2013 vs 2014

Sheepdog_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
OK, first off, I'm new to the forum but have owned several CB's over my lifetime and loved them all. But here is my question on the new one...I have been looking and found a very low mileage 2013 and a brand new never titled 2014. The difference in the price is about $3500.

Is it worth it to spend the extra $$$ on the 14?

I am fortunate that the difference in price is not a concern, only the value for the money spent.

Can all of you weigh in please, I have been reading and know that the 14 has the six speed gear box but that is essentially where the difference ends. I won't be doing much highway driving or travelling, this is essentially just a fun bike to jet around on to remind me of the good old days lol.

Look forward to reading your responses...Cheers!:beerchug:
 
I voted 13 according to your criteria, but there is more involved than just long distance travelling. Color, resale, warranty depends on what else is important to you than the number of gears in the transmission
 
Well, the '14 does have that cool fuel computer that by ALL accounts is easy to use and interpret... :P :banana:
 
There are many differences between the Standard and Deluxe beside an extra cog in the gearbox. Below is a list of upgrades the deluxe has over the standard (cut and pasted from one of Ferret's posts! Lol)

1 Silver motor
2 Silver wheels
3 4 into 2 exhaust
4 Chrome waterfall head pipes vs snaky stainless head pipes
5 ABS standard
6 Taller, patterned seat vs plain
7 Polished master cylinder covers for clutch and front brake vs black
8 Chrome bar ends vs black
9 Polished top triple tree vs painted
10 Headlight raised an inch
11 Horns raised an inch
12 Smaller turn signals
13 Front sprocket cover now aluminum instead of plastic
14 Color matched side covers instead of silver
15 Side covers wrap around frame
16 4.6 Gallon fuel tank vs 3.9 gallons
17 New speedo limited to 120 mph
18 New instruments have different patterned faces
19 Digital gear indicator
20 Fuel computer that tells fuel used, ave mpg, fuel remaining
21 Passenger grab rails on a different angle to follow contour of new seat
22 Passenger grab rails polished
23 New left hand switch assy to match other 2014 Hondas ( I put a 13 switch back on mine)
24 Front forks take different amts of oil in each leg (for some reason but its new for 2014)
25 Rear axle size reduced (lower torque required for some reason but it's new for 14)
26 A little easier to do oil change if you want to count that lol
27 570 lbs wet dlx vs 540 lbs wet std ( due to ABS, larger fuel tank, 7/10 gallon more fuel, aluminum vs plastic sprocket cover, and extra exhaust pipe = 30 pounds weight difference)
28 6 speed transmission
29 DLX handlebars 1/2" taller


The bigger fuel tank, 4-2 exhaust, 6-speed gearbox, ABS, silver engine/wheels and (IMHO) a "fancier, more elegant look" with all of the polished metal and chrome easily justified the difference to me.
 
EG, that list doesn't really apply as the OP was asking about the difference between a '13 and a '14.

Since the poster is in Canada, it's safe to say his dealer doesn't have a DLX, since they weren't sold there.

So, beyond the number of gears and the fuel computer, there should be very little difference between the Canadian white '13 models and the spencer blue '14 model.
 
Thread starter
Lol 13 is red, 14 is blue. In Canada both come with the 4 in 1 exhaust and ABS. One model only not like the US
 
Sheepdog_imp said:
Lol 13 is red, 14 is blue. In Canada both come with the 4 in 1 exhaust and ABS. One model only not like the US
Yep, only 1 model in Canada, but we get some of the deluxe upgrades that EG posted above.

If money is not really the issue, then pick the color that really appeals to you. I totally dig my '14 Pearl Spencer Blue. It's definitely unique.

I also had a choice of a demo model with 1400Kms, or a crated one. I picked the crated one at the higher price, my rationale being I'm likely to keep this bike for a long time, and wanted to know its full history.
 
I have to (and gladly) agree with the ferret. Considering the fact that you won't be doing much highway riding or long-distance traveling, I'm hard pressed to think of a good reason to spend the extra $3500. Have fun deciding! And welcome to the forum.
 
Sheepdog_imp said:
Lol 13 is red, 14 is blue. In Canada both come with the 4 in 1 exhaust and ABS. One model only not like the US
The '13 is red? Pretty sure that's a U.S. model that was imported. The Canada '13s were all white. Double check that it really has ABS. In '13 some U.S. models did and some didn't.
 
Think about what you might want, 3500.00 would buy some nice farkles....candy glory red is the fastest color....blue however is a very seductive color.....
 
:worship: I'm in agreement with metallyguitarded. (and ferret)
There surely aren't 3500 reasons to buy the '14 over the '13.

:hello: See, MG, we do agree more times than you give me credit for!
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Sheepdog_imp said:
Lol 13 is red, 14 is blue. In Canada both come with the 4 in 1 exhaust and ABS. One model only not like the US
The '13 is red? Pretty sure that's a U.S. model that was imported. The Canada '13s were all white. Double check that it really has ABS. In '13 some U.S. models did and some didn't.
The '13 is red? Pretty sure that's a U.S. model that was imported. The Canada '13s were all white. Double check that it really has ABS. In '13 some U.S. models did and some didn't.
Since I'm from Canada I will chime in here: there was an early model in white (I actually looked at a few (used)before I bought mine (new)-I loved the white color scheme and they were rare and too far away for me to consider).
I believe there was a limited production run of about 100 bikes. 2012/13 model I believe. I think they were 5 speed and non abs.
The red model that is being looked is more than likely a US model (as Canada only had white and now blue). The speedometer will tell you for sure as its likely in mph (not metric).
Differences that stand out in appearance: 1. engine is partially blacked out, 2. pipes are wavy 4 into 1 stainless (not chrome and not waterfall). 3. wheels are a combo of black, silver.
the other things to consider as was mentioned previously: 5 speed vs 6, Abs (but these are already mentioned previously).
I am guessing Ferret will have the correct and final answer on the exact differences. Hopefully this is helpful? I've seen the red in person (it was a US model). Its an awesome bike.
good luck with whatever you decide to do. Both are good choices I'm sure :)
 
I know some dealers brought US bikes in as new when these first came out. I bought my 2013 white from Carter in Vancouver, who dealer traded it from Edmonton. The week prior they had brought in a red for a customer from Washington State. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a US import even if the guy bought it new in Canada.
 
kmoney_imp said:
I know some dealers brought US bikes in as new when these first came out. I bought my 2013 white from Carter in Vancouver, who dealer traded it from Edmonton. The week prior they had brought in a red for a customer from Washington State. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a US import even if the guy bought it new in Canada.
I wonder if they swapped out the gauges?
 
I can't remember. I think dual markings is enough to satisfy our import laws, so they wouldn't have to.

I want to say there is a sticker certifying the ignition system complies with Canadian law on the frame rail under the seat of the Canadian bikes. I'll look later, but this wouldn't be on a US import.
 
Thread starter
Ok so the red one is a US model imported by the current owner. But I did locate a white one now too. Waiting to hear back from the seller. It's priced right between the other two.
 
Back
Top