2014 CB1100 suspension changes

Hmmm if true, methinks that would make turn in quicker. Maybe they did that to keep handling the same since they added 30 more pounds essentially behind midpoint.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Guth,
I know the rake and what it means. Can you describe in dummy language what has changed with the trail? Is the wheelbase changed?
it cannot be explained in dummy language, other than to say that with too little trail the front wheel will oscillate like the crazy wheel on a bent shopping cart.
 
Guth_imp said:
Here are a couple of articles on the subject that can do a much better job explaining this than I can.

Motorcycle rake, trail and offset explained

[url=http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_art/]Art & Science: Fun With Geometry

Thanks Guth!
Deanohh_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
it cannot be explained in dummy language, other than to say that with too little trail the front wheel will oscillate like the crazy wheel on a bent shopping cart.
Believe it or not, that sort of explains what I was thinking. Trail is something that has to be addressed when setting up a sidecar and I have had to deal with the trail issue before, but from the sidecar end while setting it up. Sometimes changes have to be made with the front end such as fork bridges and triple trees. Steering can be greatly affected. My friend has a sidecar on a '13 and I'm hoping the '14 will not be any different and present problems.
Thanks!
 
Ok, Im bouncing back and forth on spec sheets .... how does rake (27 degrees) and wheelbase (58.7) stay the same on both models, and trail change? (4.2 for 2013 std vs 4.4 on 2014 std and dlx)

Also the 2014 std seat height is .1 lower than the 2013? (31.3 vs 31.2) while the dlx is same as 2013 std (31.3)

Also spec sheet list fuel capacity at 3.9 gal for 13 and 14 std and 4.6 for 14 dlx (which is .7 gal difference not .5 as generally stated)

2014 std and dlx both have same fork and shock travel 4.2 front 4.5 rear ( figures not on 2013 spec sheet)

Also the 2013 std and the 2014 dlx are both called candy red

Methinks the spec sheets might contain some errors

2013

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb1100/specifications.aspx

2014 std

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb1100/specifications.aspx

2014 Dlx

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb1100/specifications.aspx
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Are these the same spec sheets that say the 2014's have a 5-speed transmission?

No..they say 2014s have 6 speeds and 2013 has 5 speeds, but I see where you are headed..spec sheets can be wrong
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Are these the same spec sheets that say the 2014's have a 5-speed transmission?

No..they say 2014s have 6 speeds and 2013 has 5 speeds, but I see where you are headed..spec sheets can be wrong
True enough.

Although I took the original information from Honda's news releases which do tend to be scrutinized rather closely, I finally pulled out my 2013 factory service manual for reference. It lists front wheel travel at 4.21 inches, rear wheel travel at 4.49 inches, rake at 27 degrees, trail at 4.5 inches and a wheelbase of 58.7 inches.

So the only question that would remain is the trail of 4.4 inches for the 2014 models, which is more than likely a typo. :dodgy:
 
The 2013 reference in post #8 give trail at 4.2 inches so somewhere there is a misprint, a calculation error or round off difference. Or there could be a small difference in the triple clamps or set up of the bike that was measured, or from some design drawing..... No point in figuring out exactly why. The geometry is well into the safe range and some of the "specs" are only for reference anyway. If they were meant to be precise values, they would use more decimal places.
 
I think the point of this thread is about identifying the differences in the 2014 model from those built in 2013 or before - when we see the part numbers for the 2014 vs 2013 we'll know for sure. Maybe there are some differences to geometry but that would seem unlikely and it's probably just a misprint. I'm with Deanohh on this because in the real world the minute difference in this specification won't amount to much of a difference in feel and is only observable when the bike is static. Under operation with the loads placed on the suspension by braking, accelerating and cornering mean the effective rake and trail are constantly changing so IMO a 1/4" difference in the trail spec would be hard to notice ... certainly not by a rider of my skill level.
 
Thread starter
Looking at the specifications that I pointed out from the sources I posted, the differences were not exactly minor, though they didn't exactly make much sense. I had also noticed in the bike show photos posted up by CA200 that the top triple clamp on the '14 model appears to be a polished unit and it got me to wondering if there were any other associated changes made, so down the rabbit trail I went. :blush:
 
I think all that cold and snow is giving you cabin fever :P

The ferret_imp said:
Ok, Im bouncing back and forth on spec sheets .... how does rake (27 degrees) and wheelbase (58.7) stay the same on both models, and trail change? (4.2 for 2013 std vs 4.4 on 2014 std and dlx)

Also the 2014 std seat height is .1 lower than the 2013? (31.3 vs 31.2) while the dlx is same as 2013 std (31.3)

Also spec sheet list fuel capacity at 3.9 gal for 13 and 14 std and 4.6 for 14 dlx (which is .7 gal difference not .5 as generally stated)

2014 std and dlx both have same fork and shock travel 4.2 front 4.5 rear ( figures not on 2013 spec sheet)

Also the 2013 std and the 2014 dlx are both called candy red

Methinks the spec sheets might contain some errors

2013

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb1100/specifications.aspx

2014 std

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb1100/specifications.aspx

2014 Dlx

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb1100/specifications.aspx
They were just being lazy on the spec. sheet. The 2013 is Candy Glory Red and the '14 is Candy Alizarin Red, which seems to be a shade darker.

If you've ever seen a Honda paint code chart, you'd notice that they have well over a dozen colors called "Candy ______ Red".
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I think all that cold and snow is giving you cabin fever :P

The ferret_imp said:
Ok, Im bouncing back and forth on spec sheets .... how does rake (27 degrees) and wheelbase (58.7) stay the same on both models, and trail change? (4.2 for 2013 std vs 4.4 on 2014 std and dlx)

Also the 2014 std seat height is .1 lower than the 2013? (31.3 vs 31.2) while the dlx is same as 2013 std (31.3)

Also spec sheet list fuel capacity at 3.9 gal for 13 and 14 std and 4.6 for 14 dlx (which is .7 gal difference not .5 as generally stated)

2014 std and dlx both have same fork and shock travel 4.2 front 4.5 rear ( figures not on 2013 spec sheet)

Also the 2013 std and the 2014 dlx are both called candy red

Methinks the spec sheets might contain some errors

2013

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb1100/specifications.aspx

2014 std

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb1100/specifications.aspx

2014 Dlx

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb1100/specifications.aspx
They were just being lazy on the spec. sheet. The 2013 is Candy Glory Red and the '14 is Candy Alizarin Red, which seems to be a shade darker.

If you've ever seen a Honda paint code chart, you'd notice that they have well over a dozen colors called "Candy ______ Red".
You have no idea. :dodgy:
 
Guth_imp said:
Looking at the specifications that I pointed out from the sources I posted, the differences were not exactly minor, though they didn't exactly make much sense. I had also noticed in the bike show photos posted up by CA200 that the top triple clamp on the '14 model appears to be a polished unit and it got me to wondering if there were any other associated changes made, so down the rabbit trail I went. :blush:
if they changed the triple clamp in a way that changed the offset or angle of the forks in the clamps. It could potentially change the trail without changing wheelbase. But who knows? With different data given at different times for the same thing I think its more of the documents being inconsistent more than anything else.
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Looking at the specifications that I pointed out from the sources I posted, the differences were not exactly minor, though they didn't exactly make much sense. I had also noticed in the bike show photos posted up by CA200 that the top triple clamp on the '14 model appears to be a polished unit and it got me to wondering if there were any other associated changes made, so down the rabbit trail I went. :blush:
if they changed the triple clamp in a way that changed the offset or angle of the forks in the clamps. It could potentially change the trail without changing wheelbase. But who knows? With different data given at different times for the same thing I think its more of the documents being inconsistent more than anything else.
After I finally looked at the detailed specs in my service manual, I totally agree. Cabin fever indeed.
 
Guth_imp said:
Looking at the specifications that I pointed out from the sources I posted, the differences were not exactly minor, though they didn't exactly make much sense. I had also noticed in the bike show photos posted up by CA200 that the top triple clamp on the '14 model appears to be a polished unit and it got me to wondering if there were any other associated changes made, so down the rabbit trail I went. :blush:
I can't tell of the upper triple clamp is polished, and at times in certain photos the passenger grab rails seem polished, but I don't think either are. However the brake reservoir lids for the clutch and front brake ARE polished.

The instruments have different graphics in the sweep area. The 13s have 1 line... The 14 dlx has two lines and a grid like pattern. It also says 6 speed in the tach.

2 things I don't understand are the repositioning of the headlight and the smaller turn signals..I mean why bother

And I wonder now about the mounting on my street shield EX due to the higher headlight mounting.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Looking at the specifications that I pointed out from the sources I posted, the differences were not exactly minor, though they didn't exactly make much sense. I had also noticed in the bike show photos posted up by CA200 that the top triple clamp on the '14 model appears to be a polished unit and it got me to wondering if there were any other associated changes made, so down the rabbit trail I went. :blush:
I can't tell of the upper triple clamp is polished, and at times in certain photos the passenger grab rails seem polished, but I don't think either are. However the brake reservoir lids for the clutch and front brake ARE polished.

The instruments have different graphics in the sweep area. The 13s have 1 line... The 14 dlx has two lines and a grid like pattern. It also says 6 speed in the tach.

2 things I don't understand are the repositioning of the headlight and the smaller turn signals..I mean why bother

And I wonder now about the mounting on my street shield EX due to the higher headlight mounting.
In this photo, you can see the difference in the finishes between the upper and lower clamps. The lower appearing more silver/gray like the 2013 model clamps:
99d8a5efa86b8fc345366f7f3e8698c3.jpg


And in this photo, the upper clamp certainly looks more polished to my eye than the silver/gray finish on the 2013 model:
a6a83907d4bfebb37fe7377204d58fad.jpg


I think this works nicely with the styling of the Deluxe.
 
Back
Top