 
Stichill_imp said:
So, Alain: you sealed your rims and installed tubeless tires?
Yes, I used the "OUTEX" kit from Japan. Their 3M tapes were cut -out with the correct/proper width & length for each rim. As previously mentioned, I took a leap of faith and did the conversion when it was time to replace the tires. They were replaced with tubeless type "Bridgestone".
Because of the unknown I regularly monitor the pressure and kept a log of pressure drop over time. I expected to loose 1 or 2 Psi/month, however, the result were better than expected over the 9 months test period.
One of my big surprise was the inside finish of the rim/spokes, it was not of the expected HONDA quality, may be HONDA thinks that the customer will never see the inside of the rims, they lower their finish to reduce cost. I will post some of the modification pictures taken.
Would I do it again? You bet anytime!
 
Back
Top