2013 STD seat vs. 2014 DLX seat

VTR1000F_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Sorry for bringing this up again. I´m sure it had been discussed but many new DLX owners here. I have a 2013 STD with some comfort upgrades such as tamer throttle tube, small alu fairing and pilion bar, some performance upgrades as a fulll Moriwaki dual silencer system and Power Commander and some purely visual upgrade such as RLETs.

The bike is now in excellent lovely condition and I love to ride it, but I´m still not comfortable with stock seat. Today I visited a dealer who let me sit on new DLX bike with its stitched retro seat. My first impression that althoug it looks great, it is the same stiff seat as my STD seat. I love the looks of it and I would upgrade just for looks, but I expected it to be more comfortable too.

PLease who upgraded from 2013 to 2014, what is your opinion?

I travelled some distances on my old CX 500 and it is much more comfortable for 100 miles and up rides...
 
I have the DLX and after an hour and a half my butt hurts and that's with an Alaska sheepskin pad! I don't think there's much difference in comfort between the 2 For longer distance I now have an airhawk seat pad, that's really the way to go.
 
I have a theory....
One thing I noticed between my K&H seat and 2013 stock seat, is that the stock seat base bends very easily( flexes), the K&H does not, at all, I'm thinking that's why the CB seat always keep you sliding forward and hurting your butt.
How about other brand or motorcycle seats, do they flex as easy as the CB's?
 
HikerToo_imp said:
I have a theory....
One thing I noticed between my K&H seat and 2013 stock seat, is that the stock seat base bends very easily( flexes), the K&H does not, at all, I'm thinking that's why the CB seat always keep you sliding forward and hurting your butt.
How about other brand or motorcycle seats, do they flex as easy as the CB's?
My custom seat is on the original seat pan, I get tired before my butt ever hurts. Most comfortable seat of any bike i have ever owned.
 
Same here, very little if any difference between the sets of the 2013 and 2014.
I have a standard Corbin on one and a higher Corbin on the other bike.

They are much better for ME !
 
I agree with the comments here. I moved from a 13 to 14DLX - I love the look of the new seat. Its shape is a little better me which makes it slightly better position for me, but really not materially more comfortable after 20 miles or so. My butt still can only stand and hour or so - I am really looking for that perfect super comfy seat too. I would buy the DLX seat for looks alone, but don't expect too much relief

Many have recommended the airhawk gel pad on other posts I have read - albeit its not attractive
 
I have both the 2013 and 2014 DLX bikes. I find the seats uncomfortable on both after an hour or so. Bought a Corbin seat and can go much longer now.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Seat comfort seems to be an individual thing. That said, I found the stock '13 seat uncomfortable after about 45 minutes to an hour. I bought a '14 deluxe seat and put it on, and have never gone back. It's not the most comfortable seat I've ever had, but for me it was a definite improvement over the '13. I can probably ride half again as long before discomfort starts to set in. It's also a bit taller, so opens up the seat-peg distance slightly (which was a plus for me).
 
A 'stiff' seat while sitting on a bike at rest for a minute or two can be misleading. The only thing that matters is how it feels after some time riding, and what might feel like a rock at rest could actually be better for the long haul. Case in point, my K&H cafe seat. It's significantly harder on the rump at rest, but provides superior comfort for riding. Your butt may vary.
 
Yep, my bicycle seats are almost solid leather with no padding, I can ride on them longer with no soreness, hours longer than the CB, because they fit my sit-bones perfectly.
 
At the risk of sounding like a broken record: AirHawk
 
Houtman_imp said:
Same here, very little if any difference between the sets of the 2013 and 2014.
I have a standard Corbin on one and a higher Corbin on the other bike.

They are much better for ME !
Which corbin do you like better?
 
For longer rides I like the higher Corbin better as it is softer due to more /thicker foam.
For shorter rides and the more twisty roads probably the lower one is more suitable as you sit a little lower on the bike with more back support.
I am 6 ft so the higher seat is easier on my legs/knees but for riders less than 6 ft it could be a little too high but it depends on the length of your legs.
Having both and as they are interchangeable between my 2013 and 2014 makes it easy to pick one for the intended ride.
 
I plan on getting a corbin for next year's riding season. Just not sure which one.

I am 6' tall and I like the idea of the pocket of the short corbin to keep me planted on the seat but many have commented that corbin makes a hard seat.
 
Yes, the Corbin feels hard in the beginning but gives a better support as your weight is spread over a larger area.
After a while it feels less hard.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Yes, the Corbin feels hard in the beginning but gives a better support as your weight is spread over a larger area.
After a while it feels less hard.
The standard seat of the 2013 model feels alright after getting used to it.
That will take some thousand kilometers. I don't find a change necessary.
But as once wrote before in this thread, sitting on a motorbike is a very individual thing.

Wisedrum
 
Johnboy_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
At the risk of sounding like a broken record: AirHawk
Which airhawk seat cushion do u have ? the small pillion, the small cruiser , or the medium cruiser ?
Which airhawk seat cushion do u have ? the small pillion, the small cruiser , or the medium cruiser ?
I'm pretty sure it's the AirHawk2 medium cruiser seat. The cover is described as AH2-M and the actual cushion as AH2MED-S. The dimensions are 14.25" x 15.00" x 1.50".
 
Back
Top