2013 running rough

huxley2_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Guys, don’t post often.

Got a 2013 cb1100. Bought new in mid 2014, so had it about 3 1/2 years.
Don’t ride often, it has 410 miles on it. Have changed the oil couple of times,
New battery, Staintune pipe, nothing else. Ride it once every 4-6 weeks I’d say, but not far, as you can tell.

Problem - starts great, tends to run good in 1st. Warm it up, shift to second, it is stumbling and missing, but wind it up a little and seems better. Almost seems like running on 3 cylinders until cleans up.

Done this last 2 or 3 times. What could this be? Bad gas, but use no ethanol and stabilizer. Ignition or fouling plug? Take to dealer?

I know, ride it more, run it harder maybe. Just don’t want to have to walk.

Any ideas or comments/suggestions?
 
It is complaining about not being ridden!
Pull the plugs (14 mm socket) and see how they look
No codes?
My theory on keeping injectors clean is to run WOT on a regular basis.
Take it out for 100+ miles and see if it improves.
 
Stale gas. Try using up what's left in the tank, then refill with fresh and see if that doesn't clear things up. A little Seafoam or fuel injection cleaner in the tank wouldn't hurt either.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Stale gas. Try using up what's left in the tank, then refill with fresh and see if that doesn't clear things up. A little Seafoam or fuel injection cleaner in the tank wouldn't hurt either.
Good thought. May also be a bit of water in the bottom of the tank.
 
I'd dump about 5 -7 oz of seafoam in it, in a fresh tank of gas, and take it out for a good spin, and see if that doesn't clear it up.

My goodness 410 miles in 3 1/2 years. No wonder it isn't running well.

Most motorcycles are not worn out, they are neglected to death.
 
Yep, it sounds like a prescription of fresh gas + seafoam + rev therapy might be all that your CB is in need of. Good luck.
 
The condition you describe sounds very similar to what I experienced about two years ago, but much worse. You most-likely have an issue with bad gas, like all of the other replies are stating, but I suggest that AFTER you get fresh fuel in it you perform the throttle position sensor reset: With the motor off, and the key on, slowly twist the throttle from full closed to full open slowly, and then back to full closed, slowly. Repeat two more times. Start your motor - that's all there is to it.

Good luck.
 
Thread starter
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Will report back soon. And Dave, will also do the reset, and see if it helps.

I have the old gas out, really strong and foul smelling. Put in fresh gas and seafoam. Rode about a mile and a half, still same problem. Suspect I need to ride it further and a little harder to give the fresh gas a chance.
 
huxley2_imp said:
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Will report back soon. And Dave, will also do the reset, and see if it helps.

I have the old gas out, really strong and foul smelling. Put in fresh gas and seafoam. Rode about a mile and a half, still same problem. Suspect I need to ride it further and a little harder to give the fresh gas a chance.
1.5 mile might not be enough to clear bad gas from the injection system
At 50 MPG, 1.5 mile would only use up 0.03 gallon or <4 ounces.
 
Ride minimum 1-2-3h .. ride still some hard between ....but only if is the engine wonderful warm eventual after 30min driving ......make empty your actual gaztank but now put cleaner in too......after fiĺl up again too with cleaner and make it again empty in short time ...after fill up again put cleaner in and ride ride ride in the future
 
Thread starter
So an update. Haven’t ridden it due to cold and wet weather. Happened by the dealership where I bought it, both to look at the new cb1100 and talk to the service manager. First, they had a new cb11, but sold it. Plan to get another in the Feb to March timeframe, due to slow sales. And then the guy turned away and went back in his office and sat down, leaving me standing there. Nothing, zilch. Why the heck did he think I was asking if not interested? Zero sales skills, and the showroom floor was empty. Guess he needed the rest on a Saturday morning.

Proceeded to the service dept. Described the problems to the service manager, and he too suggested fresh gas. Then he says- 99% sure it is the plugs. Bottom line, replace em. Headed to the parts dept, give me 4. Woops, not in stock, due to slow sales. Will order them, $19 each. He looks me up in the computer, sees I’ve bought Dozens of cycles, 4 wheelers and recently a side by side 1000-5 over a 20 year period, says no need to pay for them now. I’ll call you. Hope so.
 
huxley2_imp said:
So an update. Haven’t ridden it due to cold and wet weather. Happened by the dealership where I bought it, both to look at the new cb1100 and talk to the service manager. First, they had a new cb11, but sold it. Plan to get another in the Feb to March timeframe, due to slow sales. And then the guy turned away and went back in his office and sat down, leaving me standing there. Nothing, zilch. Why the heck did he think I was asking if not interested? Zero sales skills, and the showroom floor was empty. Guess he needed the rest on a Saturday morning.

Proceeded to the service dept. Described the problems to the service manager, and he too suggested fresh gas. Then he says- 99% sure it is the plugs. Bottom line, replace em. Headed to the parts dept, give me 4. Woops, not in stock, due to slow sales. Will order them, $19 each. He looks me up in the computer, sees I’ve bought Dozens of cycles, 4 wheelers and recently a side by side 1000-5 over a 20 year period, says no need to pay for them now. I’ll call you. Hope so.
Anybody remember the site where they were being sold for about $7 each?
 
NGK LMAR8A-9S (stock 6817) are available from O’reilly’s for $5.99 each.
 
Thread starter
Update.

The new plugs I ordered at the dealership arrived, I got em this morning. Thanks to a number of posters telling me I could have gotten them cheaper. But I ordered them and went on with the $17.99 price.

Came home and pulled the old ones. With about 420 miles on the bike, I would have guessed they had 42,000 on them. Just looked real black and burned on the ends. Not “wet”at all, just soot black. In went the new ones. And yea, my stubby fingers were having a problem with the “inside” ones. Pulled the seat, unbolted the back of the tank, stuck a big socket under it, had increased space to work em. Easy them.

Cranked it up, sounded and idled perfect. Out I went in the 43 degree weather. Perfect! No misses, no pops or backfires, no issues whatsoever. Pulled strong at all rev levels. The new plugs did the trick.

Thanks to all.
 
That's great news huxley. NOw ride that thing once in a while to keep those new plugs clean!
 
Thread starter
Will do. Got the bug again after turning the wrenches today.

I’m guessing my short and low rev rides were the major contributor to the way the old plugs looked.
 
Glad to hear that fixed your problem. Plugs can get sooty if you're starting the bike and taking it for short rides that don't allow the engine to come up to operating temp. Also happens to those that occasionally start up an unused bike and let it idle for awhile before shutting down (not a good practice for other reasons).

When cold, the fuel injection is pumping extra fuel to enrich the mixture (like the old time choke function). The rich mixture will cause soot to accumulate on the plugs until the combustion temperatures get hot enough to burn off the soot. Unfortunately, once a plug accumulates enough soot to keep it from firing properly, the combustion temps will never get high enough to burn it off.

Fortunately, the solution is easy. Ride, ride, ride! :D

Edit : If you give those old plugs a good cleaning, you should be able to use them again.
 
Back
Top