2014 / 2017 airbox snorkels

Thread starter
Just messaged with Tetsuya Kudo a moment ago- and he confirmed this part was changed on the 2017 for noise regulations.
 
The best article I have ever read about the motorcycle airbox is from California Scientific, super interesting and if you want to go full Engineer mode its all there. This is why I leave all my bikes pretty stock and why I am happy that a Honda filter and airbox will be just fine for me.

Resonant Air boxes: Theory and Applications
 
Bookmark added. Great explanation.

They didn’t say Helmholtz resonator. I like saying Helmholtz resonator. :) Not an engineer though :(
 
A message just came in to the forum inbox. It said:

Quote:Dear Admin and Moderators,

Could you please ask Lord Popgun to stop using my name just for the heck of it? It's messing with the data I'm trying to collect from the inter webs on the number of times my name is mentioned in serious works.

Yours etc

Helmholtz Resonator
 
Cormanus_imp said:
A message just came in to the forum inbox. It said:

Quote:Dear Admin and Moderators,

Could you please ask Lord Popgun to stop using my name just for the heck of it? It's messing with the data I'm trying to collect from the inter webs on the number of times my name is mentioned in serious works.

Yours etc

Helmholtz Resonator
:rofl:

Ha, ah, ... Popgun, say it again? Peez!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
A message just came in to the forum inbox. It said:

Quote:Dear Admin and Moderators,

Could you please ask Lord Popgun to stop using my name just for the heck of it? It's messing with the data I'm trying to collect from the inter webs on the number of times my name is mentioned in serious works.

Yours etc

Helmholtz Resonator
:rofl:
 
that cal sci article sounds convincing, but fails to explain how, when I removed that little round plug thing from the airbox, the front end came off the ground when I gassed it...
 
Its the HELMHOLTZ RESONATOR thing :D
 
Tev62_imp said:
The best article I have ever read about the motorcycle airbox is from California Scientific, super interesting and if you want to go full Engineer mode its all there. This is why I leave all my bikes pretty stock and why I am happy that a Honda filter and airbox will be just fine for me.

Resonant Air boxes: Theory and Applications
Thanks for the link to the article, it reminds me of the Toyota famous "T-VIS" (Toyota Variable Intake System).
What the T-VIS does is varying the air intake runner length in order to get more torque at certain rpm. It uses a butterfly plate to close one set of intake runner and opens them when more torque is required at certain rpm (air resonance).
By the way, this system was designed by Yamaha (their musical department).
Regards
Alain
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Its the HELMHOLTZ RESONATOR thing :D
Stop it! :rofl:
Alain Lee_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
The best article I have ever read about the motorcycle airbox is from California Scientific, super interesting and if you want to go full Engineer mode its all there. This is why I leave all my bikes pretty stock and why I am happy that a Honda filter and airbox will be just fine for me.

Resonant Air boxes: Theory and Applications
Thanks for the link to the article, it reminds me of the Toyota famous "T-VIS" (Toyota Variable Intake System).
What the T-VIS does is varying the air intake runner length in order to get more torque at certain rpm. It uses a butterfly plate to close one set of intake runner and opens them when more torque is required at certain rpm (air resonance).
By the way, this system was designed by Yamaha (their musical department).
Regards
Alain
Thanks for the link to the article, it reminds me of the Toyota famous "T-VIS" (Toyota Variable Intake System).
What the T-VIS does is varying the air intake runner length in order to get more torque at certain rpm. It uses a butterfly plate to close one set of intake runner and opens them when more torque is required at certain rpm (air resonance).
By the way, this system was designed by Yamaha (their musical department).
Regards
Alain
There is a short video on you tube showing this on a Yamaha R1 Alain, Yamaha "Chip Controlled Intake" (YCC-I) It shows the impact of different lengths on the throttle body intakes and how it tries to "fill in" the troughs.

Such an inspired simple solution. Engine designers knew about the effects on Torque and Power with respect to airbox design of course but you can just imagine that one guy who just said, "why don't we just change the throttle body inlet length dependent on the engine speed with a mechanical arm"? Dumb silence in the room and "da*n, why didn't we think about that"!

 
Alain Lee_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
The best article I have ever read about the motorcycle airbox is from California Scientific, super interesting and if you want to go full Engineer mode its all there. This is why I leave all my bikes pretty stock and why I am happy that a Honda filter and airbox will be just fine for me.

Resonant Air boxes: Theory and Applications
Thanks for the link to the article, it reminds me of the Toyota famous "T-VIS" (Toyota Variable Intake System).
What the T-VIS does is varying the air intake runner length in order to get more torque at certain rpm. It uses a butterfly plate to close one set of intake runner and opens them when more torque is required at certain rpm (air resonance).
By the way, this system was designed by Yamaha (their musical department).
Regards
Alain
Interesting tidbit Alain. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top