2014 Black Standard CB1100 w/ Road Comet 1

Thread starter
jerrycon_imp said:
Like the look, JPX. About your seat... Has there been an improvement in butt comfort? Significant improvement?
May just be my imagination but I think the new one is more comfortable; I recall being less sore in the rear after my latest ride. It's definitely thicker and has more padding than the stock seat, so that could be part of it.

I had them set the foam for a 175 lb rider and I weigh about 185 right now. I figure by the time it's broken in I'll be back down to 175 lbs.
 
JPX_imp said:
jerrycon_imp said:
Like the look, JPX. About your seat... Has there been an improvement in butt comfort? Significant improvement?
May just be my imagination but I think the new one is more comfortable; I recall being less sore in the rear after my latest ride. It's definitely thicker and has more padding than the stock seat, so that could be part of it.

I had them set the foam for a 175 lb rider and I weigh about 185 right now. I figure by the time it's broken in I'll be back down to 175 lbs.

take it from us old timers, history tends to show the weight trend leans the other direction. :(
 
Thread starter
Haha, well then my next mod will be to make my CB pedal or foot powered I suppose. The Flintstones Mod
 
Great looking seat! If I didn't love the feel of my Tiro so much, I'd be all over that. And the extra height makes it even better for me.
(*Actually, if you decide to sell it because it's too tall, let me know, I may just try it out anyway! And you had it custom made to my exact weight!) :D
 
Thread starter
Sell my seat? That's a negatori. I love it and will never part with it. :P

Better get one while the exchange rate is good. ;)
 
Thread starter
Ghis_imp said:
Did you replace the seat for looks, comfort, both? I like it a lot.
All of the above. I will admit that I was worried on the comfort front since many people who have gotten them have said that they feel too hard and that they don't soften up for a few thousand miles. I haven't found that to be the case personally. I purposely had the foam set for a lighter rider (175 lb foam vs 185 lbs actual) so that it would be a little on the softer side. That may have helped or may not have; it makes sense to me but I couldn't tell you for certainty if it made a difference without having one of each on hand to test out.

I do think that the seat finishes off the bike aesthetically very nicely though. From looking at my pictures before and after replacing it, it just totally looks like how the bike was supposed to be. The stock seat was a little too low and plain looking for the look I'm going for.

Seat Swap Before and Afters:


[url=http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/jasonxerri/media/CB1100/Before%20and%20After%204_zpsjp7x2jp1.jpg.html]
 
How do you put 2 pictures side by side like that?
 
Thread starter
I normally just open up both images in two instances of Microsoft Paint and cut and paste one into the other. Then it's just a matter of cropping stuff out I don't want and moving things around a little. Takes me maybe a minute or two to do one.
 
JPX_imp said:
Sell my seat? That's a negatori. I love it and will never part with it. :P

Better get one while the exchange rate is good. ;)
Hey, can't blame a guy for trying. :D

Funny how similar our bikes are, but for the red and black bodywork differences:

 
The little guy on my right shoulder just loves the Road Comet cowl on this bike, but the little guy on my left shoulder keeps saying no no no, keep it stock ! Except gaiters and RLETS....
 
Well I also have ordered one of these Road Comet 1's from samurider, but because I was in a hurry I wanted one they had in stock to avoid a 5 week total wait time. Red is how it will come then, which will need repainting as you can see below.

I'll be taking it to a professional to do, but will I need to have the paint stripped before a new coat is added?? I will colour match the orange and try and have the black stripe added to match the tank. Will also get them to paint the exhaust manifold black, along with the engine guards. This is already the coolest looking bike I've owned!

Samurider were cool about letting me have the comet for the same price as an unpainted version - quite a saving - and the red is no use to me after all.
 
Thread starter
Yikes, a 5 week lead time... I had mine shipped from Japan to the US in under 5 business days total. Guess I got mine at a good time.

You shouldn't need to have it stripped. You only need to strip if the paint is old and flaking. Your professional painter should know the correct process but normally they'll just prep it for new paint by sanding it down with a fine grit sandpaper so the new paint will adhere properly.
 
Nice color, S2R. Thanks for the photo. I shall use it as proof that the CB1100 is not just any bike. It deserves to be IN the house.

simplest2remember_imp said:
Well I also have ordered one of these Road Comet 1's from samurider, but because I was in a hurry I wanted one they had in stock to avoid a 5 week total wait time. Red is how it will come then, which will need repainting as you can see below.

I'll be taking it to a professional to do, but will I need to have the paint stripped before a new coat is added?? I will colour match the orange and try and have the black stripe added to match the tank. Will also get them to paint the exhaust manifold black, along with the engine guards. This is already the coolest looking bike I've owned!

Samurider were cool about letting me have the comet for the same price as an unpainted version - quite a saving - and the red is no use to me after all.
 
Chapomis_imp said:
The little guy on my right shoulder just loves the Road Comet cowl on this bike, but the little guy on my left shoulder keeps saying no no no, keep it stock ! Except gaiters and RLETS....
Hey, I know those guys! For the proper 70's vibe, it is no cowl. For the more 80's CB1100F look, it is cowl for sure. I bounce back and forth.
 
Thread starter
I wasn't sure what the black unpainted coating would look like, so I spent the extra $40 to make sure it was painted in the same color code as the tank.
 
Back
Top